Graphics
NVIDIA GTX460
Mac
  1. Mac Pro
Classic Mac
  1. 0
Mobile Phone
  1. 0
I built a 10.7 Lion customac in 2011 and it's worked very well since then. Just took the plunge to finally update from 10.7 to El Capitan 10.11 and just wanted to post my build / results for anybody with a similar rig, cause I did get frustrated for a short while and this community is so awesome, but does take time to sort through to find the right answers.

I'll try to be as detailed as possible, but like everyone, will probably miss a minute part or two.

Customac components:
Gigabyte Z68X-UD3H-B3 rev1.3 UEFI .U1L
Intel Sandy Bridge i7 2600K 3.4 GHz non-overclocked
16 GB Corsair Vengence RAM (only 1 4GB stick used during install process)
NVIDIA GTX 460
SanDisk Extreme 240 SSD
Apple Broadcom wifi laptop chip slapped into PCI 1x adapter

Install:
Used 16GB SD card with USB 3.0 SD card reader as my install thumb drive (but always plugged to USB 2.0 port)

Step 1:
Updated Mobo to UEFI bios from F8 bios. Current bios now: Gigabyte U1L

2:
Create USB install drive. Options = El Capitan, UEFI Clover Bootloader, Inject NVIDIA

3:
Set options like Tony 10.11 guide says in UEFI bios
Boot from thumb drive to Clover

4:
This screwed me up, and the answer was there all along, just didn't know how to ask right away. I had to use bootflag cpus=1 to get the install to proceed and not freeze then reboot on the logo loader bar screen. This was absolutely mentioned in the "Big List of Solutions for El Capitan Install Problems" but just took me a bit long to finally find cause I've been out the game.

5:
Did everything else according to Tony 10.11 guide. Used CloverALC110 script (vs. RealtekALC script) which enabled my Realtek 889, (though I did have to go to settings -> sound and choose the correct (internal) output device).

Frankly my "guide" is premature as I've not done every update, checked all functions etc. but I'll update this thread with those results asap.

Last edited:
I'm looking forward to how things go for you before i take the plunge.

Same MB, but have an i5-3570k

Hi.
I have similar components as you and a perfect 10.8.5 ML system running. However i want to upgrade to 10.11 but have the "old" BIOS and not UEFI...

What does happen if i upgrade to UEFI - is my 10.8.5 system still OK? (i don´t want to **** up ML till 10.11 is perfectly running)

Is everything working for you on 10.11?

Similar hardware, see my profile. But finally got El Capitan running. Here are my steps:

1. Remove Chimera on existing Yosemite installation. Guide is in the basics section.
2. Make USB-Stick with UEFI clover and El Capitan-Installation using the El Capitan guide in this forum.
3. Flash BIOS to U1L UEFI.
4. Kernel panic on boot with USB-Stick. Solution was "cpus=1".
5. Install El Capitan over Yosemite. Reboot and start from USB-Stick. Don't forget "cpus=1" again.
6. Do Post Installation. See guide. Reboot.
7. Next kernel panic was a problem with CalDigitUSBxHCI.kext.
8. Boot again and in clover parameters:
Boot options: dark=0 cpus=1
Ignore kext: CalDigitUSBxHCI.kext
9. Deinstall CalDigit-kext via a deinstallation tool. There ist a thread in the forum. Search for CalDigit.
10. For fixing cpus=1: Install NullCPUPowerManagement.kext via KextBeast into S/L/E

Now it's running.
Don't know if you need to flash to UEFI. After Flashing your Yosemite/ML backup may not boot anymore. So if you want to be save your backup is booting, first try legacy BIOS.

Hi.
I have similar components as you and a perfect 10.8.5 ML system running. However i want to upgrade to 10.11 but have the "old" BIOS and not UEFI...

What does happen if i upgrade to UEFI - is my 10.8.5 system still OK? (i don´t want to **** up ML till 10.11 is perfectly running)

Is everything working for you on 10.11?

I have just updated to UEFI (you need a DOS USB flashdrive for that by the way [or maybe a 32b Windows, but 64b doesn't work]).
Now I get a kernel panic right away if I boot my Mavericks chameleon regular system.

I am going to try a clean install of El Cap
- then migrate my Mavericks data
- then see if there is a way to make my El Cap working on fusion drive.

The only diff in my build is that I have a nvidia GF 560ti but I guess that shouldn't be a problem.

@ zarni: Thank you very much for your little tutorial. i will try it out with legacy method --- i don´t want to ****up my ML install on Bios...

Hi CParm,
Thank you for the steps,
I did all the same + have installed clover boot loader on my HDD but I have two problems :

1) I can only boot my new OS X.11 system if I boot from the USB OS X installer and add arg : cpus=1

if :
- I don't use cpus=1
- I boot Clover from my HDD (same Clover version) without cpus=1
- I boot Clover from my HDD (same Clover version) with cpus=1
then in all these 3 case, my computer reboots when the apple loading bar is around 40%

2)
when I'm on my fresh OS X.11 system, I only have one Core running (I guess because of the cpus=1 boot arg), and my Geekbench score shows that my CPU is super slow :
my computer (i7 2600K @3,4GHz) score:
single core=1015 multi core=1129
http://browser.primatelabs.com/geekbench3/3877980

other people scores :
single core=3000 multi core=10000
http://browser.primatelabs.com/geekbench3/search?q=2600k

Do you have the same issues ? do you know how to run you computer with 4 cores ?
Thank you.

::edit::
after my first question, I answer myself :
having for drives, Fusion Drive and 3 EFI partition, I have put my config.plist in the wrong EFIpartition and that was why I couldn't boot from the Clover that was not on my USB flashdrive.

Is the board used by the op the same board I am using. Just trying to determine if it is possible for my board to support and osx system?

So, if I were to attempt to switch my system to UEFI and go the same route as the OP, How do I put the boot flag to cpus1? I have no clue where this is? Can Anyone tell me what this is? I've been searching and everyone talks about boot flags but not how to change that.

For boot arguments, see the big list of solutions.

If you want to get off cpus=1, try installing NullCPUPowerManagement.kext, or generating and installing an SSDT for your CPU with ssdtPRGen.sh. As you note, you're limited to one core and lousy performance with cpus=1. It's just a workaround until you can get into the system and go one of those other routes.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back