32 GB ram
2 GTX 970
Gigabyte GC thunderbolt 2 add-in card
2 Apple Thunderbolt Display
keyboard and bluetooth apple
dongle usb bluetooth
Corsair 860w
Yosemite 10.10.2

This hack is for editing (Final Cut Pro X) and After Effects.

I first tried to install with Clover but I figured out that Clover works only if you have just one GPU. With more, there is a problem of « allocation memory ».
The problem is known from the clover developers so I guess it will be fixed in a few weeks/months.

So I installed, at this point without the thunderbolt card, following these topics :
http://www.tonymacx86.com/yosemite-desktop...00-working.html
http://www.tonymacx86.com/yosemite-desktop...hackintosh.html
http://www.tonymacx86.com/yosemite-desktop...620k-gt610.html
http://www.tonymacx86.com/yosemite-desktop...hackintosh.html

My post install kext is the same as the one of the first link. My smbios MacPro 3.1.

For audio working, I installed HDAEnabler1.kext with kext wizard. Then, I repaired authorizations, permissions and I rebooted.
And I installed the patched AppleHDA.kext. Then I repaired authorizations, permissions and I rebooted.

Then I plugged the thunderbolt card on the pcie3 slot of the MB.
At boot I got a message in the bios :
« PCI OUT OF RESOURCES »
So let’s go to the thunderbolt page in the bios and change « memory reserved » from « maximum » to « medium ».

After that reboot, and Yosemite is ok but boot very slow.
I deleted AppleThunderboltNHI.kext and the slow boot problem is gone.

The 2 apple thunderbolt displays are recognize on osx (I didn’t needed windows).

Bluetooth works out of the box with the dongle.

What I didn’t test : iMessage, handoff, continuity, wifi, airplay, icloud.
The Mac App Store works.
What is not working :
Sometimes the 2nd Apple thunderbolt display is not recognized at boot, I have to boot again for it works.
The usb, ethernet, firewire ports, micro, webcam of the Apple thunderbolt display don’t work, even with windows.

Benchmarks (I’m a little bit disappointed with the performances ) :

Luxmark OpenCL gpu 4263
cpu and gpu 3995

Geekbench
single core : 2724
multi core : 17451

cinebench
OpenGL 52,13 fps
cpu 1011 cb

BruceX : 50s

CUDA-Z
-----------------------
Memory Copy
Host Pinned to Device: 11.49 GiB/s
Host Pageable to Device: 9860.96 MiB/s
Device to Host Pinned: 12.2014 GiB/s
Device to Host Pageable: 11.1972 GiB/s
Device to Device: 61.7004 GiB/s
GPU Core Performance
Single-precision Float: 4037.09 Gflop/s
Double-precision Float: 129.457 Gflop/s
32-bit Integer: 1255.3 Giop/s
24-bit Integer: 969.029 Giop/s

i assume you didn't use clover at all then hey? Its not an issue with dual GPUs only, but with more than one pcie device. Many people are having an issue with the x99 and a GPU and the thunderbolt add in card - with clover you get the allocation error.

Did you manage to install one GPU and the thunderbolt with clover?

any update about thunderbolt add on card? i have this too and the card is not detected in bios.....

any update about thunderbolt add on card? i have this too and the card is not detected in bios.....

had same issue. i use x99 gaming 7 wifi. Gigabyte support told me to plug the card into PCI-Slot 2 wich is exactly follow your Manual of your board.

After that slot change the card is recognized in bios

Give it a try and check which PIC2 is the correct one

Hey there,

Does anyone know if these issues have been resolved?

I have the same using Clover and 5930k x99 Yosemite, m.2 SSD & Graphics card together work fine, add thunderbolt to another Pcie slot and no boot...

Thanks!

To the OP:

Did you ever test a hard drive with the thunderbolt port on this build?

Hi, i tried to install almost same configuration. but i gave up. After spending hours and hours i was not able to get Thunderbolt running on that board. I invested in Asus x99-S board and a dual Thunderbolt add on card. After just some hours my Video editing monster runs right out of the box. I personally can recommend to change the mobo if you need thunderbolt and if you are not hackintosh expert.

I also invested in a blackmagic design ssd dock and now i can edit right from the ssds 4k footage. AWSOME....

i was wondering if the asus x99-pro is the same as the S model as I'm leaning more towards that board since it has 2 m.2 slot and some other goodies.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back