Contribute
Register

Success - GA-X58A-UD3R

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yet another CustoMac 2010 owner here having trouble booting into the USB Mavericks Unibeast installer. Finding this thread got me excited but after trying literally every suggestion on these five pages I'm still sitting here running 10.7.5. The same USB installer has worked fine on several other machines.

Hardware:
GA-X58A-UD3R
Gigabyte Radeon 5770 1GB "Batmobile" using DVI
i7-950

Problem:
After all the kexts finish loading the screen flashes white (or light gray) for a split second, then goes black for a few seconds, then the system reboots.

I've tried:
-Upgrading BIOS to FH.
-BIOS settings: Made sure HPET set to 64-bit, enabled no-execute memory protect, ACPI suspend type S3(STR).
-Using several different org.chameleon.Boot.plists in the installer that X58A-UD3R users have shared.
-Booting with every combination of flags suggested in this thread, and more.

Can anyone help me figure out what I've got wrong?

Since I have had small troubles booting OS X installers from usb on this board, I have always created the bootable usb, then used Disk Utility or CCC and restored the image on the USB to another partition on an internal HD and booted from the internal HD. Maybe this will help someone.

I think I figured it out this morning, was just a silly discrepancy and I feel kind of stupid: I plugged another drive in over SATA to try rmmcwh's suggestion of cloning the USB drive to an internal HDD and booting from that. Went to boot up off of it and discovered that the PNY USB Flash Disk that my Unibeast installer is on was listed along with all the hard drives in the HDD sub-menu of the boot menu. All this time I've been selecting "USB-FDD" from the top level of the boot menu to boot to USB and was perplexed as to why I was getting the old Chameleon graphics instead of the installer's graphics. It appears that it didn't know I was trying to select the PNY USB and was instead failing back to my boot HDD!

Tried booting to the Unibeast USB installer again this way and got WAY farther but still froze right before the welcome screen. This is probably because I messed with all sorts of settings on the USB last night and will just have to re-make it. Didn't have time to do that before work this morning, I'll try this evening and report back but I'm like 90% confident that I've got this now.

PIBCAC!

edit - As an aside I think it's funny how everyone in this thread has a late 2010 join date, it's like a class reunion!

Hey man, I have the same setup as you. Did you get mavericks to install?
Every time I load UniBeast the gray apple screen loads and them the display turns off.
I am pretty sure it is an issue with the GTS 450 card somehow. Wondering if you have figured it out yet?

^^^^^^
| | | | | |
THIS worked for me -- thank you for the great suggestion!!

One clarification for others on the steps I had to take:
  • I first ran the "ShowAllFiles.app" to make the hidden system folders visible
  • Then pasted the DSDT.aml file into the Extra folder off the root of the USB thumb drive
  • Ran "ShowAllFiles.app" again to rehide the system folders
  • Rebooted off the USB thumb drive via F12 during POST
  • At the Chimera boot menu, chose the USB and used the following options: "GraphicsEnabler=Yes PCIRootUID=1 USBFix=Yes"
  • Booted straight into the Mavericks installer to complete the upgrade from Mountain Lion (10.8.5)
  • Rebooted after install completed and voila!

Thanks again for the tip!

This also worked for me, just took a long time to load, so if blank, grey screen comes up, just wait a few minutes to see if it goes through!

I updated the bios and followed your steps ....and it work perfectly thanks alot.

Hi all,

Hope you've found luck in getting up and running. For anyone else with a similar config that might find this useful, here is a quick rundown for my config, settings and confirmed-working features:

Gigabyte GA-X58A-UD3R Rev 2.0, BIOS FH
All standard BIOS options (except the required AHCI sata & HPET 64-bit settings)
No over clocking​
Core i7-980X
PNY GeForce 9800 GT 1GB (0x0614)
Patriot 12 GB DDR3 1600 MHz (3) 4GB modules
System Profiled as MacPro3,1
Boot drive:
Samsung 256GB SSD PM810​
Other SATA drives:
WD-1TB SATA (WD10EADS-65L5B1)
Hitachi-1TB SATA (HUA721010KLA330)
WD-2TB SATA (WD2002FAEX-007BA0) for Time Machine
Optical Drives:
HL-DT-ST BD-RE BH20N
PLDS DVD+-RW DH-16A6S
Apple iSight Firewire webcam (0x8, 0xA27000414369F)

The startup time from power-on to OS X logon screen is remarkably quicker than 10.8.5.
Overall I'm VERY pleased with how fluid and responsive things are all throughout the GUI

Confirmed working features:
Sound works
Shutdown/Restart works
iMessage works (yeah!)
FaceTime not tested yet (need time to play with this)

But the biggest bonus IMHO is:
SLEEP works great -- both manual AND unattended time-out modes (via Energy Saver)!!​

Geekbench 2.0 64-bit:
Currently clocking at 14884 with the Mavericks 10.9 config
Previous 10.8.5 config peaked at 15595 - regardless I'm still very pleased overall​

Thank you, Tony, MacMan, and all the other contributors -- something way more than a cup o joe coming your way on payday!

I'm going to Ditto d.paolantonio for a moment here too... uploading my MB 6.0 settings and the DSDT for anyone else who might find them useful
View attachment 71926
View attachment 71927

Dude-- you've got to overclock that bad boy of a processor.

I'm on the same board + Bios, but just swapped in a Xeon L5639, which is essentially a low-wattage, multiplier limited (x18 is max) Xeon version of the 980X. I'm at bclk 210 x 18 multi for ~3.8ghz.

My Geekbench score is 17,000.

I'm sure you could get up towards 18-20K by overclocking your chip without too much work. For reference, my 3.8 Ghz i7-950 was getting 12,500 in Geekbench.

Cheers!

Thanks for your dsdt and multibeast config. It works perfectly for me!

Updated to 10.9.4 audio is the only issue I'm having has of right now.

i'd love to hear how you did it. settings etc. i just tried a quick test and it fails after the boot screen. i tried the boot switches, one for having the geforce 9800gtx and that didn't work. the screen went dark and the usb drive stopped flashing. i was able to to use get SL working and now i want to try unibeast and see if i can make it work.

i'm curious about which bios version works best , i'm on F5, and my MB is rev 1.0. also what are the ideal bios settings for mavericks.

thanks in advance.

i'm kinda new to this level of tweaking so i appreciate any response/guidance.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back