Contribute
Register

[ SUCCESS!!! ] El Capitan on GA-Z97X-UD5H-BK / i7-4790k / 16GB RAM / GTX 970 / 10.11.1

Status
Not open for further replies.

H94

Motherboard
Gigabyte GA-Z97X-UD5H-BK
CPU
i7-4790K
Graphics
GTX 970
Mac
  1. MacBook Pro
Mobile Phone
  1. Android
  2. iOS
[ SUCCESS!!! ] El Capitan on GA-Z97X-UD5H-BK / i7-4790k / 16GB RAM / GTX 970 / 10.11.1(10.11.6 updated)

El Capitan.png

Specs:

GA-Z97X-UD5H-BK (rev1.1 on F8 bios)

i7-4790K (4.6GHz by bios)

Corsair Vengeance DDR3 1600MHz 8GB x 2

GTX 970

BIOS settings:

2016-05-16 19.55.06.jpg
2016-05-16 19.55.15.jpg
2016-05-16 19.55.39.jpg

Comments:

My 8GB USB does not have enough space for the installer and it will cause problems. I would recommend a 16GB USB for the installer and research for every piece of software required including MultiBeast, Clover Configurator and Nvidia web driver BEFORE the installation.

You MUST check if there is supported graphics driver released. 10.11.2 was released a day after mine and 10.11.1 was not available from Apps Store anymore. Meanwhile, the Nvidia web driver was not yet released.

Make sure your motherboard is on the up to date BIOS (F8 at the moment)

Bootable USB & Installation:

Just create a UniBeast bootable USB as usual in UEFI, boot into it with "nv_disable=1" without quote(only if you have specific Nvidia GPU like me). Install in a free partition as usual.

Post Installation and Configuration:

First boot with "nv_disable=1" once more to setup everything. Use MultiBeast to install required stuff, configuration here:

Screen Shot 2015-12-09 at 7.20.08 PM.png
before you restart, install the decent Nvidia web driver if you have specific Nvidia GPU, it should automatically add "nvda_drv=1" into your Clover config and require you to restart the machine.

DisplayPort 1.2 display might require re-plug after every boot so set it to DP1.1 if DP1.2 isn't necessary.

You can use Clover Configurator to confirm that. Other SMBIOS wasn't tested but "Mac Pro 3,1" works.

One More Thing:

If you use an SSD, try "sudo trimforce enable" in terminal to enable TRIM support.

You can also customize some boot option(theme, timeout, etc) via Clover configuration

Update(10.11.2 - 10.11.6)

**Search and make sure there's a new driver before updating OS X.

If your installation media is on a newer version of OS X, just use the right Nvidia web driver. If you are like me from older versions, here is the step.
1. Install the 10.11.x update
2. Boot with "nv_disable=1"
3. Install the new Nvidia driver
4. Reboot with the "nvda_drv=1"
5. Enjoy

Edited(7/22/2016)

Be careful with 10.11.6, I had a hard time getting audio to work.
It is very tricky on this version. I tried many different ALC1150 kext to make it works.
Remember to make a full disk backup before upgrading to 10.11.6.
It will come in handy when you screwed up something or you need the stock AppleHDA back.

Last edited:
Thank you, i have the same configuration, can you show some clover configuration info?

Thank you, i have the same configuration, can you show some clover configuration info?

I didn't change much of the thing in it. My DisplayPort requires re-plug on every boot or it will stay black on the connected display but the system detected it.

If you just want it ,here you go. [View attachment config.plist]

can I use dvi port instead of displayport?

can I use dvi port instead of displayport?

I just mean that I have some small problems with display port. Of course others port works properly. I have been using HDMI port for my second display.

Never tested DVI but it should work(try to re-plug the cable if you get a black screen right after boot)

Is USB 3 working in your system? If Yes how did u fix it?

Is USB 3 working in your system? If Yes how did u fix it?

It does work, the "USB 3.0 Bus" shows under "USB Device Tree" and my SanDisk EXtreme USB gets it's 200MB/s read.

I don't know why did you ask because I didn't modify anything about USB. Make sure you have the same motherboard and F8 Bios. Check your motherboard version(on the corner of the board), I have heard that some rev1.2 board doesn't work that well for OS X but I am on rev1.1.

The last thing to mention is the "XHCI Mode" in Bios MUST be auto instead of smart auto.

Reference my Clover config file if you think that is helpful at all.

are you able to get the 10.11.4 ,
i am on 10.10.5, you like to jump to 10.11.4

I am able to get 10.11.4, same update procedure as above.
I also made a 10.11.4 Unibeast USB, it boots into the installer and everything seems the same as before.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back