Contribute
Register

[Success] GA-Z170X-Gaming 7 (Rev 1.0) + i7-6700K + GTX 560 Ti + Sierra

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi @JMacIV & @KyleKeagy, Thank you so much for posting your experience building your Hack with the GA-z170x-Gaming 7 Motherboard + i7-6700k + Skylake + GTX Nvidia graphics card. You guys helped me a lot along with posts by Tonymacx & Slim.jim and others, in getting my Hack to almost work on the same motherboard/CPU and my similar graphics card GTX970 SSC ACX2.0+. Amazing work!

Here is my Hack configuration:
- OS X Sierra 10.12.1 (shows 16B2659 built from 16B2657 on my original Apple Mac)
- MotherBoard (GA-Z170X-Gaming 7)
- CPU (i7-6700K 4GHz)
- Graphics Card (GTX 970 SSC ACX2.0+)
- RAM (32GB Crucial Ballistic DDR4 2400MHz)
- SSD (Samsung 850 EVO 1TB for Sierra) + M.2 drive (Micron M600 128GB for Windows 10)
- LG GH24NSC0B 24x Internal DVD Rewritable SATA Drive
- H100i v2 Cooler fan + Thermaltake Fans + Corsair 450D Case + Corsair ATX760 for Power Supply.
- Wifi (TP Link TL-WND-4800)
- HP 27 inch ZR2740w via DVI display

I have been able to get a pretty clean (without too many changes to config.plist & patches) & stable Hackintosh to work (Nvidia graphics work, audio working with same issues as yours, USB 3.0 working, Wifi working, power down working, App Store working).

But I have not been able to get rid of the "Instant Wake after Sleep" problem. And I found your post on this issue.

Can you help me with the "instant wake after sleep" fix/patch?

I followed your instruction on step 14.3 of your first post by adding your "SSDT-PRW.aml" file to my EFI/CLOVER/ACPI/Patches folder. Though I didn't add the other .aml files since I didn't want to do too many changes at once, plus my power management seems to be fine without those other patches albeit with few states (CPU at around 1.5GHz when idle, Temp at 20C, and 13W Power Consumption). After reboot, and testing "sleep", I still got an instant wake. Depending on whether I use "Darkwake=8" or "Darkwake=0", I get a display screen that's frozen (darkwake=8), or no Display at all (darkwake=0 or 10). And I have no choice but press the power button long enough to shut down my computer.

(update 12/9/16) At first I didn't follow step 11 of your procedure (PikerAlpha SSDRPRGen) since I believed it was related to Power Management but then I realized that I prob. needed to generate my OWN SSDT tables creating my own ssdt.aml file. So I followed your Steps for doing so & pretty much modeled your procedure (except for some Fixes (AddDTGP & Patches) and copied/added all your .aml files without re-creating them, maybe that's what I'm doing wrong?

I still can't get my wake from sleep working. I now can go to sleep, though the USB port seems to be turned on. Then when I push the power button, my display comes up but my screen is frozen. I'm going to continue to add your fixes & patches and test. But my power management seems out of whack now...

Thank you so much guys. I would really appreciate it if you had any suggestions that could help me find the solution to my "wake" issue after "sleep" since you have very similar gear as mine.

Last edited:
1. The USBInjectAll kext should be fine in your /L/E folder. I just chose to put it in EFI/Clover/kext/10.12 so it would be easily accessible in case I need to remove it. So you should be fine there. There is probably an argument to do it one way or the other (I just don't know what it is ha).

2. As far as the CpuPm SSDT, basically all you are doing is "dropping" the table. This tells Clover to ignore it on boot. You have already replaced it with the SSDT generated by PikerAlpha's ssdtPRGen. It can cause conflicts having both.

