Contribute
Register

[Success] GA-Z97M-D3H, Core i7 4790K, EVGA Geforce GTX 970 2.0 SC, Yosemite Install

Status
Not open for further replies.
Motherboard
GA-Z97M-D3h
CPU
Core i7 4790K
Graphics
evga gtx 970 SC
Mac
  1. 0
Classic Mac
  1. 0
Mobile Phone
  1. 0
Full System details:
Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-Z97M-D3H
CPU: Core i7 4790K
RAM: 32GB Ballistix Sport 4x8GB
PowerSupply: Corsair 650M
GPU: EVGA GeForce GTX 970 2.0 SuperClocked
Wireless: TP-LINK TL-WN951N
Disks: Samsung EVO SSD 250GB
2 - 3TB Seagate Barracuda
Cooling: ProlimaTech MegaHalems Heatsink

Props to these folks for making posts to show the way:

http://www.tonymacx86.com/mavericks-desktop-guides/140157-success-ga-z97m-d3h-4790k-r9-280x.html
http://www.tonymacx86.com/mavericks-desktop-guides/140758-success-ga-z97m-d3h-i7-4790k-16gb-ram-intel-hd-graphics-4600-a.html

The only thing I have yet to get working is sound. I noticed that 9 series motherboard audio support is missing from the Yosemite Multibeast which may be why I haven't got it working yet.

PROCESS:

-Download Yosemite from AppStore

-Create Unibeast USB stick (No legacy support, No laptop Support)

-Setup Motherboard
>Update BIOS to F5
>Turn VT-d off
>Turn IGFX on and enabled
>Set X.M.P. Memory Profile to Profile1
>Set USB stick to Boot Priority #1, SSD to priority #2
>Save & exit

At this point, my GTX 970 is not plugged in at all.
Monitor is connected to motherboard through DVI
Also, I only have one stick of RAM installed in the motherboard (IMPORTANT for GPU later)

-Boot in to Yosemite Installer and make clean install to SSD
>Use -v -x boot flags

-After Install, reboot in to Yosemite OS through UniBeast (do this by making sure USB is still Boot Priority #1)
>Use -v -x
>Download and install Yosemite Update (10.10.1 at the time of this post)
>Reboot

-Boot back in to Yosemite using Unibeast
>Open Multibeast
>Used EasyBeast for kext install with following settings:

Quick Start > EasyBeast
Drivers > Audio > Realtek ALCxxx > ALC892
Drivers > Audio > Realtek ALCxxx > Optional 3 Port (5.1) Audio
Drivers > Disk > Intel Generic AHCI SATA
Drivers > Misc > ElliotForceLegacyRTC
Drivers > Misc > EvOreboot
Drivers > Misc > FakeSMC c6.11.1328
Drivers > Misc > NullCPUPowerManagement
Bootloaders > Chimera v4.0.1
Customize > Boot Options > 1080p Display Mode
Customize > Boot Options > Basic Boot Options
Customize > System Definitions > Mac Pro > Mac Pro 3,1
Customize > Themes > tonymacx86 remixed

-Shutdown Computer

At this point, I plugged in my GTX 970 and a 2nd stick of RAM (I think the 2nd stick of RAM was the most important part in getting the Nvidia drivers to install properly. Also, I tried installing EasyBeast with an iMac 14,2 System Definition and could NOT install the Nvidia drivers. Mac Pro 3,1 was the only definition I could use to get Yosemite working and then the Nvidia drivers.

-Boot in to UEFI BIOS
>Disable IGFX
>Change Display output to PCI 1
>Save & exit

-Boot in to Yosemite through Unibeast
>Use -v -x nv_disable=1 GraphicsEnabler=Yes
>Download and install Drivers from Nvidia: http://www.nvidia.com/download/driverResults.aspx/78853/en-us
>Add these kernal flags to Extra/org.chameleon.Boot.plist
<key>Kernel Flags</key>
<string>kext-dev-mode=1 nvda_drv=1 GraphicsEnabler=No</string>
>Reboot in to UEFI BIOS (hold 'Delete' key)

-In BIOS switch #1 Boot Priority to SSD.
>Save & exit

-Boot in to Yosemite though Chimera, shouldn't need any boot flags.

