Graphics
GeForce GT 740 4GB GDDR5
Mac
  1. Mac Pro
Classic Mac
  1. 0
Mobile Phone
  1. 0
Successful build of my new development machine.

I basically followed two threads to get my machine working:

UniBeast Install guide, followed step by step procedure.

squirtbrnr's build post used as a reference to get my initial settings right

Mid range performance machine:
Audio (music) and Video (Graphical User Interface) development for Mac and Windows, occasional gaming.

Operating Systems
  • Dual Boot UEFI
  • Microsoft Windows 10
  • Macintosh El Capitan 10.11

Motherboard
  • GIGABYTE GA-Z97X-GAMING 7 LGA 1150 ATX v1.0
  • BIOS Version F8

Processor
  • Intel Core BX80646I74790K i7-4790K Processor (8M Cache, up to 4.40 GHz)

Processor Cooler
  • Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO - CPU Cooler with 120mm PWM Fan (RR-212E-20PK-R2)

Memory
  • Crucial Ballistix Tactical 32GB Kit (8GBx4) DDR3 1600 PC3-12800) UDIMM Memory BLT4KIT8G3D1608DT1TX0 / BLT4CP8G3D1608DT1TX0

Hard Drives

• 2 Crucial BX200 480GB SATA 2.5 Inch Internal Solid State Drive - CT480BX200SSD1
  • 1 SanDisk Ultra II 960GB SATA III 2.5-Inch 7mm Height Solid State Drive (SSD) with Read Up To 550MB/s- SDSSDHII-960G-G25

Tower
  • Corsair Carbide Series Black 500R Mid Tower Computer Case (CC-9011012-WW)

Power Supply
  • Corsair RM Series, RM750, 750 Watt (750W), Fully Modular Power Supply, 80+ Gold Certified

Peripherals

PCIE Video Card
  • EVGA GeForce GT 740 4GB GDDR5 Dual DVI mHDMI Graphics Cards 04G-P4-3748-KR

PCIE Sound Card
  • RME HDSP 9632 PCI audio interface, 32-Channel 24-Bit/192kHz

CD/DVD/BluRay
  • LG WH16NS40 Super Multi Blue Internal SATA 16x Blu-ray Disc Rewriter

Wireless Adapter
  • TP-LINK TL-WDN4800 Dual Band Wireless N900 PCI Express Adapter,2.4GHz 450Mbps/5Ghz 450Mbps, Include Low-profile Bracket, Support Windows XP/Vista/7/8/8.1/10

Wireless Keyboard
  • Logitech Wireless Combo Mk520 With Keyboard and Mouse

Problems encountered during the build process. The problem was mainly getting the USB stick to boot and install additional files needed to get it to work. I used a separate laptop running Yosemite to build the necessary tools.

USB refers to the USB bootable stick formatted for UniBeast
Issues and Solutions

Issue 1
Created USB fails to boot on target machine.
Solution:
I initially created a bootable UniBeast USB stick under El Capitan (10.11.3). I do not know why the USB would not boot properly. I was able to make a bootable USB under Yosemite (10.10.x).

Issue 2
“Waiting for DSMOS” error (stuck Apple logo during startup)
Solution:
Credits:
http://www.hackintosh.computer/?p=52
No FakeSMC.kext

Download and install on boot usb. Using a terminal, copy FakeSMC.kext on the root of your usb drive and move it to the appropriate location:

cp -Rf /Volumes/USB/FakeSMC.kext /Volumes/USB/System/Library/Extensions
chown -R root:wheel /Volumes/UniBeast\ 1/System/Library/Extensions
chmod -R 755 /Volumes/UniBeast\ 1/System/Library/Extensions

Boot in Safe mode, will go pass DSMOS check.

Issue 3
hfs: set VeryLowDisk: vol:untitled, freeblks:0, dangerlimit:12 (Stuck Apple logo during startup)
Solution:
Pre-format Target disk HFS Plus with GUID Partition Table before running the installation process.

Issue 4
No PS/2 mouse and keyboard operation during installation
Solution:
Moved mouse and keyboard connections to usb ports. Once the OS has been installed, I changed the BIOS settings to support all USB peripherals.

Thanks again to all the people who posted their build, the information helped me get my machine working.

Rey

FYI, for PS/2 keyboard and mouse support, install the kext from here (only the kext, you don't need the daemon): https://github.com/RehabMan/OS-X-Voodoo-PS2-Controller

You would put it in EFI/CLOVER/kexts/... on the EFI partition of your USB install drive to have PS/2 support during the installation process. Then you would need to copy it to your system drive (either the Clover install there or /Library/Extensions/) during the post-install to have PS/2 support once you're no longer booting from the USB drive.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back