Mac
  1. MacBook Air
  2. MacBook Pro
  3. Mac Pro
Classic Mac
  1. Quadra
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
I moved Lilu, AppleALC, Whatevergreen & VirtualSMC kexts out of L/E back to EFI/CLOVER/kexts/other. I am wondering
if my problem stems from some leftover old kexts in L/E? Here's a screenshot. I'm thinking I can ditch the old "USBInjectAll.kext" at least..
All of those files should remain in /L/E (and we should run Kext Utility to rebuild the kernel cache). Namely:
  • VirtualSMC
  • Lilu
  • WhateverGreen
  • AppleALC
  • USBInjectAll

Motherboard
Lenovo U410 i7
CPU
i7-3537U
Graphics
HD 4000
Hi @CaseySJ,

First of all, thank you for your incredibly detailed guide and continued support of this thread mate, you're awesome. I just wanted to ask, has there been any movement in finding a compatible WiFi/BT card for the onboard port in the past year at all?

Cheers

Last edited:

CaseySJ

Motherboard
Gigabyte Z490 Vision D
CPU
i5-10400
Graphics
RX 580
Mac
  1. MacBook Air
  2. MacBook Pro
  3. Mac Pro
Classic Mac
  1. Quadra
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
Hi @CaseySJ,

First of all, thank you your for incredibly detailed guide and continued support of this thread mate, you're awesome. I just wanted to ask, has there been any movement in finding a compatible WiFi/BT card for the onboard port in the past year at all?

Cheers
Hello @Jamz0161

I'm afraid you won't like the answer! Here goes:
  • The CNVi socket is not a typical general-purpose M.2 slot.
  • Instead, it seems to be a very specialized socket whose job is to connect an Intel CNVi module to the Z390 chipset.
  • No other module will be accepted there.
This does not bother me at all because:
  • Windows happily uses the Intel CNVi module to provide WiFi 5 and Bluetooth 5 support.
  • Windows does not recognize the Fenvi FV-T919 (do not install any Broadcom drivers in Windows).
  • So when I boot into Windows, the Intel CNVi is fully operational.
  • And when I boot into macOS, the Fenvi is fully operational.
  • Hence, neither card is wasted.
If Apple ever develops a macOS driver for the Intel CNVi module, then we'll save ourselves a PCIe slot.

Motherboard
GIGABYTE Z390 Designare
CPU
i7-8700K
Graphics
RX Vega 64
Mac
  1. MacBook Pro
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
So if I do follow " Step 1, Bullet #4 in the Catalina Mini-Guide to update Clover." it says to match this screen from the installer which is what is installing "AptioMemoryFix.efi" to my new clover install. I'm thinking now I shouldn't follow Bullet #4 so precisely?

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2020-01-15 at 3.29.06 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2020-01-15 at 3.29.06 PM.png
    321.4 KB · Views: 31
Motherboard
Lenovo U410 i7
CPU
i7-3537U
Graphics
HD 4000
Hello @Jamz0161

I'm afraid you won't like the answer! Here goes:
  • The CNVi socket is not a typical general-purpose M.2 slot.
  • Instead, it seems to be a very specialized socket whose job is to connect an Intel CNVi module to the Z390 chipset.
  • No other module will be accepted there.
This does not bother me at all because:
  • Windows happily uses the Intel CNVi module to provide WiFi 5 and Bluetooth 5 support.
  • Windows does not recognize the Fenvi FV-T919 (do not install any Broadcom drivers in Windows).
  • So when I boot into Windows, the Intel CNVi is fully operational.
  • And when I boot into macOS, the Fenvi is fully operational.
  • Hence, neither card is wasted.
If Apple ever develops a macOS driver for the Intel CNVi module, then we'll save ourselves a PCIe slot.

Yes, thats unfortunate as i'm planning to use the PCIe slots for UAD satellites and of course a GPU. I will no doubt have plan which PCIe cards go where on the board before i bite the bullet and purchase the build.

Motherboard
GIGABYTE Z390 Designare
CPU
i7-8700K
Graphics
RX Vega 64
Mac
  1. MacBook Pro
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
So if I do follow " Step 1, Bullet #4 in the Catalina Mini-Guide to update Clover." it says to match this screen from the installer which is what is installing "AptioMemoryFix.efi" to my new clover install. I'm thinking now I shouldn't follow Bullet #4 so precisely?
Would I be better off with this section of Step 3, Bullet #9 in the Catalina Mini-Guide to update Clover for the update?

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2020-01-15 at 3.36.35 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2020-01-15 at 3.36.35 PM.png
    350.7 KB · Views: 40
Motherboard
GIGABYTE Z390 Designare
CPU
i7-8700K
Graphics
RX Vega 64
Mac
  1. MacBook Pro
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
All of those files should remain in /L/E (and we should run Kext Utility to rebuild the kernel cache). Namely:
  • VirtualSMC
  • Lilu
  • WhateverGreen
  • AppleALC
  • USBInjectAll

All these kexts are copied to EFI/CLOVER/KEXTS/OTHER as per the "Catalina Fresh Install.zip" . I'm sure you're not suggesting I put them in both locations.

Sorry I know this is confusing (especially for me..).

CaseySJ

Motherboard
Gigabyte Z490 Vision D
CPU
i5-10400
Graphics
RX 580
Mac
  1. MacBook Air
  2. MacBook Pro
  3. Mac Pro
Classic Mac
  1. Quadra
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
No need to repeat that procedure. I think the only change needed now is to remove AptioMemoryFix.efi and reboot.

CaseySJ

Motherboard
Gigabyte Z490 Vision D
CPU
i5-10400
Graphics
RX 580
Mac
  1. MacBook Air
  2. MacBook Pro
  3. Mac Pro
Classic Mac
  1. Quadra
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
All these kexts are copied to EFI/CLOVER/KEXTS/OTHER as per the "Catalina Fresh Install.zip" . I'm sure you're not suggesting I put them in both locations.

Sorry I know this is confusing (especially for me..).
Are you running Mojave or Catalina?
  • Mojave guide installs kexts in both places.
  • Catalina guide (temporarily) installs kexts only in CLOVER/kexts/Other.
Feel free to post a screenshot of the CLOVER folder with these subfolders expanded:
  • CLOVER/kexts/Other
  • CLOVER/drivers/UEFI