Contribute
Register

[SUCCESS] GA-Z97X-UD5H / i7 4790K / 32GB / GTX 760 / 10.9.4

Status
Not open for further replies.
[SUCCESS]GA-Z97X-UD5H / i7 4790K / 32GB / GTX 760 / 10.9.4

First time builder here. I have the same exact setup, minus a different brand of RAM.

I installed mine using Clover with zero issues. Wifi is working, I havent tried bluetooth yet.

Only issues so far is, I cant use HDMI cable, Screen goes blank after I launch OSX Mavericks. I think it has something to do with the 760 and audio? Can anyone help me with this?

System is also shutting down when I run a geekbench, But I am assuming I screwed up the heatsink and the CPU is overheating. I will re do this this weekend.

First time builder here. I have the same exact setup, minus a different brand of RAM.

I installed mine using Clover with zero issues. Wifi is working, I havent tried bluetooth yet.

Only issues so far is, I cant use HDMI cable, Screen goes blank after I launch OSX Mavericks. I think it has something to do with the 760 and audio? Can anyone help me with this?

System is also shutting down when I run a geekbench, But I am assuming I screwed up the heatsink and the CPU is overheating. I will re do this this weekend.

I am not convinced we have the same setup, as I actually have no wireless or bluetooth. You have a motherboard with onboard wifi and BT? To my knowledge the Z97X-UD5H has neither. Unless I simply missed it and it is not listed on the site. I was planning on adding BT via one of the dongles in the build guide.

Can you be a bit more precise with where it goes blank? With my setup for example when booting with "themed" Chameleon I have a few graphical transitions: POST -> Chameleon -> Gray Apple boot screen -> OSX in full GUI. Which of those do you actually see occur? Any? How are you getting to a point where you can run GeekBench? Unplug/replug HDMI and you are able to see your desktop?

In cases where I would get the Apple boot screen and then the monitor would go to sleep is was generally because of missing / incorrect npci values at boot or having GraphicsEnabler set to something other than the correct value.

I am only using DVI (now a dual-link DVI-D connection to a 30" monitor and a single-link DVI-D connection to a 24") so I cannot speak to the HDMI output from the 760. It is however reported elsewhere as working.

Sorry I couldn't be more help.

Thank You for this great guide! :thumbup:
After 4 days of struggling I finally made my system working too :)

As for audio - I got Rear Green Output working by installing voodooHDA v2.8.4 from MultiBeast instead of RealtekALCxxx.

I am not convinced we have the same setup, as I actually have no wireless or bluetooth. You have a motherboard with onboard wifi and BT? To my knowledge the Z97X-UD5H has neither. Unless I simply missed it and it is not listed on the site. I was planning on adding BT via one of the dongles in the build guide.

Can you be a bit more precise with where it goes blank? With my setup for example when booting with "themed" Chameleon I have a few graphical transitions: POST -> Chameleon -> Gray Apple boot screen -> OSX in full GUI. Which of those do you actually see occur? Any? How are you getting to a point where you can run GeekBench? Unplug/replug HDMI and you are able to see your desktop?

In cases where I would get the Apple boot screen and then the monitor would go to sleep is was generally because of missing / incorrect npci values at boot or having GraphicsEnabler set to something other than the correct value.

I am only using DVI (now a dual-link DVI-D connection to a 30" monitor and a single-link DVI-D connection to a 24") so I cannot speak to the HDMI output from the 760. It is however reported elsewhere as working.

Sorry I couldn't be more help.

Thanks for the reply.

We do have the same setup, sorry I wasn't more clear. I bought the recommended wireless card and bluetooth adapter and both are working.

As for the HDMI, I can use it if I use DVI to HDMI cable. But when I do HDMI> HDMI, I see the BIOS and it gets the the boot loader, but once I select my Mavericks, grey apple boot screen, then the monitor goes to sleep and says there is no connection. I tried unplugging, replugging the HDMI and that didn't work. I have a feeling it has something to do with HDMI Audio. I asked Toleda in his/hers HDMI Audio thread but I didn't get any help. Any more guidance would be appreciated.

Nice work Palagius. I have the black version of the board, and the same CPU.

I went through the install process with both 10.9.1 source and 10.9.3

Found that I had almost different results everytime. I need to revisit it, but I definitely had less issues when I installed from the USB2 ports in the back. I could do it all without any switches, and get it working fine - but was intrigued by all the different random results I would get. Sometimes I'd get a panic upon the first boot after install, but the second try would boot right up (that never made any sense to me). Also I couldn't select the 1150 audio fix with the first run of Multibeast - it would always fail if I chose option on the first run of it.

