i7-9700k
Graphics
Intel UHD 630
Welcome to the forum! Please click here and enter your:
  • CPU
  • Motherboard
  • Graphics
Sone questions and suggestions:
  • If there’s no discrete AMD GPU in the system, have you set Platform ID to 0x3E9B0007 per the sample config.plist located here?
  • What is the make/model of your monitor? Is it a TV?
  • At which point does the kernel panic occur? When selecting:
    • Boot macOS Install from Install macOS Catalina
    • Boot macOS from Catalina - Data
    • Boot macOS from Catalina
  • If you’ve recorded a video, you may scrub that video frame by frame until the moment before the kernel panic is thrown. Then screen-capture one or two of those frames.

Hi mate. Thanks for the response! It's actually my second hackintosh build, but the first one was in 2008. So you can tell how out of it I am :)

I tried a few things including the platform ID you mentioned as well as the HDMI help linked on the first post but couldn't get it to work. I didn't think it was the graphics though as I wouldn't expect a kernel panic for that, but what do I know :)

The kernel panic is/was just before the graphics turned on (the installation screen). It's connected via HDMI to a TV (LG).

Sorry to have taken your time though, as I came across another forum (in German) and used the EFI folder and config file from there and everything works perfectly fine now. Managed to install and move clover to the main drive. Sleep works (just tried it twice so far :D), USB is fine, graphics are fine (except a brief purple bar shortly before each boot into desktop), icloud/messages etc. all fine. I haven't tried Thunderbolt yet but will do it soon I hope :)

Am I allowed to cross-post here, in case anyone else has the same issue?

CaseySJ

Motherboard
Gigabyte Z490 Vision D
CPU
i5-10400
Graphics
RX 580
Mac
  1. MacBook Air
  2. MacBook Pro
  3. Mac Pro
Classic Mac
  1. Quadra
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
Anyone trouble with Adobe Photoshop and Lightroom and managed to fix it? (CC2019& the last version)
When i install them the pc stucks on boot when I reboot.(gray clover apple logo) doesnt get to the black apple logo.
Tried twice , need everytime to recover it back.

fresh Catalina install
Same hardware configuration as topic
home folder splitted from the system folder

Thanx!

• This post is from a user whose Home and System folders are split, but Photoshop works fine.
  • This post is from a user whose Home and System folders are split and has a problem with Adobe apps.
  • This post is a reply to the above user indicating that split folders are okay, but some permission-related issues need to be resolved.
    • He then followed @Thaigyver’s guide that is referenced in Post 1 (Home and OS Folders on Separate Drives).
    • You may also click here for that guide.

CaseySJ

Motherboard
Gigabyte Z490 Vision D
CPU
i5-10400
Graphics
RX 580
Mac
  1. MacBook Air
  2. MacBook Pro
  3. Mac Pro
Classic Mac
  1. Quadra
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
Am I allowed to cross-post here, in case anyone else has the same issue?
You may post a link to the article that helped resolve the kernel panic issue, but the article must be in English!

Motherboard
Gigabyte Z390 Designare
CPU
i9-9900KS
Graphics
Radeon VII
Mac
  1. iMac
  2. MacBook Pro
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
Anyone trouble with Adobe Photoshop and Lightroom and managed to fix it? (CC2019& the last version).
When I install them, the PC stalls on boot. When I reboot, (gray Clover Apple logo) doesn't get to the black Apple logo.
Tried twice , need every time to recover it back.

Fresh Catalina install. Same hardware configuration as topic. Home folder split from the system folder.

Thanx!
Working OK on my system

Motherboard
Gigabyte Z390 Designare
CPU
i9-9900K
Graphics
Vega 56
Mac
  1. MacBook Pro
Mobile Phone
  1. Android
So I noticed an interesting problem that I have with my setup, and I wanted to see if others also shared this problem.

If I change the input source on my monitor, or disconnect the DisplayPort cable from my Sapphire Pulse Vega 56, I cannot get my display back unless I reboot the computer (I can ssh in and reboot, so it's still running). Is this a known issue, or something that requires further investigation?

CaseySJ

Motherboard
Gigabyte Z490 Vision D
CPU
i5-10400
Graphics
RX 580
Mac
  1. MacBook Air
  2. MacBook Pro
  3. Mac Pro
Classic Mac
  1. Quadra
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
So I noticed an interesting problem that I have with my setup, and I wanted to see if others also shared this problem.

