Graphics
no graphics card - using onboard graphics
Mac
  1. 0
Classic Mac
  1. 0
Mobile Phone
  1. 0
I just successfully resuscitated an older DIY PC and was able to put El Capitan on it and figured I would document it in case it was helpful to anyone.

Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-EP45-UD3P
CPU: Intel Core 2 Quad 2.66GHz
Graphics card: PNY GeForce 8500GT DDR2 512MB PCIe

Here's how it was done:

This motherboard uses the AWARD BIOS. I tweaked the BIOS first using Optimized Settings, then made these changes:

•Integrated Peripherals page > SATA RAID/AHCI mode > set to AHCI
•Integrated Peripherals page > Onboard SATA/IDE Ctrl Mode > set to AHCI
•Integrated Peripherals page > USB Keyboard Function > enable (this allows a Mac USB keyboard to work)
•Integrated Peripherals page > USB Mouse Function > enable (this allows a Mac mouse to work)
•Power Management Setup page > HPET Mode > set to 64-bit
•There are some other ones you can play with, such as setting your boot drive, etc., but I don't think anything else besides what's mentioned above is crucial to the Hackintosh install.

Then I used UniBeast in Legacy mode to create the El Capitan installer (specific instructions are here: http://www.tonymacx86.com/el-capita...-el-capitan-any-supported-intel-based-pc.html)

I did encounter several issues getting stuck at "Verifying DMI Pool Data" on boot, but these all ended up being related to the graphics card, so I had to edit Clover to add the boot argument nv_disable=1 (details are here: http://www.tonymacx86.com/el-capita...st-solutions-el-capitan-install-problems.html) After a lot of trial and error and finally concluding it's nv_disable that wasn't letting it boot, I followed the instructions to mount the EFI partition and permanently modify the prefs to include nv_disable=1.

Once that was done, it worked fine. I followed up post-installation with MultiBeast and asked it to install the Nvidia drivers, however, this doesn't appear to make any difference. I have limited graphics options (I see it stretched when I connect it to my 1080p TV, and no other resolution options appear in System Prefs > Displays).

I only need this computer for select minor tasks, so I haven't fully debugged all its various elements (sound, iMessage, full graphics support), but I can confirm that Ethernet works fine, and it boots properly.

Good luck!

I also have a EP45-UD3P that ran Mountain Lion, Mavericks and Yosemite flawlessly. Any time I try to use Clover, I have ZERO success. I installed El Capitan using Unibeast and then ran Multibeast. I can boot into a FULLY WORKING El Capitan using the USB drive, but when I try booting from the hard drive, I get the following kernel panic. Can someone please tell me what is causing this kernel panic?

Attachments

• 2016-05-18 21.02.13.jpg
    2016-05-18 21.02.13.jpg
    2.9 MB · Views: 623
Not sure. I'm a layperson with Hackintoshes so may not be of much help. But looking at the log, it looks like either something USB or Firewire is tripping it up. You might try going into the BIOS and checking if there are any options with the USB handling...

(Again, I'm an amateur.) Just to clarify, when you say "booting from the USB works fine" you're actually using a full installation of El Cap on the USB stick? (As opposed to the El Capitan installer -- most of us use Unibeast to create an El Capitan installer USB stick to get the installation done.)

But if you've actually got the full El Capitan installed on your flash drive, and you can boot the PC from this, then the problem must be whatever differentiates the flash drive from the hard drive. My guess is something in the Clover settings. Why don't you mount the EFI portion of both drives (the flash drive and the hard drive) and compare the config file and see if you notice any differences.

Just a stab in the dark...

(Again, I'm an amateur.) Just to clarify, when you say "booting from the USB works fine" you're actually using a full installation of El Cap on the USB stick? (As opposed to the El Capitan installer -- most of us use Unibeast to create an El Capitan installer USB stick to get the installation done.)

But if you've actually got the full El Capitan installed on your flash drive, and you can boot the PC from this, then the problem must be whatever differentiates the flash drive from the hard drive. My guess is something in the Clover settings. Why don't you mount the EFI portion of both drives (the flash drive and the hard drive) and compare the config file and see if you notice any differences.

Just a stab in the dark...

I used Unibeast, installed El Capitan to the hard drive, ran Multibeast and tried to boot from hard drive...got the kernel panic. BUT, if I BOOT the computer using the thumb drive, then select the hard drive to boot from, it boots into the OS and runs just fine. I'll give your idea a try.

Hey OP,
thank you for your instructions, they were very helpful. I have the same motherboard and everything works fine except audio. In Multibeast I selected the Realtek ALC885-889a (this motherboard has 889a codec). I am experiencing dropouts and interruptions in the sound both from built-in internal speaker as from my external usb sound card. Can you check what audio kext drivers you have installed? You didn't experience any troubles with audio?

Thank you for your answer :)

Unfortunately, I didn't keep this computer and I ended up selling it, so I can't be of any further help. I never tried to get sound running on it so have no idea...

It seems really strange to me that an external USB sound card would also have dropouts. Very strange.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back