In order to do that, you have to add this to your config.plist in the ACPI -> DSDT section. You can see my config attached to the first post for the location of where it should go.
Code:
<key>DropTables</key>
<array>
    <dict>
        <key>Signature</key>
        <string>SSDT</string>
        <key>TableId</key>
        <string>CpuPm</string>
    </dict>
</array>

3. You can only wake it via Power Button, which I mentioned in guide. This is a result of the PRW SSDT which enables sleep in the first place. Our systems are not sleeping because of not being able to fully disconnect from USB when trying to sleep. The PRW enables our systems to sleep by disabling USB during sleep. Hence why it only wakes via power. I am researching to see if there is a work around :)

4. Not sure what to tell you on the sound... Are you on the correct sound output Device? Maybe try switching between the different sound output devices. Some of the changes could have changed which one it should be. If that does not work, I would suggest reinstalling CodecCommander and the patched AppleHDA kexts. Also, try shutting down and disconnecting your power cable for 30 seconds or more to clear out the mobo NVRAM (I think that is what it clears...)

BTW, I just ran into finding this as I was searching for a fix for my instant wake from sleep issue...

JMacIV, did you look into this quick fix in this old post (a few "true"/"flash" flags to change/add in config.plist about USBInjection/USBFixOwnership/InjectClockID) for the wake with keyboard/mouse as opposed to "Power button"?
https://www.tonymacx86.com/threads/no-wake-up-from-sleep-by-keyboard-or-mouse-clover.107067/

Hi @JMacIV & @KyleKeagy, Thank you so much for posting your experience building your Hack with the GA-z170x-Gaming 7 Motherboard + i7-6700k + Skylake + GTX Nvidia graphics card. You guys helped me a lot along with posts by Tonymacx & Slim.jim and others, in getting my Hack to almost work on the same motherboard/CPU and my similar graphics card GTX970 SSC ACX2.0+. Amazing work!

- OS X Sierra 10.12.1 (16B2659)
- CPU (i7-6700K 4GHz)
- SSD (Samsung 850 EVO 1TB for Sierra) + M.2 drive (Micron M600 128GB for Windows 10)
- H100i v2 Cooler fan + Thermaltake Fans + Corsair 450D Case + Corsair ATX760 for Power Supply.

I have been able to get a pretty clean (without too many changes to config.plist & patches) & stable Hackintosh to work (Nvidia graphics work, audio working with same issues as yours, USB 3.0 working, Wifi working, power down working, App Store working).

But I have not been able to get rid of the "Instant Wake after Sleep" problem. And I found your post on this issue.

I followed your instruction on step 14.3 of your first post by adding the "SSDT-PRW.aml" file to my EFI/CLOVER/ACPI/Patches folder. Though I didn't add the other .aml files since I didn't want to do too many changes at once, plus my power management seems to be fine without those other patches (CPU at around 1.5GHz when idle, Temp at 20C, and 13W Power Consumption).
After reboot, and testing "sleep", I still got an instant wake. Depending on whether I use "Darkwake=8" or "Darkwake=0", I get a display screen that's frozen (darkwake=8), or no Display at all (darkwake=0 or 10). And I have no choice but press the power button long enough to shut down my computer.

Also I didn't do step 11 of your procedure (PikerAlpha SSDRPRGen) since I believed it was related to Power Management, but maybe I'm wrong and I need to follow Step 11 too, huh?

Do I need to make any changes to the config.plist as well after copying your SSDT-PRW.aml file to the ACPI patch folder? Do I need to follow step 11 & 12 too to fix the "instant wake sleep" issue?
I see that you have in the DSDT.aml Patches section of config.plist, that you have these lines related to SSDT.PRW.aml. Do I need to add it into my config.plist too?
<dict>
<key>Comment</key>
<string>change Method(GPRW,2,N) to XPRW, pair with SSDT-PRW.aml</string>
<key>Disabled</key>
<false/>
<key>Find</key>
<data>R1BSVwI=</data>
<key>Replace</key>
<data>WFBSVwI=</data>
</dict>

Thank you so much guys. I would really appreciate it if you could help me find the solution since you have very similar gear as mine.

Hi KDL,

I have the same motherboard and CPU as you but I have gtx 980 ti. I was wondering, your OS version is 10.12.1 (16B2659). There is currently no Nvidia driverweb for this OS I believe. Where did you download the Nvidia driver?

Also, how did you get your graphics card to recognize? I even tried typing "true" below "NvidiaWeb" in the config.plist, but I have no luck. Please let me know. I would appreciate it. Thanks!

Hi KDL,

I have the same motherboard and CPU as you but I have gtx 980 ti. I was wondering, your OS version is 10.12.1 (16B2659). There is currently no Nvidia driverweb for this OS I believe. Where did you download the Nvidia driver?

