Contribute
Register

[SUCCESS] El Capitan 10.11.2 Clover | GA-Z97X-Gaming 7 | i7-4790K | GTX 750 Ti | Overclocked

Status
Not open for further replies.
Motherboard
GA-Z97X-Gaming 7
CPU
i7-4790K
Graphics
GTX 750 Ti | GTX 1060
Mac
  1. iMac
  2. MacBook Pro
  3. Mac mini
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
[SUCCESS] El Capitan 10.11.3 Clover | GA-Z97X-Gaming 7 | i7-4790K | GTX 750 Ti | Overclocked

Guides, References, Help, Credit:
Some, part, all, or none of these were used to get my install working:

1. http://www.tonymacx86.com/el-capita...-el-capitan-any-supported-intel-based-pc.html
  2. http://www.tonymacx86.com/downloads.php?do=cat&id=11
  3. https://github.com/JrCs/CloverGrowerPro/blob/master/Files/HFSPlus/X64/HFSPlus.efi
  4. http://sourceforge.net/projects/cloverefiboot/
  5. http://www.tonymacx86.com/audio/151504-no-audio-after-sleep-wake-realtek-alc-applehda-fixes.html
  6. http://www.tonymacx86.com/audio/170063-fix-no-sound-after-sleep-1150-possibly-other-realteks.html
  7. http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/298027-guide-aio-guides-for-hackintosh/
    1. Post 14
  8. https://selfsolve.apple.com/
  9. http://www.tonymacx86.com/hdmi-audio/145399-clover-hdmi-audio-nvidia-amd-cards-easy-way.html
  10. http://www.tonymacx86.com/graphics/...-after-nvidia-346-01-02f01-2.html#post1018420
  11. https://www.******.com/r/hackintosh/comments/3iad00/success_gigabyte_ga_z97x_gaming_7_4790k_gtx_970/
  12. https://www.******.com/r/hackintosh/comments/2wohwn/getting_imessage_working_on_10102_generating/
  13. http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/302347-clover-imessagefacetime-fix-for-yosemite/
  14. http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/303073-pattern-of-mlb-main-logic-board/
  15. http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/298027-guide-aio-guides-for-hackintosh/?st=0
  16. http://www.tonymacx86.com/network/104850-guide-airport-pcie-half-mini-v2.html

Hardware:

• Gigabyte GA-Z97X-Gaming 7
  • Intel i7-4790K
  • Corsair Vengeance 8Gb (2x4Gb) 1333MHz DDR3 (2400MHz XMP)
  • Corsair H100i Cooler
  • Corsair HX750i Power Supply
  • EVGA Nvidia GTX 750 Ti SC 2Gb
  • 2 x Acer G257HL 25” monitors
  • Samsung 850 EVO 250Gb SSD
  • Corsair Graphite 760T (Red) Case
  • Other hard drives that are disabled under my Hackintosh profile in the BIOS and enabled when I load my Windows profile

Bootloader:

• Clover v2.3K r3330
  • MacPro6,1

• Mac OS X El Capitan (10.11.3) only (No Other OS)
  • Windows 10 (separate hard drive disabled by BIOS profile)

Working:

• Audio with port detection and switching
  • Ethernet
  • USB 2.0/3.0
  • GPU with full Acceleration
  • iMessage/FaceTime/iCloud
  • Sleep/Wake
  • CPU Speed Stepping/Power Management
  • CPU/Memory Detection
  • Mac OS X/Windows Time Synchronization
  • Wifi and Bluetooth

Not Working:

• Audio over HDMI - I have dedicated speakers in the Line Out and headphones in the front, so I don’t really care about HDMI Audio, but it’d be nice to have

Updates:

• 1/28 - Overclock updates
  • 3/13 - Added WiFi and Bluetooth working, Updated for Multibeast 8.1
  • IMAGES NOT UPDATED

BIOS Settings:
Note 1: BIOS revision F8
Note 2: Load Optimized Defaults
Note 3: If you don’t see a setting, assume it is set to default
I did not change many settings from default. You can set VT-d to disabled if you wish, but the Clover bootloader issues the boot arg “dart=0” which does the same thing.

