Contribute
Register

[SUCCESS] first build ever - Gigabyte & Corsair 650D

Status
Not open for further replies.
Re: first build ever - Hackintosh or otherwise

I have a question about the I/O shield. I got my mobo, but when I look at the I/O shield, I see that inside part of the shield, the part facing the inside of the case, has some small pin tabs. I wonder what those tabs are for. Let me know if you need pictures of the I/O shield, and thanks.

They are used to ground the outside shell of the connectors, you will notice they end up touching the metal part of connectors, grounding them to the computer case via the back plate adapter, the case is itself grounded via the round pin of the PSU's AC connector to the wall power outlet.

This way, this directs any/most electrostatic discharges to ground while connecting various peripherals and minimizes the possibility of damaging the related electronic circuits/chips.

BTW, mount PSU first in computer case and connect to wall outlet while PSU switch is OFF. This will ensure that case is grounded and always touch computer case prior to handling any computer part to discharge any body static, fasten MB/parts in this fashion as case is always grounded this way.

Avoid working on carpet, wood floor is better (little static).

Hope this clarifies...

Bobcat86 said:
They are used to ground the outside shell of the connectors, you will notice they end up touching the metal part of connectors, grounding them to the computer case via the back plate adapter, the case is itself grounded via the round pin of the PSU's AC connector to the wall power outlet.

This way, this directs any/most electrostatic discharges to ground while connecting various peripherals and minimizes the possibility of damaging the related electronic circuits/chips.

BTW, mount PSU first in computer case and connect to wall outlet while PSU switch is OFF. This will ensure that case is grounded and always touch computer case prior to handling any computer part to discharge any body static, fasten MB/parts in this fashion as case is always grounded this way.

Avoid working on carpet, wood floor is better (little static).

Hope this clarifies...

Sorry fo my ignorace, do I have to bend these pin tabs or should I leave the as they are while fitting i/o ports through their corresponding holes in the shield? I just want to be sure what to do. Thanks for telling me to secure the PSU first in the case to be grounded. I am still waiting for a few parts to arrive before I start the actual build. Thanks.

Do not bend the tabs !!!

As you slide the MB in place, the tabs will naturally deploy on the metal part of the connectors. Maybe you should seek videos on how to install MB's.

Bobcat86 said:
Do not bend the tabs !!!

As you slide the MB in place, the tabs will naturally deploy on the metal part of the connectors. Maybe you should seek videos on how to install MB's.

No videos give this type of detail. I am OK now. By the way, I followed a few videos in youtube from newegg to many others, but as I said, none gives such details to explain what those tabs do. I will simply slide the connectors into their respective I/O holes, and I should be OK. Thanks.

What's the best way to connect all the case fans? My case has a manual fan controller, but I don't know if I should connect all the fans to the case fan controller--it can control up to 4 fans and the case comes with 3 fans total--or directly to the motherboard so that I can control the fan through software. I'd appreciate your comments. Thanks.

orestesdd said:
What's the best way to connect all the case fans? My case has a manual fan controller, but I don't know if I should connect all the fans to the case fan controller--it can control up to 4 fans and the case comes with 3 fans total--or directly to the motherboard so that I can control the fan through software. I'd appreciate your comments. Thanks.

I always did the fans through the motherboard, gives a cleaner look.

More pictures of some parts of my hack build:

7180775397_23f59253a0_m.jpg

Above, monitor testing with my laptop. It looks great.

7180775229_08474c5c64_m.jpg

Above, the speakers testing using my laptop.

7180775921_e8a8a69d55_m.jpg

Above, unpacking Corsair Obsidian 650D

7366002824_0c0f52aaf7_m.jpg

Above, inside of Corsair Obsidian 650D case

7180775095_54420779e8_m.jpg

Above, Sony DVD, Gigabyte Mobo, Corsair DDR3

7366001756_711fbde371_m.jpg

Above, just Sony DVD R/W internal player.

7370196616_46841f8042_m.jpg

Above, CPU and SSD which just arrived today 6/13/2012.

I am still waiting for amazon to deliver PSU and some other parts to start this build.

All purchases ended today with the final parts. Now I need to wait for all the parts to arrive so that I can start this build as soon as everything is together at home. Thanks to everyone for his/her input and help.

I use the fan controller. This will allow you to adjust the speed of your fans, while connecting them directly the the PSU (or to the motherboard) will not.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back