i7-9700K
Graphics
RX 5700 XT
Mac
  1. MacBook Pro
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
Hey everyone! :wave:

First let me start by saying thank you CaseySJ for the dope guide I’ll be following it here soon. Just finished ordering all my parts and will be building my first hackintosh here soon.

Parts Ordered:
- NZXT H710
- i7 9700k
- H100i water cooler
- Z390 Designare
- Vengeance LPX 64GB 2666
- RM 750 PSU
- Gigabyte Radeon RX 5700XT

now my question was on best course of action I was trying to read thru if anyone had done a clean install of 10.15.1 Catalina most of what I saw was updates coming from 10.14. The GPU I ordered is officially supported in 10.15.1 but not prior wanted to know if anyone had success doing a vanilla install directly to newest update of Catalina or if it’s suggested I go to Mojave with iGPU and update to Catalina after and then add in my GPU once successfully updated to OS that supports it. Once in Catalina I do want to make use of my iGPU and discrete gpu

sorry if it’s a silly question just don’t want to try and start just to be hit with roadblocks that could have been avoided.

thanks again!

Motherboard
Gigabyte Z390 Designare
CPU
i9-9900K
Graphics
Radeon VII
Mac
  1. MacBook Pro
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
*** SideCar SideDiscussion ***

• On my system, SideCar fails with SMBIOS Mac mini 8,1. The late 2018 Mac mini has a T2 chip.
    • I'll change the SMBIOS to iMac19,1 and try again.
  • I also have an Asus X99 system without iGPU set up as iMacPro 1,1. The real iMacPro 1,1 has a T2 chip.

Meanwhile, for everyone that has upgraded to Catalina and has a compatible iPad:
  • Does SideCar work? If so, what SMBIOS?
  • Does SideCar fail? Is so, what SMBIOS?

Survey Results:

User URL SMBIOS Has T2? Motherboard Result
@ummario link iMac 18,3 No AORUS Xtreme Success
@NicoDiePlume link iMac 19,1 No Designare Z390 Success
@NicoDiePlume link iMac 18,3 No Designare Z390 Success
@mcnb link iMac 19,1 No Designare Z390 Success
@SuperBug18 link iMac 19,1 No Designare Z390 Success
@khaoskosmos link iMac 19,1 No Designare Z390 Success
@CaseySJ link iMac 19,1 No Designare Z390 Success
@CaseySJ link Mac mini 8,1 Yes Designare Z390 Failure
@CaseySJ link iMacPro 1,1 Yes ASRock Taichi Failure
@Gompy link iMacPro 1,1 Yes Designare Z390 Failure
@svandive link iMacPro 1,1 Yes Designare Z390 Failure

Edit 1: There's a clear pattern here!
Edit 2: Conclusion: Switching to a non-T2 SMBIOS allows SideCar to work.

Thx bro!

CaseySJ

Motherboard
Gigabyte Z490 Vision D
CPU
i5-10400
Graphics
RX 580
Mac
  1. MacBook Air
  2. MacBook Pro
  3. Mac Pro
Classic Mac
  1. Quadra
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
thanks so much!!! and thank you for all the help your guide has already given, wouldn't have gotten this far with out it.
Now that the basic setup is done, feel free to describe any problems you're facing.

CaseySJ

Motherboard
Gigabyte Z490 Vision D
CPU
i5-10400
Graphics
RX 580
Mac
  1. MacBook Air
  2. MacBook Pro
  3. Mac Pro
Classic Mac
  1. Quadra
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
so I did the above mentioned. now its unknown but when I open the AppleSystemInfo.strings in the en.lproj with BBEditor i7-9700K is displayed
I see -- it's probably best to copy the original AppleSystemInfo.strings back.

CaseySJ

Motherboard
Gigabyte Z490 Vision D
CPU
i5-10400
Graphics
RX 580
Mac
  1. MacBook Air
  2. MacBook Pro
  3. Mac Pro
Classic Mac
  1. Quadra
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
Is the Thunderbolt hot-plug SSDT already in the post installation downloads ? I ordered the Gigabyte's GC-Titan Ridge.
It needs to be modified as follows:
  • The PCI device path needs to be moved from RP05 to probably RP21.
  • Two USB 2.0 ports needs to be added to RHUB.
  • The ADR values of the 4 USB ports (two USB 3 and two USB 2) need to be reassigned from 0x01 to 0x04.
The attached ZIP contains the modified files needed if Thunderbolt is on RP21. This can be checked by running IORegistryExplorer and looking for "Thunderbolt".