Also, how did you get your graphics card to recognize? I even tried typing "true" below "NvidiaWeb" in the config.plist, but I have no luck. Please let me know. I would appreciate it. Thanks!

Hi samjcg, weird indeed. My Hack's About Mac->Sys Info->Software shows 16B2659, even though I have 16B2657 on my laptop where I built my OS Sierra install from. Not sure why, since I didn't do any updates to the Hack. And my Nvidia Alternative Graphics Drivers was downloaded from the link provided by Tonymacx86 here for 16B2657.

Yes, I did get my graphics card to recognize. Yes, you need "NVidiaWeb" set to "true".
The main issue I had - after following Slim.Jim's guide to "Solving Nvidia Driver Install & Loading Problems", "Post #1 / Problem 6" - was that I didn't remove my USB Boot Flash Drive after reboot and installation of the Fix to setup the emulated NVRAM (just as shown by this JVMacIV's first post - step 9 where he installs the Clover installer package with 2 checks in customize section (EmuVariableUefi-64 & Install RC Scripts).

So make sure you have done the above steps & to remove your USB Boot Flash Drive to make sure the config.plist used is your OS Sierra's config.plist. And if not working and you haven't done much yet as far as changing the config.plist, I would suggest a clean install from the start following Tonymacx86's original guide, and what I wrote here. It should work if you have the same MB and CPU and similar graphics card as mine.

- OS X Sierra 10.12.1 (shows 16B2659 built from 16B2657 on my original Apple Mac)
- CPU (i7-6700K 4GHz)

I followed your instruction on step 14.3 of your first post by adding your "SSDT-PRW.aml" file to my EFI/CLOVER/ACPI/Patches folder. Though I didn't add the other .aml files since I didn't want to do too many changes at once, plus my power management seems to be fine without those other patches albeit with few states (CPU at around 1.5GHz when idle, Temp at 20C, and 13W Power Consumption). After reboot, and testing "sleep", I still got an instant wake. Depending on whether I use "Darkwake=8" or "Darkwake=0", I get a display screen that's frozen (darkwake=8), or no Display at all (darkwake=0 or 10). And I have no choice but press the power button long enough to shut down my computer.

(update 12/9/16) At first I didn't follow step 11 of your procedure (PikerAlpha SSDRPRGen) since I believed it was related to Power Management but then I realized that I prob. needed to generate my OWN SSDT tables creating my own ssdt.aml file. So I followed your Steps for doing so & pretty much modeled your procedure (except for some Fixes (AddDTGP & Patches) and copied/added all your .aml files without re-creating them, maybe that's what I'm doing wrong?

I still can't get my wake from sleep working. I now can go to sleep, though the USB port seems to be turned on. Then when I push the power button, my display comes up but my screen is frozen. I'm going to continue to add your fixes & patches and test. But my power management seems out of whack now...

Thank you so much guys. I would really appreciate it if you had any suggestions that could help me find the solution to my "wake" issue after "sleep" since you have very similar gear as mine.

Hey KDL, I apologize for taking so long to get back to you. Was swamped with work... Glad to hear you are making progress on your Hack.

For the sleep/wake, mine was instant waking due to the USB interfering with sleep. That PRW ssdt fixed that. But I also had already patched my USB with the USB-SSDT and adding the kext USBInjectAll to EFI/Clover/kexts/10.12. Have you taken all of those steps?

Did you do the rename related to GPRW in your config file? That SSDT will not work without it. That could be part of your issue if not?

Yes, you definitely need your own ssdt.aml following PikerAlpha's steps. That is important for power management. Glad you did that. Our CPU should be able to idle around 800MHz if I remember correctly.

My system is booting and sleeping fine without any darkwake flags and I have PowerNap enabled.

BTW, I just ran into finding this as I was searching for a fix for my instant wake from sleep issue...