That's it!

The only issues I have is occasional freezes and the sound isn't working depite the ALC892 support install. I had installed Mavericks before this and had sound working with the 9 Series Motherboard support from the Mavericks Multibeast. I'm guessing the 9 Series support missing from the Yosemite Multibeast has something to do with this.

Everything seems to work on my grphics card. Haven't tried multiple displays yet, but I was able to get my Wacom Cintiq Companion Hybrid working through the HDMI hookup with a DVI monitor connected at the same time.

Tips:

Booting in safe mode (-x) takes a lot longer than I expected. As a person who is new to hackintosh, I had a tendency to assume my boot-up had stopped in verbal mode when infact, it was still loading. If you're boot-up gets stuck going in to the installer, just give it some time. I was restarting my computer before it had enough time to actually boot in to the installer. If after 5-10 min you're still not getting there, take a look at where your boot-up stopped in verbal mode (-v) and troubleshoot with the forums.

Check out this link for more info on GTX 970 installs: http://www.tonymacx86.com/buying-advice/141637-gtx-970-gtx-980-here-12.html

I'll try to update once I figure out the audio issue. Hopes this help some of you!

Edit 1: Turns out I lied... Sound is WORKING!

I only have a stereo system, so I haven't been able to test the 5.1 audio, but I discovered that audio is somehow being sent to the wrong ports.

I went in to my sound settings under System Preferences where I manually had to choose to display volume in the menu bar.

I see under the output tab that I have 4 options:

Headphones
Line Out 1
Line Out 2
Digital Out

I started playing some good tunes (R.E.M.) and plugging in to every jack on the back of my motherboard just to test.

Turns out that for some reason Line Out 1 sends the audio signal to the Mic In jack (Red Port, bottom right). Line Out 2 actually sends the signal to the Line In jack (Blue Port, Top Right)

The actual Line Out jack (Green, middle right) on my mother board doesn't seem to receive any signal at all. If I select the Headphones option in System preferences, I DO get sound through the headphones on the front port of the case.

So turns out I have sound, it just kinda goes where it wants. Not sure if this is a hardware or software issue, but it's definitely not a big deal. The only annoying thing is that I have to manually switch between Headphones or one of the Line Outs to get sound on one or the other. Lucky for me that I can plug my headphones directly in to my speakers. I'll probably just leave it on one of the Line Out jacks for now.

Good luck out there!

Edit 2:

Last update for now... I seem to lose sound support after a hard disk sleep. Hopefully I can work out the issue.

Last edited by a moderator:
Please update your original post with the updated information; you can edited your published posts. Then remove the information in posts 2 & 3, just putting "-delete please-" in the posts, and I will remove them. TIA.

Why are you using EasyBeast instead of DSDT Free? According to the MulitBeast Features document, page 3,
EasyBeast is for Core 2, Core i or Xeon systems with no native CPU Power Management.
Since your processor does have CPU Power Management, you should have used the Quick Start > DSDT Free.

Hey Stork,

Thanks for the guidance...

The reason for using EasyBeast was that I wasn't getting the system to boot with DSDT free. I was having the same situation going as this person:

[SUCCESS] GA-Z97M-D3H // 4790k // R9 280x

and thus tried his advice with success. Now, this was when I was working with mavericks before I realized the new GTX 970 with the maxwell architecture wouldn't work with that OS.

So, when I turned to Yosemite, I went with the same setup thinking it would minimize problems and aggravation which it seems to have.

I suppose I could blast the system again and give DSDT free a try, but everything is working now besides the minor audio issues. I haven't had time to work on them. Let me know if you think it would be worth my time to delete the extras folder and re-install.

Thanks!

KL

Hey TomHsiung,

It hasn't been freezing that much lately, so it seems to have worked itself out. I think it was related to the Nvidia drivers. Nvidia recently updated the drivers again and since then I haven't really had a problem. Hope this helps!

KL

...The reason for using EasyBeast was that I wasn't getting the system to boot with DSDT free. I was having the same situation going as this person:

[SUCCESS] GA-Z97M-D3H // 4790k // R9 280x

and thus tried his advice with success. Now, this was when I was working with mavericks before I realized the new GTX 970 with the Maxwell architecture wouldn't work with that OS.