Attachments

• TB3HP on RP21.zip
    3.2 KB · Views: 46

CaseySJ

Motherboard
Gigabyte Z490 Vision D
CPU
i5-10400
Graphics
RX 580
Mac
  1. MacBook Air
  2. MacBook Pro
  3. Mac Pro
Classic Mac
  1. Quadra
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
** Experimental Mini-Guide for Direct Installation of Catalina 10.15.1 **
UPDATE 08-Dec-2019:
Catalina Fresh Install.zip has been updated to fix a problem affecting RX 5700-series GPUs.
If you've been encountering installation problems, redo the installation with the updated ZIP file.
(Please do not quote this guide in its entirety. Post a link instead.)

This Guide...
  • Uses OcQuirks-4 and FwRuntimeServices instead of OsxAptioFix2Drv-free2000.
  • Uses VirtualSMC from the beginning.
  • Applies all custom SSDTs from the beginning. No USB Port Limit patches are needed.
    • Hides Intel CNVi WiFi/BT card from macOS.
    • Enables Thunderbolt hot plug.
    • Configures USB ports and enables high-current delivery.
  • Sets shikigva and shiki-id to allow DRM content playback in TV, Music, and Podcast apps.
  • Uses Clover 5xxx (v5098 or newer).
  • Uses the modified SmallTreeIntel82576 kext that directly supports Intel i211 Ethernet. No need for FakePCIIID.kext and FakePCIID_Intel_GbX.kext.
  • Sets boot parameter agdpmod=pikera to prevent black screen problem with some RX 5700 series GPUs.
  • Assumes there's a Broadcom 94360-based WiFi/BT card (such as Fenvi FV-T919) in the bottom short PCIe x1 slot. If you don't have such a WiFi/BT card, you should still be able to use this guide.
  • Uses Clover kext injection instead of installing kexts in /Library/Extensions. This is subject to change.
Preparation:
  • If you have an AMD RX 5700 or RX 5700 XT (or only have iGPU):
    • You must use the on-board iGPU to install Catalina.
    • You must fully remove the RX 5700 or RX 5700 XT and set it aside. We will install it later.
    • You must use an HDMI cable from the rear IO panel to your HDMI monitor (do not use a TV).
    • In BIOS, iGPU must be enabled.
    • In BIOS, Initial Display Output can be either (a) IGFX or (b) PCIe 1 Slot.
  • If you have an AMD RX 560, RX 570, RX 580, RX 590, Vega 56, Vega 64, Radeon VIII, other AMD GPU:
    • The card can and should be installed.
    • Connect your monitor (not TV) to the AMD GPU.
  • Set BIOS parameters according to main guide in Post #1.
  • Please use Clover Configurator 5.8.0.0 or newer when making changes to config.plist later in this guide.
Step 1: Create USB Install Disk
  • Use a 16 to 32 GB flash drive.
  • Format the USB drive in Disk Utility. Select View --> Show All Devices and click the parent name of your USB drive on left sidebar. Failure to do so will be catastrophic. Then select Erase and enter:
    • Name: Catalina-USB (use exactly this name)
    • Format: MacOS Extended (Journaled) --- do not use APFS here
    • Scheme: GUID Partition Map
  • Download Catalina installer from App Store on a supported Mac. Check that it's in the Applications folder.
    • Also check that the USB disk has been mounted and its name is Catalina-USB
    • Open a Terminal window and type:
      sudo "/Applications/Install macOS Catalina.app/Contents/Resources/createinstallmedia" --volume /Volumes/Catalina-USB
    • Enter your Mac password when requested.
    • This step will cause your USB install disk to be renamed to Install macOS Catalina.
    • If you encounter any errors, stop and report those errors.
  • Download Clover v5098 or newer from GitHub by clicking here and downloading the xxxx.pkg file.
    • Launch the Clover installer and allow the app to run (System Preferences --> Security & Privacy --> General).
    • Click Continue, Continue, Change Install Location... and select the USB flash disk!
    • Then click Customize -- don't overlook this.
    • These 2 buttons are located here:
      Screen Shot 2019-11-17 at 4.32.34 AM.png
    • Check that the Customize page looks exactly like this:
      Screen Shot 2019-11-17 at 4.33.04 AM.png
    • Notice that Install RC scripts on target volume is unchecked. Because we are installing Clover to the USB flash disk, we must not install RC scripts. We'll do this in Post-Installation in Step 3.
    • Click the Install button.
  • Copy Clover Configurator to the standard partition of the USB flash disk (not the EFI partition).
  • The EFI partition of the USB install disk will already be mounted (Clover installer will do this automatically).
    • Open the EFI Folder on the EFI partition of USB disk. You'll see a CLOVER folder, of course.
    • Open the CLOVER folder.
    • Download the attached Catalina Fresh Install.zip into your Downloads folder on the Mac (not on the USB disk).
      • Open the CLOVER/drivers/UEFI folder on the USB disk (EFI partition) and:
        • Delete all files in that folder and empty the trash.
        • Locate the folder Copy-to-drivers-UEFI in the above ZIP file you downloaded.
        • Copy all .efi files from this folder into CLOVER/drivers/UEFI
      • Open the CLOVER/kexts/Other folder on the USB disk (EFI partition) and:
