IOGear Bluetooth 4.0 Adapter - Amazon || Newegg

Apple Wireless Keyboard - Amazon || Newegg

Apple Magic Mouse - Amazon || Newegg

Already Owned

Asus VE248Q 24" LCD - Amazon || Newegg
DisplayPort, HDMI, and VGA

Comments

Overview:

I am building this for a friend of mine. Will be used primarily for graphic design.

This is my second Hackintosh build. My first one was about a month ago: CodeMachine

To my surprise, my first build went MUCH smoother. It's a surprise because CodeMachine is not using components recommended in the Buyer's Guide.

The Installation of Mountain Lion

I created a UniBeast thumbdrive: UniBeast: Install OS X Mountain Lion on Any Supported Intel-based PC

I did this install with my monitor plugged into the on-board HDMI port, and only the SSD was plugged in.

Step 1 - Bios:

I didn't need to do anything since I was already at version F11 by default.

Step 2 - Installing Mountain Lion:

I installed Mountain Lion also using this guide: UniBeast: Install OS X Mountain Lion on Any Supported Intel-based PC
I want to note that I installed it directly to my SSD because I've seen people say they installed on a HDD and clone it to the SSD.
I did not need to use any boot flags to boot into UniBeast. The install went very smooth.

After the install, still using the UniBeast thumb drive, I tried to boot into Mac OS X but got a few (4 maybe) errors about USB not having enough power (can't remember what it said). I had to boot into Safe Mode (-x) and then ran MultiBeast. After that I was able to boot normally.

Step 3 - MultiBeast:

Below are two screenshots of my exact MultiBeast 5.3.0 settings that I used after the installation.

MultiBeast 5.3.0 Fresh Install Configuration for Mountain Lion 10.8.3 with GTX 660 Ti

MultiBeast_1.jpg
MultiBeast_2.jpg

After MultiBeast finished installing I rebooted normally, without the UniBeast thumbdrive.

Summary and Notes

Fully Working
  • OSX Mountain Lion 10.8.3
  • GTX 660 Ti Graphics
  • Audio
  • USB 2.0 & USB 3.0 Ports (Have not tested speeds yet)
  • iMessage

Not Working
  • Sleep
  • Tries to read from Optical Drive every 60 seconds or so

Untested
  • DVD Playback & Burning
  • Firewire

Issue 1 - Computer Sleep:

I am NOT talking about "Display Sleep", that works just fine.

Things I have tried:
  • If I leave darkwake=0 (default) then it will not sleep.
  • If there is not a darkwake paramater in the .plist then it will sleep but the display will not turn back on. If I remove my BlueTooth dongle, and plug it back in, then it will go into sleep mode and come right back on with display.
  • At some point I tried darkwake=10 and that worked but took 20+ seconds for the display to come back on. I have not been able to get that one to work again after I had made some changes.

You can view my BIOS settings in my Gerty album: http://www.tonymacx86.com/members/draven/albums/gerty/
I have even tried arehep settings but those also did not work.

EDIT: The reason it does not sleep is because of "Issue 2 - Optical Drive" (below). So I have removed the drive until I receive a new one next week.

Now the problem is when I wake it with a click of the magic mouse, bluetooth no longer works. All USB ports seem to be working good though.

Issue 2 - Optical Drive:

Tries to read from optical drive every 60 seconds or so.

Issue 3 - No BlueTooth in BIOS & Chameleon:

Neither the wireless keyboard or mouse work in BIOS or the Chameleon boot screen.

Issue 4 - Errors after Chameleon Bootscreen:

Unable to handle key current-network
Unable to handle key preferred-networks
Unable to handle key MLB
Unable to handle key ROM
Unable to handle key SystemAudioVolume
Unable to handle key LocationServicesEnabled
Unable to handle key EFIBluetoothDelay
Unable to handle key bluetoothActiveControllerInfo

UPDATES TO THIS BUILD DESCRIPTION
May 02, 2013 -
Fixed graphics card (660 Ti not 650 Ti)
Added more details to the "Installing Mountain Lion" section
Added details to "Issue 1: Computer Sleep"
Added "Issue 3: No BlueTooth in BIOS & Chameleon
Added MultiBeast images​
May 03, 2013 -
Added Bluetooth adapter & wireless card to Components
Added "Issue 4: Errors after Chameleon Bootscreen"​
May 06, 2013 -
Added link to my Gerty photo album to view BIOS settings in "Issue 1: Computer Sleep"​

Nice build. :thumbup: Looks familiar. :lol: Have fun with it. Don't forget to add the graphics card.

The Corsair 600T is a great case, but it's not a desktop - it's big enough to be an end table. I have mine next to an easy chair which is next to my desk. When the system is not on, I use the case as a chair table.

Thanks man. I've been following your Thunderball build for awhile.

Post isn't finished yet. I just wanted to get something up so maybe people would chime in and help me fix the issues I am having (Sleep & Optical Drive).

Sleep is working for me as you've probably saw. Did you set your BIOS up according to thelostswede's article? (See my Thunderball build description.) Two other items which can affect sleep/wake-up proper operation:
  • BT USB dongle make & model number (I didn't see a BT device listed in your components); and
  • Optical Drive which is where I think your problem lies.
Try disconnecting your optical drive and test sleep/wake-up after making sure you BIOS is updated.

A word about optical drives. Apple predominately has used Sony or Pioneer optical drives in Mac Pros and another obscure optical drives in laptops and iMacs. Thus, you have to be careful on the brand of optical drive you use because some brands cause installation (for Snow Leopard) and sleep/wake-up, etc. problems. Sony or LG optical drives are the tonymacx86 recommended makes/models in the tonymacx86's Buyers Guide. :thumbup: I have both. The LG is quieter. But, I haven't found the need to put an optical drive in Thunderball, yet. :lol:

Hey Stork,

Thanks for replying and I apologize for leaving out my adapter. I have a IOGear Bluetooth 4.0 Adapter.

I did use thelostswede's article. I tried arehep's BIOS settings as well.

I bet you are exactly right about it being my optical drive and I am embarrassed that I didn't think of that. Although if I change my darkwake, it will sleep, I just have issues with it waking up. Either the bluetooth won't work, or display takes too long to turn back on, or display won't turn on at all.

After this post I will unplug it and see if that works. I'll post an update letting you know what I find.

Either way
I am going to purchase a tonymacx86 recommended drive today.

The IOGear 4.0 BT USB dongle is TMX approved. :lol: MacMan has one. It doesn't work with Mountain as Lion and Snow Leopard, but that's not a problem for most people.

Let me know if you can get into the BIOS with your wireless. I can't and use my handy-dandy Logitech K750 Solar keyboard with the Logitech Unifying receiver.

It is the optical drive that's making it not sleep.

But now there's this problem:
When I wake it, using a click on the magic mouse, the magic mouse and wireless keyboard (bluetooth) stop working. All the USB ports work just fine when it wakes.

Hmmm. My Apple Wireless keyboard, Might mouse and TrackPad wake up almost instantly because I use the keyboard to wake up the system. I have the BT connected in a USB 2 port on the Rear Panel.

Okay, I will try that. I had to use one of my front panel USB ports for the bluetooth dongle because I was getting alot of mouse lag. I had read it was from interference with the wireless card which I assume was right since it's been fine since I moved it to the front.

Anyway, I'll move it to the back to test if the keyboard and mouse work and post an update soon.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back