• BIOS Features
    • Fast Boot = Disabled
    • VT-d = Enabled
    • Windows 8 Features = Windows 8
    • CSM Support = Disabled
    • Network Stack = Disabled
    • Secure Boot = Enabled
    • Secure Boot Mode = Standard
  • Peripherals
    • Initial Display Output = PCIe 1 Slot
    • XHCI Mode = Smart Auto
    • Intel Processor Graphics = Disabled
    • Intel Rapid Start Technology = Disabled
    • Legacy USB Support = Enabled
    • XHCI Hand-off = Enabled
    • EHCI Hand-off = Disabled
    • Super IO Configuration
      • COMA = Disabled
    • Marvell SATA Controller Configuration
      • GSATA Controller = Disabled
  • Power Management
    • Soft-Off by PWR-BTTN = Instant Off
    • ErP = Disabled
    • Platform Power Management = Disabled
BIOS 3.jpgBIOS 4.jpgBIOS 5.jpgBIOS 6.jpgBIOS 7.jpg

Overclocking:
WARNING: Overclocking comes with inherent risk you must be willing to take
WARNING: DO NOT overclock to install. Overclock after the system is setup and stable at stock speeds. I repeat, DO NOT overclock to install.
WARNING: These are my settings and may not work for your hardware
Note 1: Only these settings were changed. If you don’t see a setting, assume it is set to default
Note 2: The BIOS settings are updated, but the photos are not

• CPU
    • Multiplier: x48
    • Cache Multiplier: x40
  • Memory
    • Multiplier: x24
    • Timings: 11-13-13-30-1T
  • Voltages
    • LLC and other calibrations set to “Extreme”
    • Vrin = 1.70V
    • Vcore = +0.05V offset
    • Vsa = Auto
    • Vddr = 1.65V
BIOS 8.jpgBIOS 9.jpgBIOS 10.jpgBIOS 11.jpgBIOS 1.jpgBIOS 2.jpg

Installing Mac OS X:
Note: Use reference 1 (Unibeast)

1. Step 2.15 – Select UEFI Boot Mode
  2. Step 2.16 – I did not select anything here
  3. Step 2.18 (after) – Mount the EFI partition on the USB drive if not mounted already
    1. Browse to ”/EFI/CLOVER/drivers64UEFI” then place HFSPlus.efi from reference 3 in there
    2. Browse to “/EFI/CLOVER/kexts/10.11” then place “FakeSMC.kext” and “AtherosE2200Ethernet.kext” from reference 2 in there
  4. Run the latest Clover installer from reference 4 and select the same EFI partition that was mounted in my step 3 with the following options:
    Clover Installer 1.pngClover Installer 2.png
  5. Step 3.x – See my BIOS config above, DO NOT overclock yet
  6. Step 4.4 – At Clover boot screen, arrow over to boot options and under boot args enter “nv_disable=1”
  7. Step 4.8 – Upon reboot, repeat Step 4.4 with “nv_disable=1” in boot args but select the new boot entry that appears instead of the USB installer
  8. Repeat my step 3.1 but this time mounting the system EFI partition, not the USB EFI partition (May not be necessary, but also doesn’t hurt)
  9. Step 5.7 – Select UEFI Boot Mode
  10. Step 5.8 – Do NOT select audio drivers as they will fail installation. Select FakeSMC and HWMonitor and Plugins. Select the Atheros e2200 network kext. Select the Intel 7/8/9 Series USB.
    Multibeast 1.pngMultibeast 2.pngMultibeast 3.png
  11. Step 5.9 – Select “Inject Nvidia”. Under System Definitions select “MacPro 3,1”
    Multibeast 4.pngMultibeast 5.pngMultibeast 6.png
  12. Step 5.12 – Install this package
  13. Step 5.13 – After reboot, do NOT modify boot args, just let the system boot normally
  14. Step 5.14 – Run Multibeast again but this time ignore steps 5.7, 5.9 and 5.10, only select “ALC1150” for Audio in step 5.8 and NOTHING else, then skip to step 5.11
  15. Reboot
  16. Repeat my step 4 but this time select the system EFI partition to update the system bootloader to the latest
  17. Reboot
Congratulations, you have a working Hackintosh with audio, Ethernet, Nvidia support, and USB 2.0/3.0.
About This Mac 1.pngAbout This Mac 2.pngAbout This Mac 3.pngAbout This Mac 4.pngSystem Information 1.pngGeekbench 1.png