        • Delete all files in that folder and empty the trash.
        • Locate the folder Copy-to-kexts-Other in the above ZIP file you downloaded.
        • Copy all .kext files from this folder into CLOVER/kexts/Other
      • Open the CLOVER/ACPI/patched folder on the USB disk (EFI partition) and:
        • Locate the Copy-to-ACPI-patched folder in the above ZIP file you downloaded.
        • Copy all .aml files from this folder into CLOVER/ACPI/patched
      • There are two plist files in this ZIP:
        • config-Internal-GPU.plist
        • config-AMD-GPU.plist
        • If you have an AMD RX 5700 or RX 5700 XT (or only have iGPU):
          • Copy the file config-Internal-GPU.plist to the CLOVER folder on the USB disk (EFI partition) and rename it to simply config.plist.
        • If you have an AMD RX 560, RX 570, RX 580, RX 590, Vega 56, Vega 64, Radeon VIII, other AMD GPU:
          • Copy the file config-AMD-GPU.plist to the CLOVER folder on the USB disk (EFI partition) and rename it to simply config.plist.
        • Now run Clover Configurator and open your config.plist from the CLOVER folder on USB disk.
        • We will make changes to the SMBIOS and RtVariables sections as shown in the two screenshots below.
          • First, click the pop-up button in SMBIOS and select iMac19,1 in order to generate serial numbers. This is shown below:
            Screen Shot 2019-12-08 at 10.17.48 AM.png
          • Next, click RtVariables and follow the two steps shown. Step 1 requires you to press Generate to create a ROM ID. Step 2 requires you to copy the Board Serial Number from SMBIOS and paste it into MLB.
            Screen Shot 2019-12-08 at 10.18.06 AM.png
        • Everything else is already set in this file. So save it and quit Clover Configurator.
  • Eject the USB flash disk.
Step 2: Install Catalina (note the difference between BIOS Boot Menu and Clover Boot Menu)
  • Insert the USB install disk into the Hackintosh and boot.
  • Press F12 at BIOS Splash screen to bring up the BIOS Boot Menu and select the USB flash disk.
  • When Clover Boot Menu appears, select Boot macOS Install from Install macOS Catalina
  • Follow the onscreen progress and report any issues.
  • LOOK OUT: If the Catalina installer fails to start (i.e. it gets stuck somewhere during boot), only then try the following modification to the config.plist in the CLOVER folder of the USB install disk:
    • In the Devices section, enter 12345678 into IntelGFX. Don't type "0x12345678" -- just type "12345678".
      Screen Shot 2019-12-10 at 8.31.56 AM.png
    • In the Graphics section, check on InjectIntel as shown:
      Screen Shot 2019-12-10 at 8.32.23 AM.png
    • Save the file and quit.
    • These 2 modifications will disable iGPU acceleration and may cause some graphics artifacts to appear on screen.
    • When Catalina is fully installed, you may undo both of these changes (see Step 3: Post Installation).
  • When the installer starts, you'll need to run Disk Utility from inside the installer, select your target Catalina NVMe SSD, and format it.
    • Be sure to select View --> Show All Devices and click on the parent name of the Catalina SSD. Failure to do so will be catastrophic.
    • Then select:
      • Name: Catalina (you can change it later)
      • Format: APFS
      • Schema: GUID Partition Map
    • Then begin the macOS installer.
  • NOTE 1:
    • Whenever the macOS installer starts, you'll see a lot of log messages on screen because verbose mode is enabled in config.plist.
    • When the last log message appears on screen there might be a 2-3 minute wait before the screen switches to graphics mode. Just be patient. If the delay is more than 7 minutes, let us know.
  • There might be one or two reboots.
    • Each time the system reboots, press F12 at BIOS splash screen to open the BIOS Boot Menu.
    • Select the USB install disk from the BIOS Boot Menu.
  • Now you'll be back at the Clover Boot Menu:
    • Whenever you see a boot option called Boot macOS Install from Catalina, choose that option.
    • Do not select the USB disk.
  • NOTE 2:
    • MacOS installation will resume and you'll see X Minutes Remaining.
    • It may take up to 10 minutes for the number "X" to begin to count down.
    • So if you see, for example, "28 Minutes Remaining", it may stay like that for 10 minutes before the number 28 counts down.
    • If it takes more than 15-30 minutes to begin the countdown, let us know.
  • If everything goes according to plan, you'll be greeted with the Catalina Welcome screen.
    • Follow the onscreen guide.
    • AMD RX 5700 and RX 5700 XT owners: Do NOT sign in to iCloud. Select Skip when asked.
      • Remember this. Write it down. Stick a Post-It on your monitor. Find any reasonable means to remember this. Skip iCloud.
    • All others may sign in to iCloud when asked.
  • If you encounter any problems, stop and let us know.
Step 3: Post Installation
  • We'll make this really simple for now.
  • Run Clover Configurator which was copied to the USB flash disk in Step 1.
