Contribute
Register

[SUCCESS] Gabedamien's first build: Maximus V Gene - 3770K - 16GB RAM - GTX 670 - FT03 - OS X 10.8

Status
Not open for further replies.
GabeDamien, thanks so much for that super helpful reply! Makes sense what you said about separate drives. One last question (for now :) ): Does the choice of SSD matter at all, or will just about any SATA drive work fine. Any specific one you'd recommend in particular? I have an Intel 520 240GB right now...any reason to not just get another one of those?

GabeDamien, thanks so much for that super helpful reply! Makes sense what you said about separate drives. One last question (for now :) ): Does the choice of SSD matter at all, or will just about any SATA drive work fine. Any specific one you'd recommend in particular? I have an Intel 520 240GB right now...any reason to not just get another one of those?

I think, where OS X is concerned, for the most part a drive is a drive is a drive.

The only issue I've ever heard is possible issues with TRIM compatibility with certain models. But I'm not sure that that really applies anymore with modern SSDs. It shouldn't be an issue for the Intel, to my knowledge.

I am quite satisfied with my SanDisk Extreme 240 Gb/s which comes at a very decent price (way better than the Intel 520) and is very comparable in performance to the Intel 520 for all the benchmarks I've seen. They are both considered reliable too. Honestly given the current price difference I'm not sure why anyone would buy the Intel over the SanDisk. But either should work totally fine, so it's up to you.

Hey gabe ive found another problem i guess you can help me solve :p
when i load into the chimera bootloader and try to boot from to my windows OS it says BOOT MSR is missing :crazy:

Hey gabe ive found another problem i guess you can help me solve :p
when i load into the chimera bootloader and try to boot from to my windows OS it says BOOT MSR is missing :crazy:

This is getting way outside my (very limited) knowledge base, so I'd recommend you ask elsewhere on the site. Be that as it may, here are my thoughts:

You need to write out an explicit explanation of your setup - which OS did you install first? How? On what drive(s) are the OSs installed? How are those drives formatted? People won't be able to begin to aid you until they understand what exactly is going on.

MSR is a reserved block by Microsoft for use on GPT disks. I can imagine an error like this being caused by any one of a number of issues: maybe you partitioned one GPT disk for both OS X and Windows (bad, like I said in a previous post)? Maybe you messed up the disk formatting somehow? Maybe Chimera simply isn't reading things right? Maybe you installed Windows onto a disk formatted by OS X (won't work)? Etc. The best practice is to have Windows on a MBR NTFS drive and OSX on a GPT HFS+ drive; that's two separate drives.

Please bear in mind that the above ideas are only random inklings, and it is extremely likely that your problem has nothing at all to do with those possibilities. Again, this is really stretching what I know about dual booting, which is not very much to begin with, so I strongly recommend you look elsewhere for help. Not that I'm unwilling, just unable! ;)

Someone somewhere once asked me to check if dual monitors worked. Unfortunately I cannot find that discussion any more. But FWIW, yes, I now have two monitors set up, both connected to my ASUS GTX 670 - one via DVI, the other HDMI. The HD4000 connection didn't seem to work but I didn't spend any time on it, either (I forget if I disabled it in BIOS too...).

This is getting way outside my (very limited) knowledge base, so I'd recommend you ask elsewhere on the site. Be that as it may, here are my thoughts:

You need to write out an explicit explanation of your setup - which OS did you install first? How? On what drive(s) are the OSs installed? How are those drives formatted? People won't be able to begin to aid you until they understand what exactly is going on.

MSR is a reserved block by Microsoft for use on GPT disks. I can imagine an error like this being caused by any one of a number of issues: maybe you partitioned one GPT disk for both OS X and Windows (bad, like I said in a previous post)? Maybe you messed up the disk formatting somehow? Maybe Chimera simply isn't reading things right? Maybe you installed Windows onto a disk formatted by OS X (won't work)? Etc. The best practice is to have Windows on a MBR NTFS drive and OSX on a GPT HFS+ drive; that's two separate drives.

Please bear in mind that the above ideas are only random inklings, and it is extremely likely that your problem has nothing at all to do with those possibilities. Again, this is really stretching what I know about dual booting, which is not very much to begin with, so I strongly recommend you look elsewhere for help. Not that I'm unwilling, just unable! ;)

haha, iam not gonna spend so much time for such a little thing, i just made my primary boot drive as windows as i always have had and then i can just press F8 and choose my mountain lion HDD :)

Anostra,
You were suppose to only install MtLion with the installation target drive as the only drive connected (with the exception of the optical drive). Then, once the installation was completed and you set up MtLion, then connect the other drives. Chimera would recognized the other OS's which would boot normally, in this case Windoze as it's Boot MSR would have been preserved.

GABE you are the man! Mimicked your BIOS settings EXACTLY and it now sleeps! I think it was the turbo mode setting that was making the overclock fail and not waking. Thanks again so much for all of your efforts in helping me with my build. I can now say that I am almost 100% operational except for the fron USB3.0 ports. THANKS AGAIN!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back