Fix Sleep/Wake:
The Corsair H100i Cooler is not compatible with Mac OS X. You can use the cooler, but having it plugged into a USB port or header on the board will cause the computer to wake immediately after sleep. Only option is to unplug the USB for it. USB is not required for it to function as the fan profiles live on the microcontroller for the cooler, but it is required to use Corsair Link in Windows. Otherwise, sleep/wake works normally.

CPU/Memory Detection and Speed Stepping:
Note: I have not verified SSDT or even touched it in Clover so I cannot verify if PM and speed stepping is actually functioning correctly, however it appears as if it is working
This worked right away for me. About This Mac was able to read the base speed of the processor and memory and installed amount. However it did not detect my overclock settings. For this I had to edit my Clover config.plist using Clover Configurator to properly enter the values. System Information (System Report button on About This Mac) reports the correct speed, but the About This Mac is showing a slightly slower CPU with no effect on performance. Additionally iStat Menus and HWMonitor are not reporting correct voltages compared to my BIOS overclock settings, but again I don’t see any issues in performance. At idle they show Vcore ~0.084V but I believe this is off by a factor of 10 and at full load it does not show 1.26V which is my Vcore + offset. EIST, C1E, C3/C6 and any other Turbo/Speed Stepping is “Auto” and working for me with no intervention as HWMonitor and Intel Power Gadget show x8-x48 multipliers. I also had to edit my VRAM size in my config.plist otherwise About This Mac couldn’t read the amount of memory on my graphics card.
Clover Configurator 2.pngClover Configurator 4.pngClover Configurator 1.png

Fix No Audio After Sleep/Wake:
Note: This took a little bit to figure out because there are so many potential fixes listed in reference 6. I ended up using Fix 1.4 (reference 5) which provides the downloads I used

1. Download the codeccommander.kext that @tigersoul925 precompiled for the ALC1150
  2. Download KextBeast and install the above kext
  3. Make sure Internal Speakers and Internal Microphone are selected in System Preferences > Sound > Output/Input
  4. Reboot

Fix HDMI Audio:
Note: Use Reference 9

• Need to test this. I don’t use the speakers on my monitors as I have a 2.1 setup plugged into the Line Out in the back and Headphones in the front, but it’d be nice to get it working

Fix Time Synchronization/Offset:
Note 1: This only applies if dual booting Windows and Mac OS X
Note 2: Use Reference 7

• This guide worked and was really easy to follow. Change a registry setting in Windows and reboot.

Fix Black Screen/No Graphics After Boot:
Note: Use Reference 10
Note 2: Only do this fix if you plan to use definitions MacPro6,1 or iMac15,1

• This has to do with the fact the new MacPro6,1/iMac15,1 handle video and GPU slightly different. The Mac Pro unloads the first GPU which disables the ports. The iMac uses a different EDID for the 5K display.
  • Just modify the kext in the reference and rebuild the cache or reinstall the kext and reboot

Fix iMessage/FaceTime:
WARNING: This process has to be followed precisely. Failure to do so can result in anything including but not limited to a non-booting machine, a blacklisted machine that’s prevented from contacting any services from Apple, a blacklisted WAN IP address for your location, or a blacklisted Apple ID
Note: It might be safer to disconnect from the internet temporarily while you do this fix and verify it to avoid blacklisting the computer, your WAN IP, or your Apple ID

