- Jan 19, 2010
- ASUS Rampage IV Extreme
- Core i7-3970X
- EVGA GeForce GTX 760 4Gb
- Mobile Phone
Geminii’s HexaBeast: i7-3970X 3.5Ghz | ASUS Rampage IV Extreme | GTX 760 4Gb
Intel Core I7-3970X Extreme 3.5Ghz
ASUS Rampage IV Extreme LGA 2011
Thermaltake Water 2.0 AiO Liquid Cooling
Thermaltake Toughpower Grand DPS 750W
EVGA GeForce GTX 760 4Gb
Samsung 840 Pro 512Gb SSD
Thermaltake Level 10 GT
Corsair Vengeance 16Gb DDR3 Ram Kit
3 x Seagate Barracuda 3TB 7200 RPM SATA 6.0Gb/s Internal Hard Drive
LG Blu-Ray Burner Rewriter
HP 2711 LED Monitor
Apple Wired Keyboard
Logitech Performance MX Wireless Mouse
In anticipation of the new Mac Pro for 2013 and the announced Final Cut Pro X update, I decided it was time to build the best video editing work station I could afford. I am primarily a video editor but I also do a lot of 3D artwork and After Effects work so I wanted to meet the specs of the upper tier Mac Pro being offered as closely as possible. I chose the 3970X 6 Core and the ASUS RIVE based on the price and recommendations from others in the community. * Attempted to overclock to 4.5Ghz. So far everything seems good.
A primary reason I chose the RIVE, was the amount of USB3 Ports, support for up to 4 GPUs, quad channel ram up to 64Gb and the dual eSata connections on the back. I have several eSata external drives so I wanted to ensure I could hook up at least 2 of them on the back and several motherboards seem to be phasing them out in favor of more USB 3 ports.
I chose the GeForce GTX 760 4Gb because it seems to be widely supported and compatible OotB. It also does have Crossfire/SLI, so I am hoping that when the Mac Pro is released a future update will provide full dual GPU compatibility.
- Updated BIOS to 4206
- Load Optimized Defaults
- Unibeast Installer with options: -v npci=0x2000 GraphicsEnabler=No
- Install Mavericks
MultiBeast Configuration for Mavericks
Post Installation Solutions
- Bootup = Added <string>npci=0x2000</string> to org.chameleon.Boot.plist
- iCloud, AppStore, iMessage = Run Chameleon Wizard to fix Smbios and add FileNVRAM.dylib
- Fix CPU Reporting as “Unknown” = Add <key>SMcputype</key><string>1281</string> tp smbios.plist
- Fix for USB3 = Follow Shilohh’s guide for MacIASL DSDThttp://www.tonymacx86.com/dsdt/114418-asus-rampage-iv-extreme-guide-create-your-dsdt-5-min-using-maciasl.html
- USB3 ports on front of case = Technically both of these ports work at full speed, but they only work individually. If I disconnect a drive from port 1, I can not connect reconnect that drive on port 2 and vice versa.
Special thanks to Shilohh for his awesome guide and wonderful support. Thanks to stefanhuberfilms for his assistance with fixing the CPU reporting issue. And last but not least, big thanks to trs96 for his hardware recommendations!
*** Recent Updates as of 11/17/2013
- Overclocked to 4.5Ghz stable using info at http://rog.asus.com/forum/showthread.php?31510-Help-3970x-Overclocking-to-4.5-Ghz/page3
- Added 16Gb of RAM
- Setup and tested Dual Monitors Successfully
- Modified System Profiler - Changed Icon and About Name
- Now using "LogintoLion" Bootloader Theme with Mavericks icons
Last edited by a moderator: