Contribute
Register

Success: GA-Z170X-UD3, Skylake 6700k, AMD RX580 (RX480), 5K Dell UP2715K, no helper card, almost OOB

Status
Not open for further replies.

XQC

Motherboard
GA Z170 UD3
CPU
i7 6770K
Graphics
AMD RX580
Mac
  1. MacBook Pro
Mobile Phone
  1. Android
First of all, this guide is for a completely new install. For whatever reason, the upgrade procedure failed from 10.12.6 to 10.13, I got a hangup at the Apple boot logo. So I said screw it and did a new install and restored from a Time Machine backup.

Bildschirmfoto 2017-10-04 um 18.23.44.png

So this guide works fine for a new installation and these components:

• Gigabyte GA-Z170X-UD3
  • Intel i6700k Skylake
  • AMD RX 580 (which is only a bumped up RX480), specific vendor / model: Sapphire RX 580 8G Nitro
  • Samsung 1TB Pro 840 SSD
  • (32 GB RAM)

What works:
Almost everything, except...

What doesn't work / Disclaimer:
Internal soundcard: I have disabled that because I use a USB soundcard (Xonar U7)

Problems:
Boot process is somewhat slow for a SSD? (about 1 minute), I am looking into that.

BIOS settings
  • In BIOS Features
    • Fast Boot: Disabled
    • Windows 8/10 Fatures: Windows 8/10
    • CSM Support: Disabled
    • Network Stack: Disabled
  • In Peripherals:
    • Intel Platform Trust Technology: Disabled
    • Initial Display Output: PCIe 1 Slot (Or whatever slot your GFX is in)
    • Legacy USB Support: Enabled
    • XHCI Hand-off: Enabled
    • Port 60/64 Emulation: Disabled
    • In Super IO Configuration:
      • Serial Port 1: Disabled
  • In Chipset:
    • Internal Graphics: Disabled
    • Audio Controller: Enabled
    • PCH LAN Controller: Enabled
    • IOAPIC 24-119 Entries: Enabled
Preparation:
  • Download High Sierra from Mac App Store on a Mac / Hackintosh
  • Create USB install stick with DiskmakerX
  • Download Clover
  • Install Clover ON THE USB DRIVE (!) with these options:
    • Installation for UEFI motherboards
    • Bootloader: No update
    • CLOVER EFI 64 SATA
    • Drivers64UEFI: CSM, Fat, EmuVariable, OsxAptioFix2, OsxAptioFix
  • Download Clover Configurator, open it, go to Mount EFI, Open Partition and copy the files from the clover-kext-zip from this post to the folder /EFI/EFI/CLOVER/kexts/Other
  • Download apfs.efi from this post and copy to /EFI/EFI/CLOVER/drivers64UEFI
  • Press on the home button and load EFI - EFI - CLOVER - config.plist. Options to tick:
    • ACPI: FixShutdown, FixDisplay
    • Boot: dart = 0, nv_disable=1
    • Kernel and Kext Patches
      • Name: AppleUSBXHCIPCI, Find: 837d8c10 , Replace: 837d8c1b , Comment: change USB port limit and USB3 support
    • RT Variables: Bootconfig 0x28, CsrActiveConfig 0x67 (this disables CSR completely)
    • SMBios: Click the arrow button under the big question mark and choose MacPro6,1 and click on Generate Serial Button a few times. Note: I get a black screen with an iMac-SMBIOS. MacPro6,1 with AMD RX580 and 5K work out of the box.
  • Save the config and reboot to the USB disk
Installation:

- Erase your install disk with Disk Utility, ideally with APFS
- Start the installation on the fresh formatted disk
- The installation process will reboot the hackintosh a few times. Make sure to select Boot from Install macOS from (install disk), NOT from the USB!
- When installation is finished, there a 3 boot options from the disk: FileVault Preboot, macOS Installer Preboot and Boot MacOS - choose the latter Boot macOS

Post Installation:
Nothing!
As mentioned, RX 580 and 5K will work out of the box. I can't help with the soundcard though, as I use a USB soundcard (which works fine oob). Enjoy your new system :)

Optional: Idiot's guide to iMessage

Bildschirmfoto 2017-10-04 um 16.54.25.png Bildschirmfoto 2017-10-04 um 16.49.01.png

Attachments

• clover-kext-Z170X-UD3.zip
    476.4 KB · Views: 636
  • apfs.efi
    547.8 KB · Views: 520
Last edited:
Thanks for the guide. I've had that monitor and I gave up using it on a hackintosh as it was mad buggy.
I had a Radeon 280x and got it working but then switched to a 980Ti and 5k never worked. Glad to hear it works OOB.

You can get internal audio working with Toleda's script.

Careful with APFS. It's buggy and I've had my system bricked out of the blue after 4 days of using it.

I have a question though. Why are you using 3 ethernet kexts in your zip?

You have AtherosE2200Ethernet.kext ; IntelMausiEthernet.kext ; RealtekRTL8111.kext.

I see you're using IntelGraphicsFixup. Why's that?

Also, what does Lilu.kext help with on this mobo?

Thanks!

Last edited:
Works OOTB but using Lilu and Whatevergreen right? For a minute I thought it truly worked OOTB ;)
I'm interested in the RX580 but I doubt using iMac or MacPro SMBios will make any difference with my config.
Is the card stable? in all apps? sleep working? no glitches?
Thanks for the guide bro and have fun with your new rig!

Careful with APFS. It's buggy and I've had my system bricked out of the blue after 4 days of using it.
And this was because of APFS? I didn't read about any bricks because of APFS yet. Anyhow it's no concern for me, since I use a Time-Machine-NAS.

About the other kexts: Well yeah, these were from previous installs on other Mobos. You probably just need IntelMausi.
Lilu is required to work together with WhateverGreen.

Works OOTB but using Lilu and Whatevergreen right? For a minute I thought it truly worked OOTB ;)
It depends what you're considering as OOTB and I wrote "almost" ;) The best thing for me is, that it works with a vanilla macOS without any internal kext modifications or additional third party drivers. You just have to add certain kexts to the Clover folder and you're good to go.

Of course, time will tell how this build will hold up to further OS updates.

Is the card stable? in all apps? sleep working? no glitches?
Tested video editing, Lightroom and Photoshop, no glitches or signs of instability. I don't use sleep.
Considering that working with 5K and the Dell UP2715K was a real pain for hackintoshing, I'm now finally glad to have a configuration that just works.

Last edited:
thank you man, I follow the instruction and get a fully work High Sierra. even the FCPX is working fine now on my GTX 750 ti

Reactions: XQC
I'm interested in this build as I see people having all sorts of problems getting 4k upwards 60hz working on hackintoshes. If it's not a daft question are you having to use a club adapter to get them to work or are you using 2 cables? I was in the mac store the other day and I think what I'm after is a hidpi resolution of 2304x1296 which seemed the right size fonts for me on the lg ultra 5k 27 inch.

I would potentially like to run a small second screen to put log files on, could I use the same card for this?

I can only speak for the Dell UP2715K, I run 2560x1440 hidpi at 60Hz with 2 DP cables, no problems.
You'll have another problem with the LG 5K though, as it only has an thunderbolt-input. I don't know if there's a RX480/580 card that provides an thunderbolt-output.

Multi-monitor is also no problem, at least with my 60" TV over HDMI.

Ah I only mentioned the ultra as an example. I would be buying the dell myself. Could I ask a favour, if you hit option when you click scaled in the display options panel could you try to find 2304x1296 and see if it looks okay? I like big fonts so it would be handy if it just supported it. The Imac retina 5k didn't have it as an option.

The availabe options in the scale menu are: 1600x900, 2048x1152, 2560x1440, 3008x1692 and 3360x1890.

I wouldn't go for any other option as 2560x1440, as it is exactly the half of the original 5120x2880 resolution and looks the sharpest and most readable by far. You can still adjust the font sizes per app in most cases.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back