Status
Not open for further replies.
Motherboard
ga-z270x-Gaming 5
CPU
i7-7700K
Graphics
EVGA GTX 1060 SSC
I have always used chimera and didn’t know up from down when it came to clover. I Was running a Yosemite/Clover Install with no problems. One day this past week while strolling through TM, I came across a post on setting up a clover “test” usb. It said you could try out clover to see how your system would function without repercussion. If you come across that thread be very cautious. Long story short, to no fault of my own, the test usb completely ruined my install and I had to do an entire system wash. That being said, Clover and I got real intimate this past weekend and this “guide”, if that’s what you want to call it, is the result. I hope it helps someone.

HARDWARE
MotherBoard GA-Z68x-UD3H-B3
CPU i7-2600K
Graphics XFX Double D 6870
Memory 16GB 2133

UPGRADING BIOS TO UEFI
Since I had to completely redo everything I thought this would be a good time to get completely upgraded. Previously I was using the F10 BIOS. I upgraded to U1l, which is UEFI. If you’re in this situation let me save you some time; You can’t update your BIOS to UEFI with QFlash. You have to create a Bootable DOS USB and add Gigabyte's Flash Utility to it. You can achieve this with FreeDOS or windows. Gigabyte's tutorial was written in the 80’s and pretty much worthless. Here are some links that helped me out:

Upgrading 6 series BIOS to UEFI
MAcMan: Creating Bootable DOS USB

[highlight]***Note:[/highlight] Im not sure if you’ll have this issue, but my board immediately started updating bios on boot. I didn’t click or type anything. If this is the case for you, just chill, no need to **** yourself like i did. ;)

TONY’S 10.11 INSTALL GUIDE
http://www.tonymacx86.com/el-capita...-el-capitan-any-supported-intel-based-pc.html

Below are the sections of Tony’s Guide.
If I had to do something differently I added what I did below the steps.

STEP 1: DOWNLOAD EL CAPITAN

STEP 2: CREATING USB
• Create Unibeast El Capitan USB Drive​
• Replace EFI/Clover/Config.plist on USB with STANDARD Config.plist NOT ati or Nvidia​
• Put one of each kext into into EFI/Clover/Kexts/Other​
• Delete all other folders except Other​

STEP 3: BIOS SETTINGS
• Load Optimized Defaults​
• CPU-EIST = Disabled​
• VT-D (VMM) = Disabled​
• XMP Profile = 1​
• Hard Drives = AHCI​
• Boot Mode = UEFI Only​
• OS Type = Other OS​

STEP 4: INSTALL EL CAPITAN

STEP 5: POST INSTALL
• Download and RUN El Capitan Post Install Tools​
• Added following kexts to El Capitan/Library/Extentions​
FakeSMC.kext​
AppleIntelE1000.kext​
Atheros2200Ethernet.kext​
RealtekRTL8111.kext​

[highlight]• RESTART **IMPORTANT**[/highlight]​

• Download Clover Configurator (to edit Sys Definition, Graphics, Serial #)
Open EFI:EFI/Clover/Config.plist​
SMBIOS - Click Magic Wand​
Find Processer @ Everymac.com (mine is Imac 12,2)​
RTVariables = 0x67 to Fully disable SIP (Still not sure if this did the trick or not)​
Save​
Close​

• Download CloverALC110Script​
Run​
Options: Yes, Yes, 1 Yes, Close​
• RESTART​

FIXING HWMONITOR
Below are some additional steps I to get HWMonitor working:
• Download HWSensors Binary From hwSensors.com​
• Download EFI Mounter v3 From TonyMac​
• Mount EFI​
• Move All Kexts from DMG (Except FakeSMC) to EFI/EFI/CLOVER/Kexts/10.11​
• Move HWMonitor to Applications​
• Restart​

CONCLUSION
After many many hours of despair, hope, anger and adulation I finally had a stable Clover/El Capitan System. I hope this saves someone a weekend.

Happy Hacking ;)

The USB3 work well?

What about sleep and wake?

I installed elcapitan with legacy F12 bios. (audio not patched due to usb sound card, works well)

USB3 ports are not showing connected devices in finder/disk util.
Although in sys-info i can see the usb3 devices and their properties.:crazy:

Hi and thx for this guide.

I have almost the same config as you.

I followed your guide and everything is working except i lost one front usb port and no usb 2 works on usb 3 port after the post installation tools al usb ports was working before I installed anything on it.

Do you have any problems with usb?

And have you Ati injection in clover? Mine shows up as AMD Radeon HD 6xxx 1024 MB
and wonder if i should do that?

Thx again.

can you elaborate on a couple of things please?

How do you get these kexts? do you run multibeast for Yosemite?

STEP 5: POST INSTALL
• Download and RUN El Capitan Post Install Tools​
• Added following kexts to El Capitan/Library/Extentions​
FakeSMC.kext​
AppleIntelE1000.kext​
Atheros2200Ethernet.kext​
RealtekRTL8111.kext​

is there a special way to mount the EFI partition. Previous tries i don't seem to see it

• Download Clover Configurator (to edit Sys Definition, Graphics, Serial #)
Open EFI:EFI/Clover/Config.plist​
SMBIOS - Click Magic Wand​
Find Processer @ Everymac.com (mine is Imac 12,2)​
RTVariables = 0x67 to Fully disable SIP (Still not sure if this did the trick or not)​
Save​
Close​

thanks

This is good to know and a great guide. I have the same board and an i5 2500 processor. I'm still on Mavericks which is working perfect for my needs, but I am a little concerned getting too far away from the upgrades.

Skipping just one OS update and I missed this switch from Chimera to Clover!?!

Tried using unibeat to update my still legacy board and I can't get to the installer. Probably will have to do an update to the bios to do this right. Shame -- things are working as well right now.

Thanks for your guide, will try it too on my system.

One question though, which clover installer did you use from clover post install tools?
Clover_v2.3k_r3320-UEFI.pkg or Clover_v2.3k_r3320-Legacy.pkg?

I am sure he dont have working sleep mode. Because for now i dont see any fixes for radeon 6870 sleep.

I've successfully installed El Capitan with this board but with F12 legacy BIOS. Using my old edited DSDT from Lion I have functioning HDMI audio, although correct channel mapping on Audio Midi only works if set to 192 kHz, otherwise I get funky incorrect output. This is for 24 bit 8 channel, mind you. It is fine for stereo. USB functionality is diminished to USB 2.0, and I get nothing out of the 3.0 ports. Other than that, everything seems to work.

Something to keep in mind: with this board there are some BIOS settings you MUST change to be able to boot. This wasn't immediately obvious to me. CPU EIST must be disabled. There is a setting to change boot to EFI, but it is under a menu for CD/DVD which is confusing. It MUST be set to EFI, even for a legacy bios based system. Also had to disable the USB 3.0 ports in BIOS to boot, hence the lack of functionality from those ports.

Once I got El Capitan installed, I had to manually remove the kext folders (except 10.11 and other) from the EFI partition. Also manually dropped in my DSDT and SSDT. Managed to change most stuff with Clover Configurator, but EFI partition must be mounted for it to work. This also wasn't immediately obvious to me.

Strangely, my eject button on my Apple keyboard will now open and close my Blu-Ray drive, without any alternative kext installation like I had to do in the past. Yay.

I'd like to get proper Audio Midi functionality at some point, if anyone has any ideas.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back