Contribute
Register

(Success) GA-H61N-USB3 (Ivybridge i7-3770) – GeForce GT 520 (no need to uninstall) –

Status
Not open for further replies.
Motherboard
GA-Z270N-GAMING 5
CPU
i7-7700K
Graphics
NVIDIA GeForce GTX 760 1024 MB
Mac
  1. iMac
  2. MacBook Pro
  3. Mac mini
  4. Mac Pro
Classic Mac
  1. PowerBook
  2. SE
Mobile Phone
  1. Android
  2. iOS
  3. Windows Phone
(Success) GA-H61N-USB3 (Ivybridge i7-3770) – GeForce GT 520 (no need to uninstall)

I will acknowledge other posters in updates as I have used some of their guides to find the solution for my system.

This guide works for me every time.

1. Make a ML USB install disk as outlined in other guides. There is no need to remove the GT-520 from the system.

You will also need the following:

• DP3 NVidia Kexts from http://www.insanely-mac.com
• Multibeast 4.6.1
• Your User DSDT for the GA-H61N-USB3 motherboard
• Chimera 1.11.1
• Kext Utility, and
• the NVidia Cuda driver downloaded from NVIDIA DRIVERS 5.0.17.

Copy the needed files to your USB installer drive so they are accessible after install. I use a folder named Installers.

You will also need a copy of the AHCI drivers from your 10.7.4 install:

• AppleAHCIPort.kext
• IOAHCIFamily.kext

I put these in a folder within the Installers folder called Kexts, just so they are not mixed up with the DP3 kexts.

2. Boot to your USB drive and then select the USB installer using the –x flag (safe mode). Then before you install ML, run the Disk Utility to create a partition for your new fresh install as outlined in other guides.

3. Continue with the USB ML install.

4. The installer should complete without a problem.

5. When the installer completes and reboots, select and start the newly installed ML partition using the –x flag (safe mode) to start the ML install.

6. Follow the ML setup when you boot into ML.

7. Navigate to /System/Library/Extensions and remove the following 5 nvidia kexts:

• NVDAGF100Hal.kext
• NVDAGK100Hal.kext
• NVDANV50Hal.kext
• NVDAResman.kext
• NVSMU.kext

You can copy them to another folder on your desktop as a backup before you send them to the trash.

Then delete the kext called GeforceGA.plugin.

Close the window and return to the desktop.

8. Place the copy of your motherboards User DSDT file on the desktop and run multibeast 4.6.1 with the following selections checked:

• UserDSDT install
• System Utilities/Repair Permissions
• Drivers & Bootloaders/Kexts & Enablers/Audio/Realtek AL8xx/Unified Device Injector/ALC8xxHDA
• Drivers & Bootloaders/Kexts & Enablers/Audio/Realtek AL8xx/AppleHDA Rollback
• Drivers & Bootloaders/Kexts & Enablers/Network/Realtek Gigabit Ethernet 2.0.6 for 10
• Customization/System Definitions/Mac Pro/MacPro 3,1

9. When Multi-beast finishes, start Kext Utility. Then drag the kexts from the DP3 folder:

• NVDAGF100Hal.kext
• NVDANV50Hal.kext
• NVDAResman.kext
• NVSMU.kext

onto the Kext Utility window to install and it will automatically set permissions and rebuild the caches.

Close the Kext Utility window when it finishes.

10. Install Chimera 1.11.1 to the ML partition.

11. Install the NVidia Cuda driver, when it finishes it will show an error and say that the installer did not finish. Ignore the error.

12. Navigate to your ML /Extra folder on the ML partition and open the file "org.chameleon.Boot.plist" with Textedit.

Change the string field under the GraphicsEnabler key field to "No" without quotes and save the file. Below is an example of the plist settings for reference.

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>
<!DOCTYPE plist PUBLIC "-//Apple//DTD PLIST 1.0//EN" "http://www.apple.com/DTDs/PropertyList-1.0.dtd">
<plist version="1.0">
<dict>
<key>EthernetBuiltIn</key>
<string>Yes</string>
<key>GenerateCStates</key>
<string>Yes</string>
<key>GeneratePStates</key>
<string>Yes</string>
<key>GraphicsEnabler</key>
<string>No</string>
<key>Kernel</key>
<string>mach_kernel</string>
<key>Kernel Flags</key>
<string>npci=0x3000 darkwake=0</string>
<key>Legacy Logo</key>
<string>Yes</string>
<key>Timeout</key>
<string>2</string>
<key>UseKernelCache</key>
<string>Yes</string>
</dict>
</plist>

13. Run Kext Utility again. It will automatically set permissions and rebuild the caches. Then drag the kexts from AHCI drivers from 10.7.4:

• AppleAHCIPort.kext
• IOAHCIFamily.kext

onto the Kext Utility window to install and it will automatically set permissions and rebuild the caches.

14. Shutdown the computer, remove the USB drive and reboot.

You should now boot into ML with your NVIDIA graphics card fully working! Congratulations!

Note: If like me you have a hard drive that when you reboot gives you the following error:

Loading Operating System …

boot0: GPT
boot0: test
boot0: GPT
boot0: error

Then at Step 14, you should follow the instructions here to make your ML drive bootable. http://www.tonymacx86.com/25-boot0-error-official-guide.html

Good Luck

Fault free operation for 7 days - Update on this build and guide

Just by way of an update. My CustoMini has been running without error for the last 7 days.

All functions are working correctly and no freezes etc. I'd have to say much more stable than the same build under Lion.

BB

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back