1. MacBook Air
  2. MacBook Pro
  3. Mac Pro
Classic Mac
  1. Quadra
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
@shivakrishna

The components you listed are the ones I'm using personally, but this build guide accommodates numerous variations. The MSI RX 580 Gaming X, for example, may have been discontinued. But most RX 580 or RX 590 cards will work, as will Vega 56, Vega 64, Radeon VII, RX 5700, and RX 5700 XT. Sapphire Pulse is a good choice.

You can also use any Coffee Lake (8xxx) or Coffee Lake Refresh (9xxx) CPU.

Last edited:
Motherboard
Gigabyte TRX40 Aorus Xtreme
CPU
Ryzen 3970X
Graphics
RX 580
Mac
  1. MacBook
  2. MacBook Pro
Classic Mac
  1. Xserve
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
Ploddles in for the save!! Thank you. That did it.

I'd be lost without the help from this group..

Now that you have an updated working EFI on Clover 5xxx, you should update your (rescue) USB boot stick, you do have one don't you???

Run the Clover installer again but this time change the location to the USB stick. This time uncheck the UEFI check box and also untick the RC Scripts check box. When it has finished copy your working EFI folder to the USB UEFI partition EFI folder. Test it by booting from the USB stick.

CaseySJ

Motherboard
Gigabyte Z490 Vision D
CPU
i5-10400
Graphics
RX 580
Mac
  1. MacBook Air
  2. MacBook Pro
  3. Mac Pro
Classic Mac
  1. Quadra
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
Now that you have an updated working EFI on Clover 5xxx, you should update your (rescue) USB boot stick, you do have one don't you???

Run the Clover installer again but this time change the location to the USB stick. This time uncheck the UEFI check box and also untick the RC Scripts check box. When it has finished copy your working EFI folder to the USB UEFI partition EFI folder. Test it by booting from the USB stick.
We can simplify this procedure as follows:
  • Format USB flash disk as Scheme = GUID Partition Map.
  • Mount EFI Partitions of USB disk and macOS SSD.
  • Copy entire EFI Folder from macOS EFI Partition to USB EFI Partition.
In other words, it's not necessary to run Clover Installer on the USB disk.

Motherboard
Gigabyte TRX40 Aorus Xtreme
CPU
Ryzen 3970X
Graphics
RX 580
Mac
  1. MacBook
  2. MacBook Pro
Classic Mac
  1. Xserve
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
We can simplify this procedure as follows:
  • Format USB flash disk as Scheme = GUID Partition Map.
  • Mount EFI Partitions of USB disk and macOS SSD.
  • Copy entire EFI Folder from macOS EFI Partition to USB EFI Partition.
In other words, it's not necessary to run Clover Installer on the USB disk.

Even easier than I suggested then. I'll bear this in mind in the future when I next update.
I took it that the installer also installed hidden system files etc, like Windows, macOS, Linux etc do, and they were necessary for a working Clover system.
You learn something every day if that isn't the case. :)

Motherboard
Lenovo U410 i7
CPU
i7-3537U
Graphics
HD 4000
Hey @CaseySJ, i just wanted your opinion on using AMD's Navi 10 GPU's with this setup? Do you think a RX 5700 XT would be compatible? I've seen that there is now some support from Apple (in Catalina) for these GPU's.

Motherboard
ASUS TUF Z390 Plus Gaming
CPU
i9-9900K
Graphics
UHD 630
Mac
  1. iMac
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
The boot log does show 1600x1200:
Code:
0:440  0:000  SetMaxResolution: found best mode 0: 1600x1200
0:478  0:037  Video mode change to mode #0: Success
Is this too high? Are you trying to switch to a lower resolution?

I think I got it why I am getting lower resolution on clover. My motherboard HDMI output supports 4K@30Hz. I think need 60Hz for the correct resolution.

Here is the question; is it possible to get 60Hz on boot also after booting with HDMI? I think people using an adapter for that. Is there an adapter that you can recommend?

CaseySJ

Motherboard
Gigabyte Z490 Vision D
CPU
i5-10400
Graphics
RX 580
Mac
  1. MacBook Air
  2. MacBook Pro
  3. Mac Pro
Classic Mac
  1. Quadra
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
Hey @CaseySJ, i just wanted your opinion on using AMD's Navi 10 GPU's with this setup? Do you think a RX 5700 XT would be compatible? I've seen that there is now some support from Apple (in Catalina) for these GPU's.
Do you see the PowerColor RX 5700 XT in my signature? :)

With WhateverGreen 1.3.6 we seem to be having fairly good success with the Navi/RDNA GPUs. The Catalina Mini-Guide is compatible with RX 5700-series.

CaseySJ

Motherboard
Gigabyte Z490 Vision D
CPU
i5-10400
Graphics
RX 580
Mac
  1. MacBook Air
  2. MacBook Pro
  3. Mac Pro
Classic Mac
  1. Quadra
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
I think I got it why I am getting lower resolution on clover. My motherboard HDMI output supports 4K@30Hz. I think need 60Hz for the correct resolution.

Here is the question; is it possible to get 60Hz on boot also after booting with HDMI? I think people using an adapter for that. Is there an adapter that you can recommend?
The refresh rate (30Hz versus 60Hz) does not matter (well, it should not matter)! 4K at 30Hz has the same resolution as 4K at 60Hz. The HDMI port on Designare Z390 only goes up to HDMI 1.4, which means it's limited to 4K 30Hz.

In an earlier post you mentioned that you are only temporarily using the IGPU. If that is true -- and if you expect to use an AMD discrete GPU soon -- then it's probably not necessary to worry about Clover resolution with IGPU.

Motherboard
GIGABYTE Z390 Designare
CPU
i7-8700K
Graphics
RX Vega 64
Mac
  1. MacBook Pro
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS

I have a bootable clone on SSD. It's backed up and updated I assure you. (having learned the hard way some time ago..)

Motherboard
Gigabyte Z68-UD3H
CPU
i7
Graphics
HD 6850
It looks like you and are are pretty close to the same place in our OC experiment.
You need to have Emulated nvram set up with the LogoutHook command.

I am pretty sure I have LogoutHook running, and it seems to be writing to nvram.plist. however, the variables are not being read back on in reboot. Im not sure why that is.
I read through the OpenCore document. It sounds like we need to remove the RC scripts before the NVRAM will work. I'm tempted to try tonight but its been a crazy day at work. I may see how I feel after dinner.

From the Doc Online.

Last edited: January 13, 2020

So this section is for those who don't have native NVRAM, the most common hardware to have incompatible native NVRAM with macOS are the non-Z370 300 series chipsets:

• B360
  • B365
  • H310
  • H370
  • Q370
  • Z390
  • Some X99 and X299 (verify if you have working NVRAM below)

Cleaning out the Clover gunk

So some may not have noticed but Clover may have installed RC scripts into macOS for proper NVRAM emulation. This is an issue as it conflicts with OpenCore's method of emulation.

Files to delete:
  • /Volumes/EFI/EFI/CLOVER/drivers64UEFI/EmuVariableUefi-64.efi
  • /Volumes/EFI/nvram.plist
  • /etc/rc.clover.lib
  • /etc/rc.boot.d/10.save_and_rotate_boot_log.local
  • /etc/rc.boot.d/20.mount_ESP.local
  • /etc/rc.boot.d/70.disable_sleep_proxy_client.local.disabled
  • /etc/rc.shutdown.d/80.save_nvram_plist.local
If folders are empty then delete them as well:
  • /etc/rc.boot.d
  • /etc/rc.shutdown.d

Last edited: