Register

[SUCCESS] Gigabyte Designare Z390 (Thunderbolt 3) + i7-9700K + AMD RX 580

Motherboard
z390 designare
CPU
i9-9900k
Graphics
Vega 64
Is there perhaps a setting in your config.plist (in the GUI section) that is hiding any disk volumes?
No, I made sure they all show. I know weird huh? I think it does need a fresh OS X system install - no worries, I will just do it on another drive, I bet this is within OS X itself

Motherboard
Gigabyte Z390 Designare
CPU
i9-9900K
Graphics
AMD RX VEGA 56
Mac
iMac, MacBook, MacBook Pro, Mac Pro
Classic Mac
Classic, iBook, iMac, LC, Performa, Power Mac
Mobile Phone
iOS
I too would love to see what everyone else is getting on benchmarks. We put a lot of work into getting these machines running smoothly, I'd like to know where my rig matches up to everyone one else's.

Here is my Geekbench 5.0 and Luxmark scores. GeekBench is what I'd like to see the most. I have no idea what people get when they overclock the i9 9900K in a Hackintosh. I tried overclocking a some but my Geekbench numbers never really change.

Attachments

Motherboard
Gigabyte Z390 Designare
CPU
i9-9900K
Graphics
RX 580
Mac
MacBook Pro
Mobile Phone
iOS
Hi
First of all I want to thank you a 1000 times for this impressive and awesome guide.
I have basically built the exact same system from the guide (except with i9-9900k) and it has been working flawlessly in every aspect for 2 months on Mojave 10.14.6.

However, I have now stumbled upon the very worrying statement from the maker of OsxAptioFix2Drv-free2000.efi.
It states that eventually this WILL damage your hardware.

I'm mixing a film right now so I am stressing the system pretty good. I can not afford to have it break on me right now, and I want to fix this free2000 thing right away. I'm on clover r5104.

From what I have found, I should need to simply copy the 3 files from OcQuirks Rev 15 (FwRuntimeServices.efi, OcQuirks.efi and OcQuirks.plist) from the catalina mini-guide to the drivers/UEFI folder, replacing the free2000 driver.

Is this correct?
I wanted to double check this because I really can't afford a screw-up right now. I see another user has just posted a question, my question is essentially the same because I'm also on Mojave.

Also, is there any chance that this may interfere with other stuff like shutdown, sleep, nvram... or is this pretty much done and tested safe?

Thank you very much!

Last edited:
Motherboard
Gigabyte Z390 Designare
CPU
i9-9900K
Graphics
RX 580
Mac
MacBook Pro
Mobile Phone
iOS
Hello Ploddles,

Thank you for responding, see attachment with the content of the patched folder, yes I do have SSD-NVRAM.aml in it.

So you have VirtualSMC.kext + the two other files both in Kexts/Other and /L/E and VirtualSMC.efi in the UEFI folder and that is working for you? Do you mind posting a screenshot of the contents of your /L/E?

The boot stops with the message HID: Legacy shim 2. CSM support in BIOS is disabled, I enabled that for testing but at the time that didn't make a difference. Do you have CSM support enabled?

I don't know tinker, I just googled it and downloaded it. Where can I find more info on how to use it in the way you just wrote to me? So after I created a bootable usb drive I copy the EFI contents of my Mojave disc to the EFI of this bootable usb drive and then...copy the files of a previously working EFI content? Sorry, newbie in this area.

Best regards
As promised, attached is my original EFI, named EFI-OldQuirks.zip

As CaseySJ has released a new version of OcQuirks.efi, OcQuirks.plist and FwRuntimeServices.efi, I did a test update with these and can confirm that all is well on my system.

As such, also attached is my new EFI, named EFI-NewQuircks.zip

Screenshot 2020-02-19 at 19.55.34.png

Attachments

CaseySJ

Motherboard
Gigabyte Designare Z390
CPU
i7-9700K
Graphics
RX 5700 XT
Mac
MacBook Air, Mac Pro
Classic Mac
Quadra
Mobile Phone
iOS
Hi
First of all I want to thank you a 1000 times for this impressive and awesome guide.
I have basically built the exact same system from the guide (except with i9-9900k) and it has been working flawlessly in every aspect for 2 months on Mojave 10.14.6.