    • Click Mount EFI on left sidebar of Clover Configurator
    • Mount EFI partitions of (a) USB flash disk and (b) Catalina SSD.
    • Copy the entire EFI Folder from EFI partition of USB disk to EFI partition of Catalina SSD.
    • If you like, you can open config.plist from the Catalina EFI partition and remove the -v Boot Arguments flag. This will stop the detailed log messages at startup and shutdown.
  • Eject USB flash disk.
  • Open System Preferences --> Energy Saver and uncheck Wake for network access in order to prevent severely degraded WiFi performance after waking from sleep. This is shown below.
    Screen Shot 2019-12-10 at 3.53.05 AM.png
  • Reboot directly from Catalina SSD.
  • Does it work? Report any issues.
  • If everything is working, make a full bootable backup. See Post #1, Easy Bootable Backup for instructions.
  • LOOK OUT: If you set IntelGFX to 12345678 and checked-on InjectIntel back in STEP 2, you may undo these changes now, as follows:
    • Open config.plist from the CLOVER folder of the Catalina SSD with Clover Configurator.
    • In the Devices section, delete "12345678" from IntelGFX. Just leave the field empty.
    • In the Graphics section, uncheck InjectIntel.
    • Save the file, quit, and reboot to make sure the system starts up.
    • If something goes wrong, use the Bootable Backup disk to boot up the system.
  • Now that we have made a full bootable backup we'll install Clover RC Scripts to allow Emulated NVRAM to work properly. This requires running the Clover installer, so make a backup before proceeding.
  • Installing Clover RC Scripts:
    • Download or copy the Clover Installer Package (filename Clover_v2.5k_r5098.pkg or newer) to your Catalina SSD. You may copy it to your Downloads folder.
    • Double-click to launch the Clover package installer. Because it is from an "unknown developer", macOS will display a warning. Open System Preferences --> Security & Privacy --> General and click Allow from the bottom right.
    • Then click Continue, Continue.
    • At Destination Select, select your Catalina SSD. In my case, the disk is named simply Catalina as shown:
      Screen Shot 2019-12-10 at 4.11.09 AM.png
    • Then click Continue. On the next screen, click Customize:
      Screen Shot 2019-12-10 at 4.14.22 AM.png
    • Make the selections shown, namely:
      • Check ON: Clover for UEFI booting only
      • Check ON: Install Clover in the ESP
      • Check OFF: Drivers off
      • Check OFF: UEFI Drivers
      • Check ON: Install RC scripts on target volume
      • Check OFF: Install RC scripts on other volumes
      • Check OFF: Optional RC Scripts
      • Check OFF: Themes
      • Check ON: Install Clover Preferences Pane (optional)
    • Double-check the settings.
      Screen Shot 2019-12-10 at 3.45.26 AM.png
    • Now click Install at the bottom right of the installer window.
    • Reboot and make sure the system can start up fully.
Step 4: Only for AMD RX 5700 and RX 5700 XT owners
  • After Step 3, please use the system for a little while to make sure everything is running fine.
  • Make a bootable backup. See Post #1, Easy Bootable Backup for instructions.
  • While your system is still running from the iGPU (don't turn it off yet and don't install the RX 5700 yet) we need to make some preparations.
  • Mount EFI partition of the Catalina SSD. (Not the USB install disk.)
  • Grab the file config-AMD-GPU.plist from the ZIP file attached here.
  • Run Clover Configurator and open config-AMD-GPU.plist. We're going to make the same two changes to it:
    • First, click the pop-up button in SMBIOS and select iMac19,1 in order to generate serial numbers. This is shown below:
      Screen Shot 2019-12-08 at 10.17.48 AM.png
    • Next, click RtVariables and follow the two steps shown. Step 1 requires you to press Generate to create a ROM ID. Step 2 requires you to copy the Board Serial Number from SMBIOS and paste it into MLB.
      Screen Shot 2019-12-08 at 10.18.06 AM.png
    • Everything else is already set in this file. So save it and quit Clover Configurator.
  • In the CLOVER folder of your internal Catalina SSD (EFI partition), rename the existing config.plist to something like config-IGPU.plist.
    • This saves it in case you need to remove the RX 5700-series GPU and go back to iGPU.
  • Now copy the modified config-AMD-GPU.plist to the CLOVER folder of the Catalina SSD and rename it to simply config.plist.
  • Stop and double-check all your steps.
Step 5: Only for AMD RX 5700 and RX 5700 XT owners
  • Now shutdown the system.
  • Flip power switch on back of PSU to OFF position or remove power cable from the wall.
    • You MUST do this. This forces the motherboard to scan for new devices later on.
  • Carefully install the AMD RX 5700 or RX 5700 XT.
    • Remember to connect PCI power cables.
  • Connect your monitor to the RX 5700 or 5700 XT.
    • We will no longer use the on-board HDMI port.
  • Flip power switch on PSU back to ON.
  • Power on the system.
  • Let the system boot up. Does it work? Can you login to Catalina?

