Contribute
Register

[Success] Fresh install of 10.15.2 on Z170X-UD5 TH and RX 5700XT with OpenCore

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi

Can you upload your EFI please ? thanks a lot
My EFI is for Opencore .0.5.7 running Catalina 10.15.4 supplemental on Gigabyte Z170x-UD5 TH

Attachments

• EFI.zip
    57.3 MB · Views: 496
i am interresting too: for ThB 3, (usb-C), wih clover i havent thunderbolt, but it may be possible as you say with opencore (opencore 0.5.7 ?) By the way could precise detail on usb configuration (limitation) ? (USB2/SB3)

thanks a lot
It is possible with Clover. There are instructions on how to upgrade the firmware on Gigabyte GA-Z170X-UD5 TH specifically. That has to be done through windows. Follow the info on this post to upgrade the firmware
tonymacx86's Skylake Thunderbolt 3 Test Build: GA-Z170X-UD5-TH ...

It should work after the upgrade however it must be plugged in at boot and if its unplugged it will not reconnect

@LSP

i look your efi, i have somes question
-did you unlock MSR ? (that is possible with a USB key)
-did you use BIOS F22i_th (that request a BIOS F22i_tb with MSR unlock ?)

Please if you try, make a copy for your nvram in nvram.plist, and clear nvram.
to update your bios , make modification to unlock MSR, then restart

My MSR is unlock and i use NVRAM only

for USB, the guide of opencore is complicate for your CM.
your solution for catalina is allright (according to the guide)

My EFI is for Opencore .0.5.7 running Catalina 10.15.4 supplemental on Gigabyte Z170x-UD5 TH
Perfect, it works for me
Thanks a lot

@LSP

i look your efi, i have somes question
-did you unlock MSR ? (that is possible with a USB key)
-did you use BIOS F22i_th (that request a BIOS F22i_tb with MSR unlock ?)

Please if you try, make a copy for your nvram in nvram.plist, and clear nvram.
to update your bios , make modification to unlock MSR, then restart

My MSR is unlock and i use NVRAM only

for USB, the guide of opencore is complicate for your CM.
your solution for catalina is allright (according to the guide)
I use the latest UEFI bios f 22g along with running firmware update tool for thunderbolt support. I did a bios edit to unlock MSR and use NVRAM natively.

Last edited:
@ksy

Any issues with the Sapphire 5700 XT Nitro+ OC?

Thanks

Hey, earlier I tried to upgrade my BIOS but my machine did not wanna boot at all. I tried playing with differnt bios settings etc without any luck. I managed to find a tool from Intel on a sketchy site that worked with Windows and allowed me to downgrade the bios from F2X to F5 so I could boot as normal. I still have the issue with getting en enormous amount of duplicates of boot options in BIOS which I would like to get rid of, and the solution (as far as I know) is to upgrade BIOS.

So, do you mind share your bios settings and the process for bios edit to unlock MSR and native NVRAM?

I use the latest UEFI bios f 22g along with running firmware update tool for thunderbolt support. I did a bios edit to unlock MSR and use NVRAM natively.

Hey, earlier I tried to upgrade my BIOS but my machine did not wanna boot at all. I tried playing with differnt bios settings etc without any luck. I managed to find a tool from Intel on a sketchy site that worked with Windows and allowed me to downgrade the bios from F2X to F5 so I could boot as normal. I still have the issue with getting en enormous amount of duplicates of boot options in BIOS which I would like to get rid of, and the solution (as far as I know) is to upgrade BIOS.

So, do you mind share your bios settings and the process for bios edit to unlock MSR and native NVRAM?

So let me get this straight.. you upgraded your bios and Clover failed to boot or your system didn’t turn over correctly after bios update? Anyhow I have a different motherboard but the key things to watch out for are MSR unlock obviously (my board has that as an option, VT disable, Above 4G decoding (try either or), Raid (not affect me), IGPU disable, etc. Check out Opencore vanilla guide as they detail all the options you need to disable, or enable.

Please keep us posted. Still try running on latest bios if you can. Anyhow just fixed my issues by switching to Opencore and getting new hard drive. Even my gpu works now.

Good luck.

Sort of, yes, however I use OC and not Clover. Will give the BIOS update new attempt soon! :)

So let me get this straight.. you upgraded your bios and Clover failed to boot or your system didn’t turn over correctly after bios update? Anyhow I have a different motherboard but the key things to watch out for are MSR unlock obviously (my board has that as an option, VT disable, Above 4G decoding (try either or), Raid (not affect me), IGPU disable, etc. Check out Opencore vanilla guide as they detail all the options you need to disable, or enable.

Please keep us posted. Still try running on latest bios if you can. Anyhow just fixed my issues by switching to Opencore and getting new hard drive. Even my gpu works now.

Good luck.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back