gtx570
Mac
  1. 0
Classic Mac
  1. 0
Mobile Phone
  1. 0
Hi guys,

I just finished upgrading my fully working Lion install to Mountain Lion 10.8.5.

There were a few causes of head scratching along the way, so I thought I would quickly document what eventually worked for me. Most of the info was found on these boards, but spread over various threads - and sometimes there were seriously conflicting advice to be found. Just to make it clear, I don't claim to have figured all of this out myself :)

A few words on upgrading an existing install
This upgrade was a first time for me, and I wondered/worried about how much of my existing Lion install would carry over to Mountain Lion. I'm happy to report that almost everything is carried over! All files and user profiles are kept and most installed programs just works after the upgrade. I had installed a special sound driver for an external USB sound board (Guitar Rig) - and even that just worked after the upgrade. Very impressive!

My specs:

GA-Z77-DS3H
i5-2550k
GeForce GTX 570

I've disabled my sound chip on the MB since I'm using an external USB sound device. You'll have to figure out the sound stuff yourself!

1. Preparations

• Follow the UniBeast guide found on this site to create a bootable USB stick etc.
  • Download MultiBeast before you start upgrading/installing - network will NOT work immediately after install with this MB. If you are upgrading you can just leave it in your download folder (it will not be overwritten) - otherwise put it on the stick.

2. Install
  • Again, follow the UniBeast guide - BUT:
  • BIOS: No Intel Virtualization Technology
  • When booting the install, use the following options: PCIRootUID=0 -v
  • I made sure to move the mouse now and again during install, otherwise my screen went into sleep mode (not sure it matters though)
  • You should reach the "Install completed" screen smoothly

3. Booting into the newly installed OSX
This part is what caused the most confusion for me. Since installation had completed so smoothly, I assumed that the boot arguments specified above were correct. So I once again just typed in the PCIRootUID=0 option and tried to boot the install. Result: Kernel Panic!

Turns out that UniBeast will try to load the OS with the option npci=0x3000 by default. This is incorrect for 10.8.5, but apparently doesn't affect the install process. You can fix it like this:
  • Boot the install with: -F PCIRootUID=0 -v
  • Open the file: /Extra/org.chameleon.Boot.plist
  • Remove the npci=0x3000 part from the kernel arguments
  • At the same time, add a section to set PCIRootUID=0 (so you don't have to type it everytime you boot
  • Reboot without specifying any options - it should just work now...

4. Post install setup
  • Run the MultiBeast tool you downloaded
  • DSDT-less install
  • Network: Atheros
  • I also checked the USB3.0 setting and something regarding 1080p
  • You'll need to pick the correct sound driver here as well

Anyway, the above worked for me and I just wanted to share it here. It's actually only a few tweaks that are needed to the vanilla UniBeast approach, but important ones :) Many other posters talks about booting in safe mode, with GraphicsEnabler=No etc... but that appears to be unneccesary..

Hopefully this can be of help to someone with similar HW specs. Thanks to all you awesome hackers who in turn guided me :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back