Contribute
Register

[Success] General tweaking guide for Asus P8P67 Pro Rev3.0

Status
Not open for further replies.
it68000 said:
Hello mcbyte_it,

I have the same motherboard, I've patched the BIOS successfully with Andy instructions and everything seems OK, I have correctly sleep-wakeup and audio (without NullCPUPowerManagement.kext ) etc...

However speedstep is not working and I'm stuck at a single frequency (3.1Ghz for my i5 2400).
Can be that the BIOS patching is just for Lion? I'm still with Snow Leopard.
Or the problem is that the i5 2400 require some peculiar tweaking?

Most likely your overclock if you have the custom bios but is also most likely due to the fact, the i5 2400 is not an unlocked cpu, meaning you wont get much overclock performance.

;)

Hello KidCastro,

I can overclock, but at a single fixed frequency
Just to try, I set 3.2Ghz with success (from standard 3.1Ghz, I can try other frequency) ,

But i have just one frequency.
I would like to get at least the 1.6Ghz + 3.xGhz to save some power and heat.

I read that to get speedstep and Turbo you have to provide an ssdt for the peculiar cpu,

Can it be?

I read your post in the build section, don't you have C & P States enabled?

it68000 said:
Hello KidCastro,

I can overclock, but at a single fixed frequency
Just to try, I set 3.2Ghz with success (from standard 3.1Ghz, I can try other frequency) ,

But i have just one frequency.
I would like to get at least the 1.6Ghz + 3.xGhz to save some power and heat.

I read that to get speedstep and Turbo you have to provide an ssdt for the peculiar cpu,

Can it be?

I read your post in the build section, don't you have C & P States enabled?

Nope, no one has C & P States enabled using Asus P8P67 Pro Rev3.0.

I can tell you that with the custom bios, speedstep and sleep are working 100% with my build. My CPU is overclocked from 3.4Ghz to 4.6-4.8Ghz using SPEEDSTEP.

Im not sure about the SSDT??? but everything is working here as noted in my build. Obviously im not using a DSDT either because there are none available for our motherboard.

If you wanted better overclock capability, you should of bought a K series CPU such as 2500k, 2600k or 2700k.

Otherwise, please post your scores here, I think you will see very minimal improvements when comparing scores.

Hello,

Probably there were some incompatibilities in my Snow Leopard install.

With a fresh Lion installation and removing the nullcpupowermanagement.kext I got speedstep working.

Now my i5 2400 clocks down at 1.6Ghz in idle and up to 3.6Ghz in load. :D

nearly 9000 geekbench score!

Thanks to all in this community

it68000 said:
Hello,

Probably there were some incompatibilities in my Snow Leopard install.

With a fresh Lion installation and removing the nullcpupowermanagement.kext I got speedstep working.

Now my i5 2400 clocks down at 1.6Ghz in idle and up to 3.6Ghz in load. :D

nearly 9000 geekbench score!

Thanks to all in this community

Ahhhhh sorry man, should of been clearer, you have to delete nullcpupowermanagement.kext and perform repair of permissions and cache.

:thumbup: awesome!

Does anyone know if performing this BIOS mod will mess with or prevent a Windows boot from working? I'm dual booting between Win 7 and Lion.

doesnt affect windows at all

Okay,

I've made my custom BIOS. I'm about to flash my motherboard, but I have a few questions before I move forward.

I have Lion working with nullCPU kext. I've read that I will need to remove this to get Speedstep working properly. Do I just delete the .kext file? Do I do this before I shut down and flash the BIOS, or do this after?

yeh youll need to remove it for speedstep (and sleep).

doesnt make a difference when you delete it.
itll have to be deleted to notice the effects of the new bios, but up to you when you wanna delete it

My BIOS hack was a success.

My only issue now is that I'm only getting two P-states : 16 44

Feb 17 19:17:39 new-host-2 kernel[0]: MSRDumper PStatesReached: 16 44
Feb 17 19:17:40 new-host-2 kernel[0]: MSRDumper CoreMulti(16)

Could it be because my smbios is set for MacPro 3,1 ? Should I be set for 5,1? How does one determine the best System Definition to chose anyway?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back