Graphics
GTX 660
Mac
  1. iMac
  2. MacBook Pro
Mobile Phone
  1. Android
  2. iOS
This is not intended as a guide, but a history of success!

I have been wanting to post a successful build using my hardware for quite some time, but haven’t had all the correct parts and settings done correctly before now.

The biggest challenge has been getting my CPU to run optimally without the infamous coil whining noise coming from the system when on full load. From doing a lot of reading I have figured out that it is either the CPU itself or the MOSFETS on the motherboard as HowtoHackintosh suggests. I have however fixed the issue in OS X by using the NullCPUManagement kext from latest Multibeast. All C-state settings in my BIOS are enabled and C1E/EIST are even enabled and I have no noise at all.

Hardware:
CPU: Good old Intel i7 930 (@2.88GHz)
RAM: Corsair Dominator 6GB Triple Channel DDR3
Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-X58A-UD3R Rev.1 (BIOS: F6)
Video Card: Gigabyte GeForce GTX 660 (GV-N660OC-2GD)
Harddrive: WD 500GB SATA300 (WD5000LPVT)

Peripherals:
2x Acer X233h VGA monitors (1080p)
Creative Live! Cam Socialize HD 1080
Logitech Illuminated Keyboard
Roccat Kova+ Mouse

BIOS Configuration:
http://lnx2mac.blogspot.dk/2010/07/optimal-bios-configuration.html
Note: As I have learned from looking at other guides, it is advised to select AHCI for ALL SATA ports in BIOS, and then disable the ones not used. This should rule out possible glitches with hard drives.

Preparations:
Download Unibeast, Multibeast and Chameleon Wizard
Download DSDT for GA-X58A-UD3R Rev. 1.0 F6 from the tonymacx86 DSDT Database
Download Mavericks from App Store
Run Unibeast > Create the Install USB
Put Multibeast, DSDT and Chameleon Wizard in a folder on Install USB

Installation Process:
Follow tonymacx86.com’s Mavericks installation guide point for point, this works flawlessly. It did for me.

Multibeast settings:
Load DSDT-GA-X58A-UD3R-F6.aml from Desktop
Audio: ALC889 driver without DSDT
Misc: NullCPUPowerManagement (Important! - CPU dies without it)

Getting GPT boot0 errors? No problem!
Goto: http://www.tonymacx86.com/25-boot0-error-official-guide.html
Follow solution 1

Can't login to iMessage but App Store, FaceTime etc is working fine? No problem!
Use Chameleon Wizard > Modules > FileNVRAM > Enable this
And Chameleon Wizard > SMBios > Edit > Choose Mac Pro 5,1 > Append 6 extra letters&numbers to suggested serial > Save.
Reboot

GeekBench:
Single-Core Score: 2029
Multi-Core Score: 7815

On previous attempts to get Mavericks running I didn't have the video card I have now.
I have tried the following GeForce models:
9800GT 512MB (black screen first boot)
GTX260 768MB (black screen first boot)
GTX460 1024MB (black screen first boot)

My GTX660 runs out of the box, and supports the latest NVIDIA web drivers. Full load 1h temperature is approx. 66 degrees celsius versus 45 idle.

WHEN I did this.. no internet working and very HIGH FRQ SOUND "PPeeeeeee~~" is still doing around.. and then I can't see temp for CPU and GPU too. but sleep wake up is nice working.
so I input AppleRTL8169ethernet 2.0.6 from multiBeast = > it;s working (lan)
and FakeSMC PLUGINS and HWMOnitor Application => it's working (cpu GPU temp)
than update 10.9.1 to 10.9.2..
and than no sleep wake up working..
and I give up the ppeeeee high Fequancy sounds..it maybe from POWER or SPDIF socket

Im so mad... plz if u can help ..

P.S. (I input bios F7's DSDT)

You could try starting from scratch, and then go with the F6 DSDT and NullCPUPowerManagement from Misc in MuiltiBeast. Don't update to 10.9.2 before you have the basics running - Everything on my system worked flawlessly except audio at first MultiBeast/Reboot.

Maybe also tell me the specific motherboard version you have, because there are some CPU power/frequency management differences from the Rev1.0 motherboard and the 2.0.

me again I was success but this way couldn't work SPEED STEP... and high temperature over 80 cpu temp 뭉 60 Graphic temp... in PC 45 cpu 43 gpu

really sure MAC PRO 5.1 is collect?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back