I'm going to try to run through the install again using some of your steps.

Nice work Palagius. I have the black version of the board, and the same CPU.

I went through the install process with both 10.9.1 source and 10.9.3

Found that I had almost different results everytime. I need to revisit it, but I definitely had less issues when I installed from the USB2 ports in the back. I could do it all without any switches, and get it working fine - but was intrigued by all the different random results I would get. Sometimes I'd get a panic upon the first boot after install, but the second try would boot right up (that never made any sense to me). Also I couldn't select the 1150 audio fix with the first run of Multibeast - it would always fail if I chose option on the first run of it.

I'm going to try to run through the install again using some of your steps.

That's a detail I omitted. I installed with the USB stick in a USB 2.0 port on my el-cheapo case via the first USB2 header on the motherboard. USB3 was non-functional during setup (having not added the Generic USB3 driver to the installation medium) and naturally did not work until after the MultiBeast driver installation process.

Once I had the boot options licked I did not experience any consistency issues. Were you using the maxmem option and/or installing with less than complete memory until after MultiBeast?

Thanks for the reply.

We do have the same setup, sorry I wasn't more clear. I bought the recommended wireless card and bluetooth adapter and both are working.

As for the HDMI, I can use it if I use DVI to HDMI cable. But when I do HDMI> HDMI, I see the BIOS and it gets the the boot loader, but once I select my Mavericks, grey apple boot screen, then the monitor goes to sleep and says there is no connection. I tried unplugging, replugging the HDMI and that didn't work. I have a feeling it has something to do with HDMI Audio. I asked Toleda in his/hers HDMI Audio thread but I didn't get any help. Any more guidance would be appreciated.

Unfortunately, I do not have a display around with HDMI input on which I can easily test. :( Hopefully someone else from the forum can chime in here.

That's a detail I omitted. I installed with the USB stick in a USB 2.0 port on my el-cheapo case via the first USB2 header on the motherboard. USB3 was non-functional during setup (having not added the Generic USB3 driver to the installation medium) and naturally did not work until after the MultiBeast driver installation process.

Once I had the boot options licked I did not experience any consistency issues. Were you using the maxmem option and/or installing with less than complete memory until after MultiBeast?

I've been installing from scratch on a spare drive over and over :)

I could always do the initial install on the front USB 3 port OK (without any switches). I had to use -x to get it to boot the first time, which would work sometimes but not everytime. I eventually discovered I could do the back USB2 port for the install and first boot and -X was required.

Anyhow - just acquired the latest 10.9.4 download, used the new 4.01 unibeast to make a new install USB. Also acquired the new Multibeast 6.4. I was able to install from the front USB 3.0 port (it's a usb 3.0 stick too), and then boot to the OS the first time (initially booting off the USB Stick, before Multibeast) without any switches. I have 16gb of ram.

I have the same motherboard as well as the same processor. I am having the same issue you had when it comes to loading Multibeast drivers.

"After a lot of frustration I discovered that GenerateCStates and GeneratePStates being set is what was breaking boot on this particular combination of chipset/CPU."

In regards to the quote above, are these set in Multibeast?

Also, would this work with Integrated graphics? I do not currently have a graphics card, so was going to use the integrated graphics on my motherboard.

I have spent 15-20 hours of research, re-installing, installing multibeast drivers, etc., over and over again.

Any thoughts or suggestions?

I have the same motherboard as well as the same processor. I am having the same issue you had when it comes to loading Multibeast drivers.

"After a lot of frustration I discovered that GenerateCStates and GeneratePStates being set is what was breaking boot on this particular combination of chipset/CPU."

In regards to the quote above, are these set in Multibeast?

Also, would this work with Integrated graphics? I do not currently have a graphics card, so was going to use the integrated graphics on my motherboard.

I have spent 15-20 hours of research, re-installing, installing multibeast drivers, etc., over and over again.

Any thoughts or suggestions?

Yes, you change the state generation in MultiBeast. In the "Customize" view you need to make sure you un-check "Generate CPU States", which is checked by default when you start a DSDT-free configuration.

You can manually edit it for your loader (be it USB or already installed) by editing the Chimera/Chameleon boot plist in /Extra. In org.chameleon.Boot.plist you may see a pair of entries for generating P states and C states. They should both be no, if present.

If your summary screen looks exactly like my screenshot (with no additional entries, either!) you should be good.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back