Register

[SUCCESS] Gigabyte Designare Z390 (Thunderbolt 3) + i7-9700K + AMD RX 580

Motherboard
Gigabyte Z68-UD3H
CPU
i7
Graphics
HD 6850
So on my day off I figured I would do some reading and see if I can figure out how to get headless working with the iGPU. trying to familiarize myself with IORegExp, I see something a bit off and wondering if its an issue or not. can someone take a look and possibly explain?

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2020-01-20 at 10.19.07 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2020-01-20 at 10.19.07 AM.png
    112.1 KB · Views: 38

CaseySJ

Motherboard
Gigabyte Z490 Vision D
CPU
i5-10400
Graphics
RX 580
Mac
  1. MacBook Air
  2. MacBook Pro
  3. Mac Pro
Classic Mac
  1. Quadra
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
So on my day off I figured I would do some reading and see if I can figure out how to get headless working with the igpu. trying to familiarize myself with IORegExp, I see something a bit off and wondering if its an issue or not. can someone take a look and possibly explain?
That is perfectly normal. Certain child nodes will be terminated and reestablished dynamically as needed. The driver in the screenshot is for AMD discrete GPU.

CaseySJ

Motherboard
Gigabyte Z490 Vision D
CPU
i5-10400
Graphics
RX 580
Mac
  1. MacBook Air
  2. MacBook Pro
  3. Mac Pro
Classic Mac
  1. Quadra
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
Thank you @CaseySJ for the excellent guide. I followed and was up and running way faster than my first hackintosh, so cheers :clap:

I used a Samsung 970 EVO for my OS drive and upon testing the speed post-installation, I noticed it was significantly slower than expected (see attachments). I can't figure out why the link width is stuck at x1. I searched this thread and saw your comment here and decided that perhaps the fact that I had the NVMe SSD installed in the M2P slot, the PCI lanes may be limited.
I actually made an error in that linked post! Only the bottom long slot can be switched between CPU lanes and PCH lanes.
So, I popped the SSD out of M2P and put it into M2M, moved my SATA drives to S1/S2/S3. But this led to the issue of that drive not being recognized at all; in BIOS, there are no NVMe devices... I swapped it back to M2P and it booted back up (interestingly now it has a Link Width of x2 ‍:think: - Screenshot also attached).

Can someone help me understand why I wouldn't be able to swap the SSD from M2P to M2M? Do I need to start over with SSD installed at M2M
It almost seems like a problem with the NVMe drive itself. Before returning or replacing it, please try updating its firmware using Samsung Magician in Windows.

Motherboard
Gigabyte Z68-UD3H
CPU
i7
Graphics
HD 6850
That is perfectly normal. Certain child nodes will be terminated and reestablished dynamically as needed. The driver in the screenshot is for AMD discrete GPU.

thanks. I actually just noticed that regexplorer is dynamic. while reading I saw more being built while others terminated as you said.
anyway, this may be a catch 22 thing.... without the IGPU being enabled in BIOS its not going to be seen in regexplorer. but turning it on causes a panic. awesome puzzle

CaseySJ

Motherboard
Gigabyte Z490 Vision D
CPU
i5-10400
Graphics
RX 580
Mac
  1. MacBook Air
  2. MacBook Pro
  3. Mac Pro
Classic Mac
  1. Quadra
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
thanks. I actually just noticed that regexplorer is dynamic. while reading I saw more being built while others terminated as you said.
anyway, this may be a catch 22 thing.... without the IGPU being enabled in BIOS its not going to be seen in regexplorer. but turning it on causes a panic. awesome puzzle
If you're using OpenCore, then enabling IGPU in BIOS will, in most cases, cause a Couldn't allocate runtime area error at the very start of the boot process.

But if you're using Clover, there should be no problem enabling IGPU.

CaseySJ

Motherboard
Gigabyte Z490 Vision D
CPU
i5-10400
Graphics
RX 580
Mac
  1. MacBook Air
  2. MacBook Pro
  3. Mac Pro
Classic Mac
  1. Quadra
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
You guys are crazy, and this is so interesting. I wish I knew how to do all this. Can I ask a question? Does this need to be done for each new BIOS?
So, Casey, if you're on f8, and I'm on f9b, as an example, and I use your DDST/SSDT, would I be missing feature, or possibly introduce issues?
That's a good question. So far we need to make two changes to DSDT in order to use the new (but still experimental) version of Thunderbolt SSDT:
  • Change RP05._INI to RP05.XINI
  • Change _GPE._E17 to _GPE.XE17
These changes are necessary to prevent conflicts with same-name methods in the experimental Thunderbolt SSDT. While we can use a Clover ACPI rename entry to change _E17 to XE17 (because there is only 1 instance of this), we cannot do the same for renaming _INI to XINI (because there are many instances of _INI).

So we modify the DSDT itself to change RP05._INI to RP05.XINI. If we can figure out how to do this through a Clover rename, then we can do this dynamically on any DSDT regardless of whether it is F6, F7, F8, or F9b.

Motherboard
Gigabyte Z68-UD3H
CPU
i7
Graphics
HD 6850
If you're using OpenCore, then enabling IGPU in BIOS will, in most cases, cause a Couldn't allocate runtime area error at the very start of the boot process.

But if you're using Clover, there should be no problem enabling IGPU.

correct... but I moved to OC (n-d-k) so I figured I would fiddle around a bit today. if its a losing battle, ill move on.

CaseySJ

Motherboard
Gigabyte Z490 Vision D
CPU
i5-10400
Graphics
RX 580
Mac
  1. MacBook Air
  2. MacBook Pro
  3. Mac Pro
Classic Mac
  1. Quadra
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
correct... but I moved to OC (n-d-k) so I figured I would fiddle around a bit today. if its a losing battle, ill move on.
Yes, same problem with n-d-k fork of OpenCore!

Motherboard
Gigabyte Designare Z390
CPU
i9-9900K
Graphics
Radeon VII
Mac
  1. MacBook Pro
  2. Mac Pro
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
I have to say, I'm blown away. I bit the bullet this weekend and purchased this board hoping to gain some better support/stability from my system and everything came together fairly easily.

I've always had partial/flakey Thunderbolt on my old build, but with this new board and your help with the mini Catalina build, everything is basically - just working. For the first time ever, I actually do have literal Thunderbolt hotplug, and even sleep/wake, no weird USB issues, and overall the system seems nice! I am still in quite in shock over it!

I have encountered a few random hard locks/freezes, and I've made a few small tweaks to see if they help or not (removed the bootflag ID from Clover, swapped my HDMI + DP cables on my dual monitor setup to a DP + DP setup, and disabled CSM in BIOS). I initially tried just doing the 32 -> 16 Clover bootflag change I read about, but it didn't help, and my system refused to use my primary monitor when I tried removing WhateverGreen. Still too early to tell if these changes I did have brought back some stability and fixed the hard locks, but *fingers crossed*.

If everything pans out stability wise, I hope to upgrade to an i9 here within the next month or two. Do you expect any changes will be required, or should it be just a literal drop in replacement for an i7 8700K?

I did jump right to the latest F9b bios. I see that in the mini Catalina, it did say F8. Should I revert to F8?

Thanks again for doing this build and putting everything up here Casey! This is amazing. By far the most complete and quirky-less Hackintosh I've ever built/used.

Last edited: