Contribute
Register

[SUCCESS] first build ever - Gigabyte & Corsair 650D

Status
Not open for further replies.
Re: first build ever - Hackintosh or otherwise

orestesdd said:
It seems I will have to wait until there is a new weekend sale deals to buy the hardware. So far I have seen the case and a few other things go up in price in such a way that I am not able to buy them within my projected budget. I will keep looking.... :confused:

Keep an eye out, a lot of deals to be had. In particular, follow slickdeals.net as well as the "Deals of the day" subforum here on tonymacx86.

Vendetta said:
Keep an eye out, a lot of deals to be had. In particular, follow slickdeals.net as well as the "Deals of the day" subforum here on tonymacx86.
Vendetta, what's slickdeals.net? Anyhow, I'm keeping my eye on the ball, and checking any deals coming to my inbox from either newegg or amazon. Thanks.

P.S.
I joined "slickdeals", but I don't understand how it can help me. o_O

orestesdd said:
Vendetta said:
Vendetta, what's slickdeals.net? Anyhow, I'm keeping my eye on the ball, and checking any deals coming to my inbox from either newegg or amazon. Thanks.

P.S.
I joined "slickdeals", but I don't understand how it can help me. o_O

No need to join (although not a problem if you did). Just watch that main page as well as the section on the right titled "Popular Deals". It's essentially a forum where people post really good deals they find, which could be for anything. However, since it's all essentially generated by people that are the computer a lot, you get a lot of deals for tools and electronics, especially computer parts.

Just keep an eye on those front page deals. I find it easier to look at it as a "list" or "simple" view, which you'll see the option for above the listed deals. If you look today, you'll see it right below the picture of the glasses on the top of the page.

When you see a deal that interests you, click on it, and then it will show you the details of the deal and how to go about getting the deal, which usually just involves punching in a promotion code that they'll provide for you.

I've done this for awhile and have saved a lot of money on a number of products, primarily computer parts for my build. There aren't deals relevant to you everyday, but there will be a good number of deals over the course of a few weeks, so it's good to keep an eye out and act as soon as you see one.

Let me know if you have more questions.

Thanks, Vendetta. I will take a look at least once a day.

Purchased Parts: (as of 06/04/2012)

• - items arrived
  • HEATSINK: Cooler Master Hyper 212 Plus (@AMAZON - arrived!)[/*:m:7mh2mpes]
  • SPEAKERS: Creative GigaWorks T20 Series II 2.0 (@AMAZON - arrived!)[/*:m:7mh2mpes]
  • MISC: PC MISC. STUFF (@AMAZON - arrived!)[/*:m:7mh2mpes]
  • MONITOR: ViewSonic VX2250WM-LED 22-Inch (@AMAZON - arrived!)[/*:m:7mh2mpes]
  • CASE: CORSAIR Obsidian 650D (@AMAZON - arrived!)[/*:m:7mh2mpes]
  • MOBO: GIGABYTE GA-Z68X-UD3H-B3 LGA 1155 (@AMAZON- arrived!)[/*:m:7mh2mpes]
  • DVD: Sony Optiarc 24X DVD Burner (@AMAZON- arrived!!)[/*:m:7mh2mpes]
  • RAM: Corsair 16 GB Vengeance Blue
    Low Profile 1600mhz PC3-12800 240-pin
    Dual Channel DDR3 (@AMAZON- arrived!)[/*:m:7mh2mpes]
  • GPU: XFX Double D HD-687A-ZDFC Radeon HD 6870 (@NEWEGG- arrived!)

- waiting for arrival...
    [/*:m:7mh2mpes]
  • CPU: Intel Core i5-2500K (@AMAZON - shipped!)[/*:m:7mh2mpes]
  • SSD: Crucial 128 GB m4 2.5-Inch SSD SATA 6Gb/s CT128M4SSD2 (@AMAZON - shipped!)

- waiting for shipping...
    - purchased as of 06/10/2012:[/*:m:7mh2mpes]
  • PSU: CORSAIR AX650 80 Plus Gold (@AMAZON)
    - purchased as of 06/13/2012:[/*:m:7mh2mpes]
  • HDD: Seagate Barracuda 7200 1 TB 7200RPM SATA 6 Gb/s (Model ST1000DM003)[/*:m:7mh2mpes]

Now I am just waiting for delivery and this ends all purchases. I want to install Windows first to make sure that the build works, and then I will remove Windows completely to install Mac OS X 10.6.3 with an Apple retail DVD, which I bought a while back.

I should hopefully finish this thread in a couple of weeks to start another thread with question regarding the build and the OS install. Thanks.

orestesdd said:
Purchased Parts: (as of 06/04/2012)
  • HEATSINK: Cooler Master Hyper 212 Plus $27 (@AMAZON)[/*:m:hemm2xat]
  • MONITOR: ViewSonic VX2250WM-LED 22-Inch $150.00 (@AMAZON)[/*:m:hemm2xat]
  • SPEAKERS: Creative GigaWorks T20 Series II 2.0 $65 (@AMAZON)[/*:m:hemm2xat]
  • CASE: CORSAIR Obsidian 650D $164 (@AMAZON)[/*:m:hemm2xat]
  • MISC: PC MISC. STUFF $28 (@AMAZON)[/*:m:hemm2xat]

Parts to be bought:

• -@AMAZON:
  • 01-OS: MS Windows 7 Pro Sys Builder[/*:m:hemm2xat]
  • 02-CPU: Intel Core i5-2500K [/*:m:hemm2xat]
  • 03-MOBO: GIGABYTE GA-Z68X-UD3H-B3 LGA 1155[/*:m:hemm2xat]
  • 04-PSU: CORSAIR TX650 [/*:m:hemm2xat]
  • 05-SSD: Yet to decide what to buy a 120GB SSD[/*:m:hemm2xat]
  • 06-HDD: Seagate Barracuda 7200 1 TB 7200RPM (Model ST1000DM003)[/*:m:hemm2xat]
  • 07-RAM: CORSAIR Vengeance 16GB DDR3 1600 (PC3 128000)[/*:m:hemm2xat]
  • 08-DVD: Sony Optiarc 24X DVD Burner
    -@NEWEGG:[/*:m:hemm2xat]
  • 09-VCARD: XFX Double D HD-687A-ZDFC Radeon HD 6870 [/*:m:hemm2xat]

Now I'll have to wait now a bit, for the rest of the parts will need to be bought all together in one single purchase. I am just waiting to see if Windows goes down in price. I want ton install Windows first to make sure that the build works, and then I will remove Windows completely to install Mac OS X 10.6.3, an Apple retail DVD.

I should hopefully finish this thread in a couple of weeks to start another thread with question regarding the build and the OS install. Thanks.

P.S. Question: where do I place any question regarding my actual hardware build? For instance, what front panel audio header to use? HD or AC'97 audio? (See mobo listed above).

Seems like an expensive way to test the machine. :lol:

Vendetta said:
orestesdd said:
P.S. Question: where do I place any question regarding my actual hardware build? For instance, what front panel audio header to use? HD or AC'97 audio? (See mobo listed above).

Seems like an expensive way to test the machine. :lol:

So what forum do I go to ask questions when I get stuck with the hardware installation or the software road blocks if any?

Hardware problems is generally (LOL) posted in General Tuning, but you can probably continue here since several of us have subscribed to your thread.

OS X installation problems go in either 10.6 or 10.7 Support forum sections.

Good luck! Take your time. Print out the guides and use them as a check list.

Thank you, Stork. I will do that.

Package opening from amazon:

7170931563_0cc4094530_m.jpg

7170931665_e861bdbf12_m.jpg

7170931837_3cd24748da_m.jpg

7356145944_796439d4cb_m.jpg

7170931505_e86b5de03a_m.jpg

Other pictures will be here as parts start arriving. Thanks.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back