EDITS:
  • 9-Dec-2019: Fixed errors in Step 4.
  • 10-Dec-2019: Updated Post-Installation steps, Step 3.

Attachments

• Catalina Fresh Install.zip
    1.5 MB · Views: 486
Last edited:
F

FormerUser-594785

I can confirm that OcQuirks-Test-4 run very well.
Another bit on the dust.
CaseySJ you rock!

Attachments

• Screenshot 2019-11-17 at 14.30.09.png
    Screenshot 2019-11-17 at 14.30.09.png
    2.1 MB · Views: 261
Motherboard
Z390 Auros Elite
CPU
i9-9900K
Graphics
RX 5700 XT
Glad to hear it! Currently sipping coffee at a local café, but I believe I set headless platform ID 0x3e980003 already.

The next steps are to test USB ports with both USB 2 and 3 devices, test sleep and wake. Then make a full bootable backup. There’s a Catalina guide for this that is linked from Post #1 in the section “Easy Bootable Backup”.

Then you’re ready to begin using the system. Watch for any reliability issues. Also look through “Going the Extra Mile” for any extended setup that might be beneficial to you.

P.S. Do not skip the bootable backup process. You will thank yourself a million times in the future!
@CaseySJ I've ordered new SATA SSD for my backup disc. Again big thanks to your help. I tested sleep/wake and USB ports. Everything seems to be working smoothly. I installed HWMonitor, and its only showing me CPU stats. Do you know what am I missing to have it show all the stats? Also is it possible to get items list in my PCI tab?

Also, I would like to add that I also am a fresh 10.15.1 install success with 5700XT. All I did was follow the guide of yours and trough trial and error we got it running together. For install I used iGPU because otherwise I would get black screen after the load was fully complete.

Motherboard
Z390 DESIGNARE
CPU
Graphics
Vega64
Mac
  1. MacBook Pro
Mobile Phone
  1. Android
I can confirm that Audient iD14 works great with both 10.14.5 and 10.14.6. I'm scared to upgrade to Catalina...

CaseySJ

Motherboard
Gigabyte Z490 Vision D
CPU
i5-10400
Graphics
RX 580
Mac
  1. MacBook Air
  2. MacBook Pro
  3. Mac Pro
Classic Mac
  1. Quadra
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
@CaseySJ
I've ordered new SATA SSD for my backup disc. Again big thanks to your help. I tested sleep/wake and USB ports. Everything seems to be working smoothly. I installed HWMonitor, and its only showing me CPU stats. Do you know what am I missing to have it show all the stats? Also is it possible to get items list in my PCI tab?

Also, I would like to add that I also am a fresh 10.15.1 install success with 5700XT. All I did was follow the guide of yours and trough trial and error we got it running together. For install I used iGPU because otherwise I would get black screen after the load was fully complete.
There are several versions of HWMonitor. The one that comes with FakeSMC will not work with VirtualSMC. With VirtualSMC and HWMonitorSMC 2.5.x we can monitor CPU speed, CPU temp, one core voltage, and motherboard fans. To switch from FakeSMC to VirtualSMC, please see the guide here:
To have more PCI entries show up, please see Post #1, Specifying Device Names and Types.