Gigabyte GA-Z170X-UD5 TH
CPU
i5-6600K
Graphics
RX 5700 XT
Mac
  1. MacBook Air
  2. MacBook Pro
I haven't been able to upgrade my OS from High Sierra due to Nvidia, so this christmas I bought myself a 5700 XT Nitro+ so I could upgrade. I decided to try Opencore (OC) as this seem to be the future for Hackintosh. I haven't tested everything yet, but a lot works OOB. I basically use this machine without having any issues now.

If you have any questions or tips and tricks, let me know!

What works
This is a big change coming from High Sierra, everything so far is butter smooth. I haven't seen any graphical glitches so far either.
  • Normal boot/shutdown and sleep
  • iCloud
  • Continuity, Airdrop
  • iMessage suddenly started to work OOB a while after sign-in on iCloud. No additional configuration required. I remember that earlier this required some additional steps and I think it also required me to have ethernet card working (something I don't have now due to missing kext). I was a bit surprised about this one, but i'm happy it works!
  • Dual boot to Windows (I just plugged my windows drive in!)
  • USB ports. Earlier I had to apply a patch to get the front ports working, this works now.
  • Displayport/HDMI
  • Edit 1
What I need to fix
  • Ethernet card is not detected. This is probably due to I haven't installed the IntelMausi kext yet. I have downloaded it from the github repo and compiled, but not tested yet.
  • Sound. Apple hotkeys for adjusting volume don't work. Here I probably need to install AppleALC kext. I use a USB sound adapter and can adjust volume from my headset, so I get sound from that.
  • Tweaking the oc config. I think that I can remove a few boot arguments such as keepsyms=1 and debug=0x100
Experience from OC
I downloaded OC 0.5.3 and spent a whole day going trough each step of https://khronokernel-2.gitbook.io/opencore-vanilla-desktop-guide/ to prepare the bootloader and create a starting configuration. At first this may seem like a lot, but OC comes with a sample.plist where I (or maybe also you) actually don't have to change much. Mostly the guide were understandable for me, but I had to think twice, or even more times on a few of the steps. For example I was very unsure about the SSDT part (and still am). When booting I had trouble a few times finding the right configuration and had to disable stuff such as vault and remove russian language (yes, the sample file sets language of the installer to Russian).

All in all I would say that currently this is mostly easier than Clover (at least for my build), even if OC is early development. The installation process were straight forward, just as on a real mac.

OC config + kexts etc is attached. I have removed information such as serial number from PlatformInfo -> Generic. The folder also contain some more kext that is suspect I could use, but haven't tested them yet.

My components

Attachments

• EFI.zip
    535.5 KB · Views: 1,137
  • Screenshot 2019-12-30 at 09.01.55.png
    Screenshot 2019-12-30 at 09.01.55.png
    437.8 KB · Views: 546
Last edited:
Thank you for posting your success and including the EFI using OC, Vanilla install of Catalina OS on your Z170X-UD5-TH motherboard. Hopefully this will help me troubleshoot a Z170X-UD5 (not TH), i7-6700 (Skylake), NVME-M.2, AMD-RX-570, build for my cousin using OC in place of my earlier attempt using Clover and non-Vanilla install.

--- Clover Install Worked, but with Issues, so trying OpenCore ---
The system booted into High Sierra from Clover OK, many things worked: Ethernet, Wireless, however a number of issues were unresolved: iMessaging, USB mapping, earlier DVG card GeForce GTX-960 wonky, but intel iGPU worked. Had to set the troubleshooting task aside to attend to an elderly parent's medical needs as many my age face at this point in our lives ... and glad to be able to do so.

--- MSR(0xE2) locked issue ---
Back now on the Hackintosh troubleshooting project to help my cousin, I thought it would be useful to try OpenCore and the Vanilla install process this time around. Painstakingly assembled the kexts, edited the OC Vanilla install sample Config.plist, however, my first boot attempt from the Mojave OS installer USB with OC resulted in a CPU panic after launching a selection from the presented OC "Picker?" menu. Rebooting and running VerifyMsrE2.efi from the OC menu I think it is trying to tell me that MSR(0xE2) is locked on all 4 cores. Believe that means in order for OC Vanilla install of Mojave to work the Gigabyte BIOS v23i needs to be edited/manually patched to clear/disable the BIOS MSR(0xE2) bit.

Would someone be able to help myself and others understand why a Clover install with unedited BIOS and MSR(0xE2) bit set, proceeds OK to the MacOS install while my Vanilla OpenCore USB boot launches (I assume) EFI --> BOOT --> BOOTx64.efi, but into a PANIC ?

If anyone has experience with the BIOS MSR(0xE2) editing process and can point me in the right direction that would be appreciated. Not asking for full instructions as I will be following existing guides on the task, but sometimes there are valuable lessons learned tips from those with experience that are very helpful.

The sample EFI folder on this thread will be a good starting place to check my work with a similar Gigabyte Z170 motherboard to the author's.

