I7-9700K
Graphics
VEGA 64
Mac
  1. iMac
  2. MacBook Pro
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
So, finally El Capitan arrived on my desktop pc !

A mountain lion was installed and I needed new Xcode so I had to spend time on a rebuild. My hardware is still fine, and practically there is no reason to upgrade. Here is how I did it.

First the hardware:
- Gigabyte Z68AP-D3 board
- Intel core i7- 2600 @3.4 Ghz i think this is sandy bridge
- 2 times a NVIDIA GeForce GTX 660 Ti 2048 MB
- 16 GB 1600 MHz DDR3
- 3 times a Dell DELL U2713HM Display. More is better here :)

Before starting the whole process, make sure you have time and buy a new hard disk to do a new fresh installation. That way you can roll back.

First I had to upgrade my BIOS to UEFI, mostly because I had to turn off some settings. I was lucky gigabyte provided an uefi bios for my board: UA9(UEFI BIOS). so download it, spend time on creating an ms dos formatted usb stick, put the bios on it via dd, and boot from that usb, It took me some time to get that right. Where is the old time we just had floppies.

I had to make the following settings to the bios:
- enable AHCI
- put it to boot via UEFI only. I tried booting in dual mode, that failed because of different reasons, so not sure if this is really required, but it does the trick after all.
- Disable CPU EIST (Intel Speedstep Technology), that was needed during install, not sure if it can be enabled now
- Disable VT-d, that was needed during install (due to: p state stepper error 18 at step 2), not sure if it can be enabled now

run Unibeast 6.0.1 and prep a usb hard disk. I had to format it to 20 GB, because the full disk was not accepted somehow.
Select el capitan and UEFI, nothing else is needed.

Than I removed my second NVIDIA 660 card, not sure if that is needed now, but I remembered I had to do that on my previous build.

Take the time to install it via USB, select that in BIOS or at boot. Make sure to run it in verbose mode (press space when booting), so you can follow whats happening. Also I had to set a boot option nv_disable=1, don't forget that.

All fine, make sure it reboots via usb and run post-installation tools to make it bootable via UEFI. After that download the clover-configurator. Mount the EFI portion via that tool, and open the master config file, located in EFI/clover/config.plist After that go to the SMBIOS section and choose MacPro3,1 via the magic wand icon. In RT Variables I set BooterConfig to 0x28 and CsrActiveConfig to 0x67. This makes your whole system hackable, but also enables future changes to kexts yourself. I needed to this in order to install Audio via Toleda tools. Now you should be able to boot without USB and directly from your hard disk.

When all is done and working fine and seeing two displays working you can insert the second graphics card and your third or fourth display should come alive.

Now I am trying to get audio working. For that I downloaded https://github.com/toleda/audio_CloverALC and installed ALC889 on port 1. In system sound settings enable audio via Line Out, and I can see that the volume bar is enabled, but still no sound. Going to play a bit with Device settings in the Clover Configurator.

Ill let you know if this succeeds. I had it working on my mountain lion but with old kexts, so it was possible.

edit: 30 mins later

Working Audio, pretty simple, RTFM
reinstalled alc 889 audio on port 2 via audio_clover and select internal speakers in the sound configuration of OS X settings to have sound from mono on the green port.

Pieter

Last edited:
Do you have the rev2 or rev1 Z68 board? There doesn't appear to be a UEFI Bios for the rev 1.on Gigabyte website, but some have reported experimental versions that don't allow overclocking :problem:
Even so, I have installed El Cap with similar success with the F8 bios.
One thing I found is, and you may find it helpful, I had no success with audio_CloverALC until I did the 10.10.1 update now I have fully functional audio.
Also, on previous builds I always had to use nullcpupowermanagement.kext as I overclock my board, I have successfully patched SSDT to handle power management now :thumbup:
The only piece to the jigsaw for me now is USB3 as the support for the Etron EJ168 is patchy, I couldn't even boot with it enabled, although some have had success.
I think I'll stump up the cash for this PCIe card as Rehabman has reported it working OOB on 6 series motherboard;
http://www.tonymacx86.com/el-capitan-desktop-support/174489-usb-3-0-pcie-cards-work-oob-el-cap.html
Product info;
http://www.inateck.com/5-plus-2-port-usb-pci-express-card-ktu3fr-5o2i/

hi , i need some help i m not able to install el capitan 10.11 on Gigabyte Z69AP-D3 , GT 520 , , i never use clover , my usb installer is ok but the install stop and reboot i think my bios settings are nok i got f12 , please you got the same mobo give a hand, thanks

Attachments

• 20151227_204532(0).jpg
    20151227_204532(0).jpg
    993.7 KB · Views: 275
I really had to use the ua9 uefi experimental bios, mainly because i had to disable some bios settings. I had to create a usb stick to upgrade it, the bios upgrade via the bios menu does not work.

I had to make the following settings to the bios:
- enable AHCI
- put it to boot via UEFI only. I tried booting in dual mode, that failed because of different reasons, so not sure if this is really required, but it does the trick after all.
- Disable CPU EIST (Intel Speedstep Technology), that was needed during install, not sure if it can be enabled now
- Disable VT-d, that was needed during install (due to: p state stepper error 18 at step 2), not sure if it can be enabled now

suc6

i got rev 2.0 with fb bios and i cant reach the installation can you give me a hand

I already install el capitan 10.11.2 on my ga z68ap d3 rev2.0 , i7 3400 , gt 520 with eufi .I used unibeast uefi just i have to boot with cpus 1 , install good i used multibeast 8.01 , select quick start uefi boot mode , audio realtek alc 889 and ssdt for i7 sandy bridge reboot all good then installed All-in-one kext for Realtek Wireless USB. for my asus n11 nano usb wifi and works . my problem is sleep , when goes to sleep usb ports stop working only npower light and fan running and can t wake i have to shtdown with the poer button. i m not familiarwith clover can some give a hand to get my sleep working .thanks

Attachments

• bootlog.log.txt
    17.5 KB · Views: 236
  • config-generate.plist
    4.7 KB · Views: 316
i also had problems with sleep, but in my case sound was broken after deep sleep.

i changed smbios frim the standard macmini 3.1 to imac 14.1 and that solved the issue.

with clover-configurator it can be done easily.

Since chameleon always my system is mac pro 3.1 just once i changed with multibeast but couldn t boot . I will try to do it with clover configurator but don t know how to do it and don t know it ll works

clean install and realized the software for my wifi brakes my sleep it s all in one for realtek for el capitan , and i started to use the ethernet wich works good but now i realized that the sound syops after sleep .
What annoying this el capitan install , before this all was easy ,,,....,

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back