However, I have now stumbled upon the very worrying statement from the maker of OsxAptioFix2Drv-free2000.efi.
It states that eventually this WILL damage your hardware.

I'm mixing a film right now so I am stressing the system pretty good. I can not afford to have it break on me right now, and I want to fix this free2000 thing right away. I'm on clover r5104.

From what I have found, I should need to simply copy the 3 files from OcQuirks Rev 15 (FwRuntimeServices.efi, OcQuirks.efi and OcQuirks.plist) from the catalina mini-guide to the drivers/UEFI folder, replacing the free2000 driver.

Is this correct?
I wanted to double check this because I really can't afford a screw-up right now. I see another user has just posted a question, my question is essentially the same because I'm also on Mojave.

Also, is there any chance that this may interfere with other stuff like shutdown, sleep, nvram... or is this pretty much done and tested safe?

Thank you very much!
Hello @habibelhabab1,

Good questions:
  • OsxAptioFix2Drv-free2000 is not recommended, but it will not damage your system. The "very worrying statement from the maker" is exaggerated.
  • If you're in the middle of a project, it is okay to continue using OsxAptioFix2Drv-free2000. I used it for nearly a year without any issue of any kind.
  • To switch to the new recommended drivers, however, we strongly recommend making a full bootable backup of your system ahead of time.
  • If you have already switched to Clover 5104 and have deleted the old drivers64UEFIfolder, then you're in good shape to switch.
    • Simply delete OsxAptioFix2Drv-free2000 and replace it with the three files in the Catalina Mini Guide.
    • Sometimes it's a good idea to perform a CMOS Reset as well to clear the memory map. This should be done in accordance with instruction in the Designare User's Manual. All BIOS parameters must then be re-configured starting with Load Optimized Defaults.

Motherboard
Gigabyte Z390 Designare
CPU
i9-9900K Coffee Lake
Graphics
MSI Radeon RX 580 Armor 8G
Mac
iMac
Mobile Phone
iOS
As promised, attached is my original EFI, named EFI-OldQuirks.zip

As CaseySJ has released a new version of OcQuirks.efi, OcQuirks.plist and FwRuntimeServices.efi, I did a test update with these and can confirm that all is well on my system.

As such, also attached is my new EFI, named EFI-NewQuircks.zip

View attachment 450790
Hello Ploddles,

Thank you for keeping your promise, I'll do some more testing with this info, I'm not sure when because I don't have much time at them moment but I will come back to you as soon as I have results.

Best regards

Motherboard
Gigabyte Z390 Designare
CPU
i9-9900K
Graphics
RX 580
Mac
Mac Pro
I can not afford to have it break on me right now,
My hack system is used in a Production (editing) environment everyday.
I can not emphasize enough to NOT make ANY changes to your system in the middle of a critical project, EVER.

Its' generally accepted that the free 2000 developer's warning is more of a CYA statement and there have been no severe/verified failures with the use of OsxAptioFix2Drv-free2000.

Now, if you insist on updating your system, be sure to follow the 3 rules below -
1. Backup your system and confirm you can boot to the backup
2. Backup your system and confirm you can boot to the backup
3. Backup your system and confirm you can boot to the backup

CaseySJ

Motherboard
Gigabyte Designare Z390
CPU
i7-9700K
Graphics
RX 5700 XT
Mac
MacBook Air, Mac Pro
Classic Mac
Quadra
Mobile Phone
iOS
Casey, could you clarify if this update is safe for Mojave users as well?
Thank you!
I may need a volunteer to test it on Mojave! Hint, hint.

Motherboard
Gigabyte Z390 Designare
CPU
i9-9900K
Graphics
RX 580
Mac
MacBook Pro
Mobile Phone
iOS
@CaseySJ, @Zip1, Thank you VERY much for your replies.

I have a full bootable backup on a 2nd NVME SSD of my pro tools system so I can pretty much swap and continue to work. However I am going to leave it for now and test this next week. Will report back.
I don't fully understand what this driver does, so what exactly would you like me to look out for while testing it on mojave?