1. Open Clover Configurator
  2. Mount EFI
  3. Open /EFI/config.plist
  4. SMBIOS
    1. Click on the magic wand and select a Mac Pro. Select “MacPro6,1” in the upper left. On the two sections that say shake, click a few times to generate a Serial Number. Click ok
    2. Go to reference 8 and search for the Serial Number that was generated. If you get the following error message, that is good. It means you aren't using a Serial Number assigned to a real Mac. If you don't get the error, repeat step 4.a
      1. “We're sorry, the number you have provided cannot be found in our records. Please verify the number and try again, or contact us.”
    3. In the "Board Serial Number" field, paste in your Serial Number that was generated above and add the required additional characters at the end
      1. A machine with an 11 character S/N has a 13 character Board S/N (MLB)
        1. For a MacPro3,1 system, you will generate an 11 character S/N therefore you will only need to append 2 additional characters for your Board S/N (MLB)
      2. A machine with a 12 character S/N has a 17 character Board S/N (MLB)
        1. For a MacPro6,1 system, you will generate a 12 character S/N therefore you will only need to append 5 additional characters for your Board S/N (MLB)
    4. Open Terminal and run "uuidgen"
    5. Copy the UUID and paste it in the "SmUUID" field
      Clover Configurator 4.png
  5. Rt Variables
    1. The “ROM” value can be a string of 12 hexadecimal characters. Example: your Ethernet MAC address (without the “:”)
    2. Copy your “Board Serial Number” from the SMBIOS section and paste it in the “MLB” field
      Clover Configurator 3.png
  6. Export config.plist
  7. Disconnect from the internet and reboot a couple times each time verifying the S/N, ROM, MLB, and SmUUID values do not change
    1. Apple > About This Mac > System Report > Serial Number/Board Serial Number/Hardware UUID
      System Information 1.png
  8. Enter this command string into Terminal to clear any previous iMessage databases and account connection info. If it doesn't work, put sudo in front of the command and it will ask for your password:
    1. cd ~/Library/Caches/ && rm -R com.apple.Messages* && rm -R com.apple.imfoundation* && cd ~/Library/Preferences/ && rm com.apple.iChat* && rm com.apple.imagent* && rm com.apple.imessage* && rm com.apple.imservice* && rm -R ~/Library/Messages/
  9. Connect to the internet and sign into iMessage/FaceTime/iCloud

WiFi and Bluetooth:
Note: See Post 1617 and 1619 in Reference 16
Note 2: My solution is because of the bluetooth card I have, it may not work for you, but you should follow the reference guide
Note 3: The WiFi card must be in the first 1x PCIe slot or else it will not appear in System Profiler

• Used the reference guide. Step 2 for 10.11. I also had to install the BrcmBroadcomInjector.kext provided by RehabMan because my bluetooth is not supported by the BrcmPatchRAM.kext

Last edited:
Hey guys I have the same setup as you guys do but I'm running into some problems.

First when i try to finish installing El capitan i run into an error before restart. It says "the bless tool was unable to set the current boot disk."

Second when i restart the machine and try to boot it gets stuck on the usbmsc unidentified error.

I'm kinda stuck at this point not sure what to do.

You'll get more help posting a new thread in the El Capitan Desktop Support section, rather than here on a guide. The bless command does exactly what the error is telling you, for some reason it is unable to set the disk/volume as a bootable volume. I would recommend recreating your install media with the latest version of Unibeast, follow the El Capitan install guide posted by Tonymacx86 (also my first reference guide), and make sure you are using the latest Multibeast for post installation. If you have a clean disk with no other OS on it and follow the BIOS/UEFI setup in any number of posted guides, including my own, you should have no issues and have El Capitan running just fine.

You mention you have Windows 10 on a separate drive "Windows 10 (separate hard drive disabled by BIOS profile)"
I will be running windows 10 on a separate drive from el capitan. Do i have to do anything different in the el capitan install or is dual boot achieved just by turning one drive off and the other on in each bios profile?

Do i have to do anything different in the el capitan install or is dual boot achieved just by turning one drive off and the other on in each bios profile?

Nothing different in El Capitan install. disabling the SATA port in the BIOS is very similar to just physically unplugging the drive. El Capitan won't see that drive.

went ahead and upgraded the OS , been a while since I've tinkered with the new OS since I had a stable machine. Can't figure out for the life of me why I'm plagued with the sleep-restart after the computer goes to sleep. Iv'e looked at all sorts of fixes on the internet, has not helped. If anyone can lead me in the right path, trying to check why the GA_Z97X-Gaming 7 isn't sleeping and waking properly id sure appreciate it =)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back