So, when I turned to Yosemite, I went with the same setup thinking it would minimize problems and aggravation which it seems to have.
OK. Placidity blindly followed http://www.tonymacx86.com/mavericks...e-z97-d3h-xeon-e3-1231v3-evga-gtx-770-sc.html which uses a Xeon E3-1231v3 processor and needs to use the EasyBeast combo kexts/drivers.

KonigLudwig said:
...I suppose I could blast the system again and give DSDT free a try, but everything is working now besides the minor audio issues. I haven't had time to work on them. Let me know if you think it would be worth my time to delete the extras folder and re-install.
Well, I don't advocate fixing something that's not broken, but I would be interested to see if you have the same problems with Yosemite 10.10.2, the latest Mavericks for Yosemite using DSDT Free.

A lot of times, first time users of MultiBeast are tempted to install too many options when they only need
Quick Start > DSDT Free
Drivers > Audio > the audio driver for their motherboard
Drivers > Network > diddo​
and that's it to get up and running OS X and have a successful installation. Thus, since you published a guide, you should try a fresh install on a spare drive or partition to see if you can get it working. You'll probably have to do the initial install w/o the GTX 970. Then, use my procedures (http://www.tonymacx86.com/graphics/...am-new-gigabyte-750-ti-2gb-graphics-card.html) to install your GTX 970 and the nVidia web drivers.

I also have a 970 in my recently built hackintosh.

You mention the occasional freeze, how often does your freeze? Mine does about 5 to 10 minutes into use if I push a lot of things at once like video editing or audio. if you ask me, that's kind of unacceptable - I know what I was getting into when I bought the 970 but can I make it any more stable?

Thanks.

Hey Stork,

So i did get around to trying a build with your recommended settings... and while I did eventually get it working with DSDT Free, the system was just not as stable as the EasyBeast setup. I actually redid the EasyBeast build after trying some different DSDT combos and just found that the GTX970 works a lot smoother with the initial settings I had, so I'm gonna stick with that for now. Glad to know rather than wonder though, so it wasn't all a waste.

Thanks!
-KL

Hey Bill,

Yeah, it seems like it freezes sometimes when I overload the videocard, but it's a little more sporadic than what you're reporting. I'm wondering if it's just that it's such a new card and the support is a little behind. That would be my #1 guess.

I was looking on the 970/980 thread and noticed a guy who installed the CUDA drivers from a clean install in order to install the web drivers. I think his problem was a little different than ours, but I can't help but wonder if we might benefit from at least trying the CUDA drivers as well. I'm busy with work lately though so I don't know how soon I'll get to try it.

My only other problem in the meantime is that my displayport hookup isn't working. Or perhaps it's the displayport to HDMI converter I have that's bad. (I have no displayport devices to connect to...) I'm going to try another converter just to confirm the source of the issue. I'll report back when I do.

Good Luck in the meantime and let me know if you solve your issues. I don't know if you updated to 10.10.1 Yosemite yet, but once I did, I got a new update from Nvidia for my card and it seems that I couldn't receive that update without first going to 10.10.1. Maybe give that a shot if you haven't already.

-KL

I just started on this site and completed my first computer build, ever, and I'm stoked. But, Im running intel graphics until I can figure out the GTX970.
From what I gather after searching all over the forums, an installation of the GTX970 can be done, but it sounds like it's not completely stable. Do these types of things get worked out eventually? (considering buying an older card)

Thanks

System:GA Z97X-UD7 TH
CPU:i7 4790k
Graphics:GTX 970Other
Memory: 32gb Corsair Dominator DDR3
Other: RM850 PSU, EVO 250 SSD, Cooler Master EVO, Fractal R4

Edit- I found something that worked. I started from scratch with using these directions from another thread: Here is a link.However, I could only use Multi Beast in Easy Beast Mode, and I only changed the audio driver to Realtec 1150, contrary to what is said in the aforementioned link, where he used DSDT FREE and a bunch of other custom settings. I also could not change my XMP memory settings in the bios to higher than 1300...? Everything seems to be running very well.

Still learning all of this. This site is awesome! Thanks y'all

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back