JMacIV, did you look into this quick fix in this old post (a few "true"/"flash" flags to change/add in config.plist about USBInjection/USBFixOwnership/InjectClockID) for the wake with keyboard/mouse as opposed to "Power button"?
https://www.tonymacx86.com/threads/no-wake-up-from-sleep-by-keyboard-or-mouse-clover.107067/

I think I did... I honestly can't remember. Will relook into that. I am thinking that it may not work though since the PRW fix basically disconnects all USB before sleeping, so the system cannot be woken from USB since they are disconnected. I haven't had much time the last few weeks to play around with it further. But I am getting some more time now, so will check back into it.

Hi KDL,

Hey Samjcg - If you do not have the WebDrivers installed, then NvidiaWeb true will do nothing except cause problems I believe. Until you have the WebDrivers installed, boot without NvidiaWeb true. Once installed though, you definitely need NvidiaWeb set to true in your config for it to load the WebDrivers. I haven't heard of that 659 build before, but you can probably edit the drivers for a different build of 10.12.1 to pass the verification test to get them to work.

Once you have the Drivers installed and NvidiaWeb set to true, then your card should be recognized.

Hi samjcg, weird indeed. My Hack's About Mac->Sys Info->Software shows 16B2659, even though I have 16B2657 on my laptop where I built my OS Sierra install from. Not sure why, since I didn't do any updates to the Hack. And my Nvidia Alternative Graphics Drivers was downloaded from the link provided by Tonymacx86 here for 16B2657.

Yes, I did get my graphics card to recognize. Yes, you need "NVidiaWeb" set to "true".
The main issue I had - after following Slim.Jim's guide to "Solving Nvidia Driver Install & Loading Problems", "Post #1 / Problem 6" - was that I didn't remove my USB Boot Flash Drive after reboot and installation of the Fix to setup the emulated NVRAM (just as shown by this JVMacIV's first post - step 9 where he installs the Clover installer package with 2 checks in customize section (EmuVariableUefi-64 & Install RC Scripts).

So make sure you have done the above steps & to remove your USB Boot Flash Drive to make sure the config.plist used is your OS Sierra's config.plist. And if not working and you haven't done much yet as far as changing the config.plist, I would suggest a clean install from the start following Tonymacx86's original guide, and what I wrote here. It should work if you have the same MB and CPU and similar graphics card as mine.

Your build on your laptop can be different from your Hack for sure. If you updated your Laptop to 10.12.1 at a different time than made the Hack stick, it could easily be a different build. Making the USB stick does not use the version that the comp is running, but rather the version that you downloaded from the App Store at a later date. So if you updated your Laptop a week apart from downloading the version on the App Store to put on your USB stick, could be a different build number.

Good suggestions KDL!

@JMacIV

I think according to my knowledge you can have both discrete + integrated graphics (I have it working on my system right now)
See here: https://www.tonymacx86.com/threads/integrated-and-discrete-graphics-working-together.128226/

The only thing is that you need to have 2+ monitors - one of them is hooked up to my iGPU, the other to my 1080 (which isn't working because lack of Pascal drivers, and why I enabled the iGPU so that I could have some sort of acceleration for macOS).

-Duncan

Hey KDL, I apologize for taking so long to get back to you. Was swamped with work... Glad to hear you are making progress on your Hack.

For the sleep/wake, mine was instant waking due to the USB interfering with sleep. That PRW ssdt fixed that. But I also had already patched my USB with the USB-SSDT and adding the kext USBInjectAll to EFI/Clover/kexts/10.12. Have you taken all of those steps?

Did you do the rename related to GPRW in your config file? That SSDT will not work without it. That could be part of your issue if not?

Yes, you definitely need your own ssdt.aml following PikerAlpha's steps. That is important for power management. Glad you did that. Our CPU should be able to idle around 800MHz if I remember correctly.

My system is booting and sleeping fine without any darkwake flags and I have PowerNap enabled.

I think I did... I honestly can't remember. Will relook into that. I am thinking that it may not work though since the PRW fix basically disconnects all USB before sleeping, so the system cannot be woken from USB since they are disconnected. I haven't had much time the last few weeks to play around with it further. But I am getting some more time now, so will check back into it.

Hey Samjcg - If you do not have the WebDrivers installed, then NvidiaWeb true will do nothing except cause problems I believe. Until you have the WebDrivers installed, boot without NvidiaWeb true. Once installed though, you definitely need NvidiaWeb set to true in your config for it to load the WebDrivers. I haven't heard of that 659 build before, but you can probably edit the drivers for a different build of 10.12.1 to pass the verification test to get them to work.

