CPU
i7 8700
Graphics
RX580 Nitro+
Mac
  1. MacBook Pro
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
It feels pretty random honestly. In this case it happened right when I finished watching a youtube video but trying to reproduce it didn't work. Other freezes didn't seem to happen during any particular action.
Just had another freeze while trying to write an email in Safari.

This time it froze completely. No cursor, no nothing.

Edit: Right after that freeze, restarted, connected a USB3 SSD, froze completely. Restarted again, connected this USB3 SSD again, no freeze. This is pretty weird and happens often now.

Last edited:

CaseySJ

Motherboard
Gigabyte Z490 Vision D
CPU
i5-10400
Graphics
RX 580
Mac
  1. MacBook Air
  2. MacBook Pro
  3. Mac Pro
Classic Mac
  1. Quadra
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
Just had another freeze while trying to write an email in Safari.

This time it froze completely. No cursor, no nothing.
There's another Process of Elimination suggestion for that:
  • We perform a fresh installation of Mojave or Catalina on a spare SSD.
  • We do not install any of our third-party apps (simple utilities are okay).
  • We then disconnect the internal SSD/NVMe.
  • We boot from the fresh installation and check whether the system is stable during YouTube, browsing, etc. If the system is rock solid, then we install one "heavy" third-party app at a time (on the fresh install disk) and check again for reliability. Then we repeat with other apps.

Motherboard
Gigabyte Z390 Designare
CPU
i7 8700
Graphics
RX580 Nitro+
Mac
  1. MacBook Pro
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
There's another Process of Elimination suggestion for that:
  • We perform a fresh installation of Mojave or Catalina on a spare SSD.
  • We do not install any of our third-party apps (simple utilities are okay).
  • We then disconnect the internal SSD/NVMe.
  • We boot from the fresh installation and check whether the system is stable during YouTube, browsing, etc. If the system is rock solid, then we install one "heavy" third-party app at a time (on the fresh install disk) and check again for reliability. Then we repeat with other apps.
Thanks for the suggestion, Casey!

Seems like a pretty laborious process which I'll probably end up doing soon if the system keeps crashing like this.
I'm just curious what you mean by the "heavy" third-party apps.

CaseySJ

Motherboard
Gigabyte Z490 Vision D
CPU
i5-10400
Graphics
RX 580
Mac
  1. MacBook Air
  2. MacBook Pro
  3. Mac Pro
Classic Mac
  1. Quadra
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
I'm just curious what you mean by the "heavy" third-party apps.
These would be (a) pro apps like Final Cut, Adobe Premiere, Photoshop, Logic Pro, Da Vinci Resolve, etc. and (b) apps that install drivers such as UAD audio devices, Antelope audio, etc.

Motherboard
Gigabyte Z370 Gaming 5
CPU
I9 9900k
Graphics
Vega 64
Mac
  1. Mac mini
  2. Mac Pro
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
Motherboard
Asus Rampage VI Extreme
CPU
i9-7960X
Graphics
Radeon VII
Mac
  1. MacBook Pro
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
Technically, we might not need a Thunderbolt header. Instead, we could bridge two wires on the THB_C port of the add-in-card itself to force it to power on the Thunderbolt controller. However, I'm not sure if it's possible to add a second Titan Ridge controller. I plan to test this soon.

You can add a second Titan Ridge without problems. With de correct "ThunderboltConfig" you can obtain full tree Node & HotPlug. (I configured it in PEG & PXSX) Tested with eGPU & Sonnet 10Gbe.

Attachments

• Captura de pantalla 2020-03-04 a las 20.58.53.png
    Captura de pantalla 2020-03-04 a las 20.58.53.png
    1 MB · Views: 79
  • Captura de pantalla 2020-03-04 a las 20.57.55.png
    Captura de pantalla 2020-03-04 a las 20.57.55.png
    1 MB · Views: 71

CaseySJ

Motherboard
Gigabyte Z490 Vision D
CPU
i5-10400
Graphics
RX 580
Mac
  1. MacBook Air
  2. MacBook Pro
  3. Mac Pro
Classic Mac
  1. Quadra
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
You can add a second Titan Ridge without problems. With de correct "ThunderboltConfig" you can obtain full tree Node & HotPlug. (I configured it in PEG & PXSX) Tested with eGPU & Sonnet 10Gbe.
Can you please share your ThunderboltConfig and SSDT? If you're getting a Titan Ridge to work normally, all of us would be extremely interested to see how you did it.

EDIT:
  • Maybe I misunderstood. Are you using a flashed GC-Titan Ridge or it still has the original firmware?

Last edited:

CaseySJ

Motherboard
Gigabyte Z490 Vision D
CPU
i5-10400
Graphics
RX 580
Mac
  1. MacBook Air
  2. MacBook Pro
  3. Mac Pro
Classic Mac
  1. Quadra
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
When I look online for how to do this mod it looks like you also need to connect to C4 the top side of the little resister to left of your red wire.
Yes I have seen that in every photo as well. When I return home this evening I'll use a magnifying glass to look at that C3/C4 component. I'm not sure right now whether that's a resistor or capacitor. Resistors are labeled with R, but these devices look like SMD capacitors (Surface Mount Device).

Screen Shot 2020-03-04 at 1.02.01 PM.png

Last edited:
Motherboard
Gigabyte Z370 Gaming 5
CPU
I9 9900k
Graphics
Vega 64
Mac
  1. Mac mini
  2. Mac Pro
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
Yes I have seen that in every photo as well. When I return home this evening I'll use a magnifying glass to look at that C3/C4 component. I'm not sure right now whether that's a resistor or capacitor. Resistors are labeled with R, but these devices look like SMD capacitors (Surface Mount Device).

View attachment 453026

Sorry it is a capacitor.
This is what I was looking at.

it is the part that concerns me. the rest of the soldering I can do. Something about pin 9 needing 3.3v also is best I can gather.

CaseySJ

Motherboard
Gigabyte Z490 Vision D
CPU
i5-10400
Graphics
RX 580
Mac
  1. MacBook Air
  2. MacBook Pro
  3. Mac Pro
Classic Mac
  1. Quadra
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
Sorry it is a capacitor.
This is what I was looking at.

it is the part that concerns me. the rest of the soldering I can do. Something about pin 9 needing 3.3v also is best I can gather.
Yes! This is what I was looking for. We don’t have to worry about Pin 9. The C4 capacitor (or C3 on some models) is also connected to Pin 9. I think the article just mentions pin 9 as FYI.