i7-4790K
Graphics
RX 590
Mac
  1. iMac
  2. Mac mini
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
The following are the steps I took to get El Capitan running via direct update from the App Store (from Yosemite). I'm posting this after reading post #86 in the Big List of Solutions for El Capitan.

Working:
1) Wake from sleep
2) Audio after wake from sleep
3) Video card (though mine uses native OS X driver)
4) USB2
5) TimeMachine
6) App Store
7) FaceTime
9) iMessage
10) iCloud
11) USB3

Not Working:
1) USB3
2) iMessage (never got this going in Yosemite either)

Installation & Post Installation

I followed tonymacx86 Direct Update to OS X El Capitan Using Clover guide to the letter. No changes to config.plist (except the required partial disabling of SIP). I ran into a handful of problems and fixed them as follows.

Problem #1 - During step 6 my machine just froze :eek:. I tried to reboot but I got repeated kernel panics. So I then booted in safe mode and fortunately the installation completed.

Problem #2 - At step 8 the kernel panics returned and I thought this install was toast. I tried once more to boot in safe mode and voila, El Capitan was there :). So I searched around on this site, analyzed the kp and saw it was an audio problem. Plus I found a number of suggestions to make sure that only FakeSMC.kext is in EFI/clover/kexts/10.11. So I did the following which allowed it to boot normally:
  • deleted audio and ethernet kexts from EFI/clover/kexts/10.11.
  • deleted CodecCommander.kext from S/L/E (in Yosemite this system required solution in this guide to get audio after sleep).

Problem #3 - With El Capitan running, I needed to fix ethernet. I tried putting the ethernet kext into EFI/clover/kexts/10.11 but it didn't work. I cleared caches, ran first aid, but still no ethernet. So then I installed the ethernet kext into S/L/E and it worked.

Problem #4 - No audio devices in System Preferences so I ran audio_CloverALC-110 script. Good to go.

Problem #5 - No audio after sleep again, just like Yosemite. I then read that others had success by installing CodecCommander.kext as-is into S/L/E, so I did that and it worked. Back in the guide I followed for Yosemite, the kext required edits, but in El Capitan it worked without making any changes.

Problem #6 - No USB 3. Fiddling again with the possible fix posted by matt77303, I got my Intel USB 3.0 ports working! Not certain why my previous attempt didn't work, but I suspect I didn't have the DSDT patches correct. Still no fix for the Renesas USB 3.0 ports.

Still to do

1. Fix USB3. I tried this possible fix but no dice. I learned later that this fix isn't something to just try randomly so I undid all the changes. If anyone gets USB 3 working on this board, please share how!
  2. Update BIOS - should I? It's currently at F9 so I'd appreciate hearing from others about flashing this board with F10.

So far El Capitan is a significant improvement. No periodic crashes, but maybe too soon to be certain (random crashes are notorious on this board with Yosemite). Much faster booting and better video performance too.

Last edited:
I have the same board and flashed the F10 bios. So far everything seems stable, and also USB3 is working for me!

I believe I followed the guide here: http://www.tonymacx86.com/el-capitan-desktop-support/172337-el-capitan-usb-issues-possible-fix.html
At least I have the osi --> xosi in my clover configs, I believe this fixed it for me! :)

edit. I have not tested sleep yet, but power management works as it should!
Gave sleep a go finally after few weeks on stable build: My system is rebooting right after sleep, and coming back to the OSX without recognising USB ports. Thus this is not working for me.

Thanks for all those info.
I had major problem on the same board after the completion of the install. The system did not want to complete the install. Kept crashing with a PHYSMAP_PTOV bounds exceeded.
Removing all the kexts from 10.11 and codecommander did the trick.
After installation was completed, surprisingly network was working out of the box even without the kexts in 10.11. not sure why.
I had to reinstall the audio patch to get the audio back. However no audio after sleep/wake.
Tried to reinstall codecommander in s/l/e and restart. This is causing a major problem: PHYSMAP_PTOV again.
So codecommander was the culprit it seems. Now need to find another solution to get the audio back upon wake up.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back