Once you have the Drivers installed and NvidiaWeb set to true, then your card should be recognized.

Your build on your laptop can be different from your Hack for sure. If you updated your Laptop to 10.12.1 at a different time than made the Hack stick, it could easily be a different build. Making the USB stick does not use the version that the comp is running, but rather the version that you downloaded from the App Store at a later date. So if you updated your Laptop a week apart from downloading the version on the App Store to put on your USB stick, could be a different build number.

Good suggestions KDL!

Thanks so much @JMacIV for your response, help & words of encouragement!

With my config.plist pretty much the same as your config.plist (except for the DSDT patch about _DSM to XDSM which prevents me from using Intel Power Gadget which won't open with that patch on), I didn't need "darkwake=8" to get my system to wake, albeit still in frozen display after wake from power button.

About the USB interfering, my guess is my pb could be similar (or else it's my graphics card being different from yours).
I did try to patch my USB with your SSDT-USB.aml file & add the kext USBInjectAll.kext file to EFI/Clover/kexts folder, but I had to create a new 10.12 folder which didn't exist in my EFI folder structure. Maybe that's where I made the mistake? Was a 10.12 folder already present for you? I did update clover to the newest version (newer than yours) but only after I had created the 10.12 folder first. Maybe I need to change the folder's attributes since I created it via OS X Finder. I'm assuming my newer Clover is compatible with yours.

I tried to follow your procedure in post #1 step 12. But I think I didn't do it right. I did reboot after adding the USBInjectAll.kext file you attached in post #1, and I just copied your SSDT-USB.aml file to the ECI/ACPI/patched folder. I'm currently keeping my "raise port limit" patch since I might not have USBInjectAll working properly at boot. I also tried by removing it but it doesn't change my problem.

I also added the rename relate to GPRW in my config.plist. And used my own ssdt.aml + enabled PowerNap via Systems Preferences via the Apple Icon.

I also copied your other .aml patched files in my ACPI/patched folder (I didn't generate new ones), but they didn't change anything to my sleep/wake problem or power management issues it seems. I'm still at around 1.5-2Ghz when idle. It's great you managed to get a low 0.8GHz for idle, maybe having different GPUs change our idle...

Yes, you're right prob. about my OS build being different since I did download OS Sierra about a week after my laptop latest OS update. Great point!

I would really appreciate it if you could tell me if I am missing something regarding the USBInjectAll.kext procedure, or if I need to generate my own .aml files too for (USB, LPC, SMBUS, HACK). Do I need to run that USBInjectAll.kext file via Kext utility prior to rebooting? I tried running it with EasyKext Utility & rebooting but no changes.

I might try to re-install everything following your procedure closely, which I didn't as I was trying to fix my issues building on what I already had, using different parts of your procedure.

GOOD LUCK JmacIV with your system testing, hopefully you can get everything to work nicely! Would love to hear if you managed to do so & we would be grateful to see your procedure updated with your new findings. Thank you.

Last edited:
Thank you so much for this thread. Just got bluetooth working thanks to the info on the USB 3rd party and the 2.0 headers in the initial post!! Legend

Edited config.plist from EFI/Clover. I prefer to use TextEdit. Xcode is also good. Word on the street is that Clover Configurator can corrupt it. To mount EFI, google the terminal commands or download EFI Mounter v3 here: https://www.tonymacx86.com/resources/efi-mounter-v3.280/
  1. Still testing, but Fixes under DSDT - AddDTGP, FixShutdown, AddMCHC, NewWay, FixRTC, FixS3D

To do the above is it just a case of loading the config.plist file in text editor and setting false to "True"?

having a shutdown problem at the moment.

Complete newly of course! :)

To do the above is it just a case of loading the config.plist file in text editor and setting false to "True"?

having a shutdown problem at the moment.

Complete newly of course! :)

Yes, you just change the Fix you want to test to "true" in config.plist with textedit. In the case of a machine that can't shutdown, usually FixShutdown set to true fixes it. The full explanation of DSDT Fixes here.
<key>FixShutdown_0004</key>
<true/>

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back