If I change the input source on my monitor, or disconnect the DisplayPort cable from my Sapphire Pulse Vega 56, I cannot get my display back unless I reboot the computer (I can ssh in and reboot, so it's still running). Is this a known issue, or something that requires further investigation?
I’ll test this on my system next week. Meanwhile:
  • Is this on Catalina 10.15.1?
  • Does your config.plist contain agdpmod=pikera in Boot Arguments?

Motherboard
z390 Designaire
CPU
i9-9900K
Graphics
AMD Radeon VII
Mac
  1. iMac
  2. MacBook Pro
  3. Mac mini
  4. Mac Pro
Classic Mac
  1. 128K
  2. 512K
  3. Classic
  4. Lisa
  5. Plus
  6. Portable
  7. Power Mac
  8. PowerBook
  9. Quadra
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
Another successful build following this guide - Z390 Designaire - 9900K- Evolv X - Radeon VII - Fenvi t919 - EVO 970 - Mojave. Thank you @CaseySJ for your time and dedication to helping others. Likewise @pastrychef for your advice on Radeon VII. This is my umpteenth macOS build, and it may be the easiest one yet thanks to your clearly written guide and support files.

One minor cosmetic issue I've noticed is that the labeling for the internal speakers and the headphone jack is inverted. Plugging into the green audio port on the back shows "Headphones" while plugging in to the front audio port on the case connected to the HDA header shows "internal speakers". Is this in your SSDT or an enumeration error in AppleALC? I'd like to fix it but if you can point me in the right direction that would give me a head start.

Any 9900k users here that can share their OC numbers? I'm running everything stock while I bring up the box but I'm getting ready to stretch it out. Happy Thanksgiving all!

Motherboard
Gigabyte Z390 Designare
CPU
i9-9900K
Graphics
Vega 56
Mac
  1. MacBook Pro
Mobile Phone
  1. Android
I’ll test this on my system next week. Meanwhile:
  • Is this on Catalina 10.15.1?
  • Does your config.plist contain agdpmod=pikera in Boot Arguments?

1. Yes 10.15.1 with Clover 5098
2. It does not contain that, should it? I haven't changed these from my original Mojave install. Monitor is a Dell U3818DW.

Screen Shot 2019-11-28 at 2.09.39 PM.png

Screen Shot 2019-11-28 at 2.08.59 PM.png

Last edited:

CaseySJ

Motherboard
Gigabyte Z490 Vision D
CPU
i5-10400
Graphics
RX 580
Mac
  1. MacBook Air
  2. MacBook Pro
  3. Mac Pro
Classic Mac
  1. Quadra
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
Another successful build following this guide - z390 Designaire - 9900k- Evolv X - Radeon Vii - Fenvi t919 - Evo 970 -Mojave. Thank you @CaseySJ for your time and dedication to helping others. Likewise @pastrychef for your advice on Radeon VII. This is my umpteenth osx86 build an it may be the easiest one yet thanks to your clearly written guide and support files.
Glad to hear it!
One minor cosmetic issue I've noticed is that the labeling for the internal speakers and the headphone jack is inverted. Plugging into the green audio port on the back shows "Headphones" while plugging in to the front audio port on the case connected to the HDA header shows "internal speakers". Is this in your SSDT or an enumeration error in AppleALC? I'd like to fix it but if you can point me in the right direction that would give me a head start.
If I’m not mistaken (cannot verify since I’m out of town):
  • If you actually plug in a pair of headphones to the rear green jack, the label becomes Headphones.
  • If you unplug the headphones, the label changes to Internal Speakers.
  • If you plug it into self-powered speakers or a pre-amp, I’m not sure what label we’ll see (haven’t tried it yet).
So the name changes dynamically. The names are controlled by AppleALC, whose source code is on Github.

Last edited:
Motherboard
Gigabyte Z390 Designare
CPU
i9-9900K
Graphics
Vega 56
Mac
  1. MacBook Pro
Mobile Phone
  1. Android
Glad to hear it!

If I’m not mistaken (cannot verify since I’m out of town for Thanksgiving):
  • If you actually plug in a pair of headphones to the rear green jack, the label becomes Headphones.
  • If you unplug the headphones, the label changes to Internal Speakers.
  • If you plug it into self-powered speakers or a pre-amp, I’m not sure what label we’ll see (haven’t tried it yet).
So the name changes dynamically.

I have self-powered speakers plugged into the rear green port, Creative Pebble Plus 2.1... They are listed as Headphones.

Screen Shot 2019-11-28 at 2.23.15 PM.png