--- MSR(0xE2) locked issue ---
Back now on the Hackintosh troubleshooting project to help my cousin, I thought it would be useful to try OpenCore and the Vanilla install process this time around. Painstakingly assembled the kexts, edited the OC Vanilla install sample Config.plist, however, my first boot attempt from the Mojave OS installer USB with OC resulted in a CPU panic after launching a selection from the presented OC "Picker?" menu. Rebooting and running VerifyMsrE2.efi from the OC menu I think it is trying to tell me that MSR(0xE2) is locked on all 4 cores. Believe that means in order for OC Vanilla install of Mojave to work the Gigabyte BIOS v23i needs to be edited/manually patched to clear/disable the BIOS MSR(0xE2) bit.
Did you apply the "xcpm_core_scope_msrs" XCPM KernelToPatch entry in oc config.plist?

In an attempt to fix sleep/wake issues I decided to experiment with open core. following the guide( read it through before starting) I was able to create and install OS 10.15.4 on an external SSD using OC.5.6. I had previously created an SSDT for USB so I used that with success. I then restored a copy of my main drives info to the external so I had a working copy of my main drive. All appears to work fine but I still have sleep/wake issues and flaky USB 2.0 ports which keep dropping my keyboard and mouse. It does work fine in a USB 3.0 port

MY System:
MB-Gigabyte Z170X-UD5-TH
CPU- I&-6700K
Graphics- Sapphire RX-580
Mem -32GB GSkill Ripjaw 3200
SSD- Samsung m.2 970 500GB
WiFI/Bluetooth- original Apple Extreme card on a Pcie adaptor
Logitech K750 keyboard

Does anyone have any thoughts on how to fix sleep/wake and why my USB is not as stable as with clover?

In an attempt to fix sleep/wake issues I decided to experiment with open core. following the guide( read it through before starting) I was able to create and install OS 10.15.4 on an external SSD using OC.5.6. I had previously created an SSDT for USB so I used that with success. I then restored a copy of my main drives info to the external so I had a working copy of my main drive. All appears to work fine but I still have sleep/wake issues and flaky USB 2.0 ports which keep dropping my keyboard and mouse. It does work fine in a USB 3.0 port

MY System:
MB-Gigabyte Z170X-UD5-TH
CPU- I&-6700K
Graphics- Sapphire RX-580
Mem -32GB GSkill Ripjaw 3200
SSD- Samsung m.2 970 500GB
WiFI/Bluetooth- original Apple Extreme card on a Pcie adaptor
Logitech K750 keyboard

Does anyone have any thoughts on how to fix sleep/wake and why my USB is not as stable as with clover?

If you have corect custom usb, do you enter corectly in your config.plist.You can use ProperTree to load in order your kexts etc...

If you have corect custom usb, do you enter corectly in your config.plist.You can use ProperTree to load in order your kexts etc...
I entered my SSDT correctly into config.plist. My kext order is:
Lilu
VirtualSMC
Whatevergreen
AppleALC
IntelMausiEthernet

All other settings are correct as everything works perfectly. iMessage, bluetooth wifi handoff airdrop full graphics accelaeration

I can't seem to figure out what I'm missing.

I entered my SSDT correctly into config.plist. My kext order is:
Lilu
VirtualSMC
Whatevergreen
AppleALC
IntelMausiEthernet

All other settings are correct as everything works perfectly. iMessage, bluetooth wifi handoff airdrop full graphics accelaeration

I can't seem to figure out what I'm missing.
Went back and completely rebuilt my SSDT for USB. All works fine sleep now works ( it seemed mounted USB hard drives cause sleep to fail)
With open core I can't see my USB C ports at all where they worked fine in clover. Any thoughts?

UPDATE: followed the Vanilla Guide explicitly when setting up open core which says to disable Thunderbolt. On the Z170X-ud5 the USBC shares the port with thunderbolt. Since I turned it off in the bios I decided too try re-enabling it as I remembered that when I set it up in clover it used a different controller that was separate from the USB controller and just worked once I updated the firmware. I felt safe testing it as it is in the bios so it could easily be turned off again if it failed to boot or cause problems. Success! It appears to be working properly as it did before. As before you can't hot swap and the device must be plugged in at boot time to activate it.

Last edited:
Went back and completely rebuilt my SSDT for USB. All works fine sleep now works ( it seemed mounted USB hard drives cause sleep to fail)
With open core I can't see my USB C ports at all where they worked fine in clover. Any thoughts?

UPDATE: followed the Vanilla Guide explicitly when setting up open core which says to disable Thunderbolt. On the Z170X-ud5 the USBC shares the port with thunderbolt. Since I turned it off in the bios I decided too try re-enabling it as I remembered that when I set it up in clover it used a different controller that was separate from the USB controller and just worked once I updated the firmware. I felt safe testing it as it is in the bios so it could easily be turned off again if it failed to boot or cause problems. Success! It appears to be working properly as it did before. As before you can't hot swap and the device must be plugged in at boot time to activate it.
Hi

Can you upload your EFI please ? thanks a lot

i am interresting too: for ThB 3, (usb-C), wih clover i havent thunderbolt, but it may be possible as you say with opencore (opencore 0.5.7 ?) By the way could precise detail on usb configuration (limitation) ? (USB2/SB3)

thanks a lot

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back