Contribute
Register

[SUCCESS] Gabedamien's first build: Maximus V Gene - 3770K - 16GB RAM - GTX 670 - FT03 - OS X 10.8

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just curious, how many pstates do you get since the 10.8.3 update? I can only get 2 now no mater the smbios or setting I use.

Ran MSRDumper and got comparable (identical?) results to before:

4/1/13 9:44:20.000 PM kernel[0]: MSRDumper PStatesReached: 16 17 18 19 20 42

Subjectively, I don't actually see the "middle" p-states very often, but they are there. Running Mac Pro 3,1 FWIW.

Sorry I guess I missed where u said Mac Pro 3,1 previously. So your on SB PM not IB PM. I finally got my pstates working again but I use IB PM.

I'm not following your acronyms. What does "PM" stand for? I assume SB/IB is Sandy/Ivy Bridge. I use an IB CPU; am I using the wrong symbios then? Am I missing out on potential performance or something? If so, how should I switch, and how did you fix pstates?

Hm, seems like another can of worms, I'll have to look into it in greater detail when I have the time. If I understand correctly the only advantage is the ability to run lower p-states (and power manage HD4000, which I don't use), right? Or does it give slightly better performance clock-for-clock as well (don't know why it would, just trying to establish possible motivations to attempt this).

IB PM uses less power and has lower states meaning it can go as low as 800MHz, therefore you should see lower CPU temps as well. IB PM is much better optimized for your CPU since you don't actually have a SB processor and are using SB PM.

PJALM does speak in tongues and lives in Acronym City. :lol: However, he's right in what he says, but, if you're not comfortable with using a System Definition other than the default, don't worry as I, too, use the default MacPro3,1 for most of my my systems.

From what I gather, you'll need a MacMini6 series for getting AirPlay working correctly with an Apple TV (2nd and 3rd generations) and an Ivy Bridge processor/motherboard. MacMin6,1 for the i5 processor and MacMini6,2 for the i7 processor.

However, MultiBeast does not yet have a MacMini6,2 option. So, again, not for the newbie, you'll need to use Chameleon Wizard (in the Downloads > Community Software) to add it to your Simbios file in the /Extra folder.

Now, if the above is kinda scary or seems like I'm speaking in tongues, just go with the defaults and read stuff here on this Forum. I started out that way, and, slowly I've learned what works for me. I'm not as knowledgeable as PJALM, toleda, samisnake, SJ_UnderWater, et al. I've learned when to ask question as you will after a while. :thumbup:

Hey Stork,

Nah, you and PJALM are both making sufficient sense for this amateur, I do appreciate the advice. As I said, some point in the future I'll look into trying different smbios and power management profiles, no reason not to take advantage of all my computer's specs, right? It just isn't convenient for me to monkey with the system at the moment, it's too mission-critical for me to risk doing anything adventurous for a while.

—G

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back