Mac
  1. MacBook Air
  2. MacBook Pro
  3. Mac Pro
Classic Mac
  1. Quadra
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
I prefer working with live circuits. lol I will go down to Best Buy and pick that up, I have a bunch of wires with ends on them m/F from this project I was working on recently.

You still left out the final string to program the new flash to the TR lol. :beachball:
Yes, intentionally left that out. If you'd like to be a beta tester, I'll PM the command line to you instead of posting it in public. Don't want the general public (yet) to do this.

CaseySJ

Motherboard
Gigabyte Z490 Vision D
CPU
i5-10400
Graphics
RX 580
Mac
  1. MacBook Air
  2. MacBook Pro
  3. Mac Pro
Classic Mac
  1. Quadra
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
Can we install more than one Titan Ridge controller on Designare Z390?
These are preliminary findings. (This post still under construction.)​

Step 1:
  • Install GC-Titan Ridge in bottom long slot with modified SSDT for RP21, but original firmware.
  • This card has firmware version 43.
Result:
  • By connecting pins 3 and 5 in the Thunderbolt header of the GC-Titan Ridge, we force power to the controller and it appears under PR21.
  • USB-C devices connect and operate normally.
  • Thunderbolt devices do not function. Both cold connections and hot plug connections fail with Thunderbolt devices.
  • However, on-board Titan Ridge at RP05 works fine, including hot plug.
Screen Shot 2020-03-04 at 7.03.20 PM.png
Step 2:
  • Flash the modified firmware onto the card. The modified firmware is a downgrade to version 23.
    • Complete. Used flashrom on Raspberry Pi 4 to flash modified NVM 23 to GC-Titan Ridge.
    • It seems okay to downgrade the firmware from original NVM 43 to modified NVM 23.
  • Check Thunderbolt functionality, including Thunderbolt Bus, Local Node, and Hot Plug.
    • Complete. Thunderbolt Bus appears!
    • It is possible to use multiple Titan Ridge controllers on Designare Z390.
    • GC-Titan Ridge add-in-card must have Pins 3 and 5 tied together to force power.
    • Experiencing some issues, namely:
      • Thunderbolt devices need to be hot-plugged to be activated.
      • Second Thunderbolt port does not seem to work with Thunderbolt devices.
      • USB-C devices don't function on either port. UPDATE: This was my fault in not using unique names for XHC controllers on RP05 and RP21. I've changed them to XHC2 and XHC3, respectively.
      • These are preliminary issues and may be due to something I did or something I did not do.
Screen Shot 2020-03-04 at 7.47.57 PM.png

Strange Result #1:
  • The PowerColor Gaming Station eGPU has never worked on the Designare Z390 with hot-plug until now.
  • But the really strange result is this:
    • eGPU does not work properly when connected to modified GC-Titan Ridge.
    • eGPU does, however, work correctly when connected to internal Titan Ridge controller.
    • As long as Thunderbolt Bus is present (even if Thunderbolt Bus is from GC-Titan Ridge only), then eGPU works on internal RP05. Even the menu bar icon is present and functioning on Designare Z390.
  • Wondering if we need to switch to MacPro 7,1 system definition...
Screen Shot 2020-03-04 at 8.22.50 PM.png

Screen Shot 2020-03-04 at 8.27.55 PM.png

Last edited:
Motherboard
Gigabyte Z370 Gaming 5
CPU
I9 9900k
Graphics
Vega 64
Mac
  1. Mac mini
  2. Mac Pro
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
Yes, intentionally left that out. If you'd like to be a beta tester, I'll PM the command line to you instead of posting it in public. Don't want the general public (yet) to do this.

Fair enough yes send it over in the PM. thanks... I just got back from best buy with the stuff needed.

Motherboard
Gigabyte Z370 Gaming 5
CPU
I9 9900k
Graphics
Vega 64
Mac
  1. Mac mini
  2. Mac Pro
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
Already done.

Thanks so I can read the alpine ridge without any issues but for some reason I can not read the titan ridge. I am going to grab OSY bin and put it on the alpine ridge and cross my fingers.
edit
it is reading it now...

Last edited:
Motherboard
Gigabyte GA-Z170X Designare
CPU
i7-6700K
Graphics
RX Vega 64
Mac
  1. iMac
  2. MacBook
  3. Mac Pro
Classic Mac
  1. Color Classic
  2. iMac
  3. Power Mac
  4. PowerBook
  5. SE/30
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
@qthegaijin,

Very interesting post!!
  • Which tool did you use to flash the GC-Titan Ridge?
  • If you used a CH341A programmer, did you connect Pin 28 to 3V3 (Pin 2) of the AMS1117?
  • MacPro 5,1:
    • DSM2.Hackintosh is working on a modification to the Thunderbolt SSDT.
  • Gigabyte Z170X Designare:
    • The screenshot of 10.12.2 at RP05 does not actually show full Thunderbolt Bus. It does show that Thunderbolt is working in ICM mode (Intel Connection Manager).
      • I assume that the on-board Alpine Ridge firmware has not been patched? Is that correct?
    • If the Antelope Audio device works fully under Alpine Ridge with 10.12.2, then I'm curious why it fails with the same Alpine Ridge under 10.12.6?
    • I didn't realize that this motherboard has an on-board Alpine Ridge controller and a Thunderbolt header (THB_C) for an add-in-card! How nice...
    • With the modified firmware on the GC-Titan Ridge, your screenshot clearly shows Thunderbolt Bus, so it's good to see that it works when (a) connected via THB_C and also when (b) pins 3 and 5 are jumpered.
      • Do other TB3 devices work fully?
      • If you have a Thunderbolt 3 dock (most of them have Alpine Ridge chips inside), have you tried connecting the dock to GC-Titan Ridge and then connecting the Antelope device to the dock?

- Used this flasher: Organizer Flasher
- already output 3.3V. It had no issues reading and flashing the cards.

Mac Pro 5,1:
Yup, waiting patiently for the new SSDT

Z170X Designare:
- This has not been patched at all, this is what happens from a clean install with bios settings at No security. Every time I try to patch it now that I know what to do, the titan ridge patch disappears. Another thing to note which I forgot to post is on that install I am running a much older version of clover, I think in the mid 45's.
- I think Apple changed something in the Thunderbolt drivers, as per my screenshot showing the different sizes of them in my first post. That the only thing I can think, since up until 12.5 I had no issues with TB3 and antelope.
- Yup! It is one of the reasons I purchased the board, I wanted to have as many TB3 ports as possible for audio/video stuff.
- Other devices work fully, Thunderbolt Docks are recognized and show up in the tree as well as options in System Prefs.
- The antelope device DOES NOT work when connected through the dock, the same tree appears in IOreg. We tested with an Orion Studio rev 2017 and a Discrete 8 interface.

I posted a bit more info over on the Macrumors thread along with my Ioreg and PCI readouts. I will PM them to you so you can see what happens when the antelope is attached to the Titan Ridge card.

My 3rd Z170X-Designare board arrived today and I plan on doing one clover and one open core install on it. REALLY hoping it works since it was a $90, board only, eBay buy.

Edit: I guess i don't have enough posts yet to PM.

Last edited:
Motherboard
Gigabyte Z370 Gaming 5
CPU
I9 9900k
Graphics
Vega 64
Mac
  1. Mac mini
  2. Mac Pro
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
I'll provide some guidelines for this as well.

So it looks like it flashed properly it shows up in the device tree, it shows up in PCI, the drives show up, but no hot swap. Also the card only shows up if something is plugged into it at boot, not even in the bios but it has always been that way.

I have no SSDT file for the thunderbolt.

As for the Alpine Ridge I could not actually find modified firmware. DSB said OSY method works for PCI alpine ridge but I am not sure I follow that method. However, if you gave me stupid simple instructions like you have been I could easily follow them.

The card is located in the bottom slot of my board its the only one that it works in and it is RP21.

Edit:

I found an old file that I was able to get Hot sawp to work with with my alpine ridge card in the past but it would crash on sleep before. It never worked with the Titian Ridge it is however, working currently sleep quickly wakes but does not crash.

Screen Shot 2020-03-05 at 12.07.40 AM.pngScreen Shot 2020-03-05 at 12.03.20 AM.pngScreen Shot 2020-03-05 at 12.05.14 AM.pngScreen Shot 2020-03-05 at 12.06.35 AM.png

Hotswap - Works
Plugged in at boot - Works
Plugging after boot - Works
Both Ports:

BUG: if you plug something in after boot it does not populate the IOReg tree past USP0 even those the device is operational. I also noticed the Linkspeed is not 40GB maybe that is my SSDT.

Thanks for all your help so far!

Last edited:
Motherboard
Gigabyte Z370 Gaming 5
CPU
I9 9900k
Graphics
Vega 64
Mac
  1. Mac mini
  2. Mac Pro
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
None, it is whatever is built into the board.

Drat was hoping you had some magic for the alpine ridge card like the modified firmware for the titan ridge.

Motherboard
ASUS X299 Prime Deluxe
CPU
i9-9980XE
Graphics
Vega 56
Mac
  1. iMac
  2. MacBook Air
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
Tonight I flashed a GB Titan Ridge with NVM 23 (both chips) with Reveltronics Revelprog-IS; very easy.

Next, I soldered pin 3,5 on back of PCB (no need to use jumpers; I verified with ohmmeter before soldering that these 2 pins are correct).

This system (not Designare, but with a similarly built-in TB chip) shows a TB presence in SystemInformation, but no expanded node in IORegistryExplorer.

Tomorrow, I'll replace a second, as yet un-modified GB TR in the X299 build with the NVM 23 board and see how it works.

Attachments

• GB TR_soldered 3,5.jpg
    GB TR_soldered 3,5.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 108