Contribute
Register

[Success] Geminii's HexaBeast | i7-3970X | ASUS Rampage IV Extreme | GTX 760

Status
Not open for further replies.
Also, some tips for mild OCing in osx.
Set vcore to 1.26 and vccsa to whatever your ram needs or 1.1 set vtt to 1.1.

Connect OC key. Boot into OS X and activate OC key. Run prime95 torture test for at leaset 15 min and make sure your CPU core package doesn't exceed 78c and your CPU temp (TCase) doesn't excede 66c. If either does, Use a ps2 keyboard to control the OC key and drop your vcore till your max cpu package is less than 77 or 78 and your CPU temp (TCase) is less than67c. The CPU temp from the OC key and in the bios monitor represent tcase which is usually 10-15c lower than core temps. At 1.26 my max core package temp is 70-74c. Next use the OC key to raise the multiplier till you crash or freeze.

Reset to get back to the bios and set the multiplier to 1 less than the number you lost stability at and set your vcore to the number you lowered it to, if you needed to. save and reboot. Run torture test and unigine heaven at the same time for 20 min. If you crash or freeze or if torture test shows errors, drop your multiplier 1 more. If you don't lose stability, stop and quit unigine and prim95. Restart prime95 torture test. Now start another CPU intensive app like rendering a after effects project to f4v and verify that prime95 doesn't get any errors on any of the workers (you should have 12 which you can condense into 1 window if you like). Remember to keep an eye on core and tcase temps. At this point if you're error free and haven't crashed, you're pretty stable. If you're using BIOS controlled limited speed step, you'll want to switch vcore to offset mode and play with the - values till your vcore maxes (under full load) as close as possible to the vcore you set earlier. Note: you cannot change the offset from the OC key so you'll need to go into the bios every time you want to change it. Now you'll want to run torture test (prime95) for 12 hours and make sure you are error and crash free.

all of this can be done without the OC key but you'll have to go into the bios to make every change.

At the time that I priced out things, the EVGA 760 seemed to be less expensive but equally capable. Also has SLI and Crossfire, so hopefully we will be able to take advantage of that in December and I will be able to double up. It was definitely a step up from my HD6870.

I'm to the point where I need to replace my MacPro 4,1 8 core, and I WILL be building a hackintosh, mainly for the purposes of on-set DIT file and color work with RAW and uncompressed video files via DaVinci Resolve. I'm curious as I've been through the thread, if you DID in fact "double up" and add another GPU, if that's what you meant - I assume it was.

I'm going to start a new thread about my proposed build....
http://www.tonymacx86.com/buying-ad...station-planning-please-chime.html#post740163

Hey gemini, I have the same Board and CPU as you but the processor just isn''t doing work. Vidseo editing is impossible and every bench I throw at it gives me a low number. Any advice?

Not Working
  • USB3 ports on front of case = Technically both of these ports work at full speed, but they only work individually. If I disconnect a drive from port 1, I can not connect reconnect that drive on port 2 and vice versa.

@geminii
Is everything still stable and functioning without issues?

I would like a similar build, only with the i7 4930K and GTX 770 4GB.
Do you know if this will work the same?

Because I don't want issues like: m00fin

Hey gemini, I have the same Board and CPU as you but the processor just isn''t doing work. Vidseo editing is impossible and every bench I throw at it gives me a low number. Any advice?

@ m00fin
Did you fix it already, is it difficult? I need it for pro video editing as well, but remarks like yours, worry me.

Hi all,

Very new to the Hackintosh world so please forgive any stupid questions I may ask.
Recently I purchased a PS4 and that has turned my pc gaming rig in to a paper weight (I just stopped using it) so I thought it would be nice to use the hardware for a hack pro workstation instead (I do a bit of photography and videography in my spare time).

I have very similar hardware to the build Geminii has completed with the exception of using an Asus R9 280X GPU. I believe I have followed the tutorials as best as I could but simply can not get to the Mavericks installer. Apple logo appears, screen flashes white and tells me to use a dual-link DVI cable? Any ideas what could be causing this? Monitor is an Asus PB278Q 2560x1440 27" display, 3970X CPU, RIVE Mobo, Corsair RAM, Corsair PSU and Corsair Chassis.

Cheers,
Alain

Hey guys. Sorry for the delay. I have been super busy with projects and a new film that I am working on.

My system has been stable and flawless. I actually rarely turn my computer off. I haven't updated to 10.9.2 yet though. I am waiting a bit til I am in a good stopping point so I can back everything up.

Anyone upgrade to 10.9.2 on the Asus RIVE yet? Any issues?

Thanks.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back