Contribute
Register

[SUCCESS] Dell Precision T5500 - Quadro4000|Xeon X5680 (MacOS10.12.X)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Motherboard
ASUS Z97-AR
CPU
Intel Core i7-4790K
Graphics
Nvidia GTX 1070
Mac
  1. iMac
  2. Mac Pro
Mobile Phone
  1. Android
  2. iOS
What's working?
- Booting [Dell T5500]
- Display [Nvidia Quadro 4000]
- Ethernet [Broadcom 5754 Gigabit Controller]
- Sound [ADI 198x Integrated HD Audio]
- USB Ports (front & back)
- all HDDs (SAS are also being recognized)
- Sleep
If something isnt listed here I have just not tested it yet!

Issues?
- Native NVRAM [It seems the nvidia driver gets loaded, but in macos I can't check NVIDIA Web Driver, it always uses OS X Default Graphics Driver. Tried to fix it with this thread to "Problem 6", but it didnt worked. - not critical as drivers are working and resolution is fine :)]
- SAS HDD is recognized as "external" -> Not possible to boot with Clover
- hot graphics card (should be a generall issue with the Quadro 4000, but on MacOS it is maybe a bit more worse)
- 2 graphic cards will work, but there will be issues like longer boot, display random turn off and wont wake up

My procedure

BIOS Customization:
Bios Version: A16 (A06 tested also)
- Activated Intel Virtualization Technology
- Activated AHCI for SATA

Installation:
Booted the Legacy Clover Stick with
nv_disable=1 kext-dev-mode=1 dart=0 (PCIRootUID=4)

The installation then went fine and I finished it without issues. I figured out that I could install MacOS on my SAS HDD but then couldnt booted it up (was recognized as "external" hdd), so I went with installing it on a WesternDigital Black HDD.

Post Installation:
Booted it up again with the same boot args in Clover 4003, then I've downloaded the following things with another PC and copyied it with an NTFS formatted USB drive to my Hackintosh.
You can use my config.plst if you want to.

Multibeast:
Choosed FakeSMC and Clover. System Definition: MacPro 5,1

Other:
Ethernet/LAN: download attached modified BCM5722D.kext.zip and inject with Kext Utility If it doesn't work do the following:
edit the Info.plist as follows:
sudo vi /System/Library/Extensions/IONetworkingFamily.kext/Contents/PlugIns/BCM5722D.kext/Contents/Info.plist

I added an extra line to the dictionary containing the Device IDs:

<array>
<string>pci14e4,165a</string>
<string>pci14e4,167a</string>
<string>pci14e4,1672</string>
<string>pci14e4,167b</string>
<string>pci14e4,1673</string>
<string>pci14e4,1681</string>
<string>pci14e4,169b</string>
<string>pci14e4,1693</string>
<string>pci14e4,1712</string>
<string>pci14e4,1713</string>
</array>
The entry with pci14e4,1681 is what has to be added.

Sound: download attached AppleHDADisabler.kext 2.zip & VoodooHDA.kext V289 and inject with Kext Utility
(Optional: Update Clover to the latest version)

Graphics (Quadro 4000):
1. Download the Nvidia Custom Driver from NVIDIA (choose Quadro 4000 for Mac) or from tonymacx86.
2. After Installing (Don't reboot now!) the Custom Driver go to this thread to "Problem 4" and choose they way you like to fix black screen with nvidia driver. I've choosed Method 3, but 2 will also work. 1 WILL NOT Work!

Now you can boot without nv_disable=1 and if you want you can use nvda_drv=1 instead.

Boot args:
nvda_drv=1 kext-dev-mode=1 dart=0 PCIRootUID=4

1. Download the Update in the App Store
2. Reboot to install the MacOS Update (boot with nv_disable=1 !!)
3. Go to Settings -> Nvidia Manager & search for an update. Download & install it.
3. Go "Graphics" in my thread and fix the black screen again
4. Reboot with nvda_drv=1 and the other boot args you used before
5. Enjoy the newest MacOS on your PC :)
Dual Boot pre installed Windows 10/Server2016 & this newly installed MacOS
1. Boot Windows 10 & enter this command: bcdboot C:\Windows /s C: /f uefi
2. In MacOS mount the EFI partition with Clover Configurator (or any other programm)
3. Copy NTFS.efi into the /EFI/CLOVER/drivers64 & /drivers64UEFI folders.
3.5 [Optional*] Drag the entire 'Microsoft' folder inside the 'EFI' folder
4. [Optional*]Now take BOOTX64-win.efi from the Windows UEFI.zip mentioned above and drag that file into the 'BOOT' folder sitting inside underneath same 'EFI' folder.

* Optional because for me it worked without these steps.
Questens&Answers:
Q: Will my Xeon X5670, X5677 or other (same family) work?
A: Yes, tested by me. But be sure to give feedback under this post!
A: X5690, yes, tested by user

Thanks to / Credits:
Ethernet: http://www.onedigit.co.uk/content/hackintosh-dell-t7500
Dual Boot: This1 and This2

DellT5500-Sierra.jpg

Attachments

• config.plist
    4.3 KB · Views: 1,486
  • AppleHDADisabler.kext 2.zip
    9.3 KB · Views: 1,572
  • BCM5722D.kext.zip
    27.3 KB · Views: 955
Last edited:
Very cool.

Did you run a Geek Bench score? These are so cheap on eBay!

Iwwas curious what it's geek bench score was against used Mac Pros at 4x the price and more!

I might pick one up and give it a whirl :)

I have been having a tough time with my T5500. Ive got it booting however I'm trying to sort out a graphics issue. I am experiencing random freezes and crashes to the login screen running Mavericks or Yosemite. Running Sierra I get stuck at the black screen with curser, What i call the second half of booting.

I have some questions about your setup that may lead me to an answer. What CPU are you running and how many? I hear there are different model numbers? All I see on my motherboard is the D/PN (Dell Part Number) and what looks to be a serial number.

For the record I have installed the Nvidia web driver and it appears to be crashing less than without it. I configured the clover installer to to install EmuVariableUefi-64 to save the nvram to disk. I just purchased a Quadro4000 to see if that fixes the issue.

Last edited:
Hi @whosondephone
I have a Xeon X5680, but tested the Hackintosh also on a X5677 & X5670.
Different Modell Numbers? Maybe but I don't think so, I think it's always the same Modell but they have quite different specs.
My Quadro 4000 works like a Charme with the guide from me.

Thanks for the reply. I've got a couple of Quadro 4000s. One HP version and one Mac version. They get quite hot when i'm using them. To the point where they would burn my hand. I am worried that I have fired the Mac card. How hot does your card get? For your post install did you install clover legacy boot as you did for your install USB?

I've had the same issue as you have mentioned @whoseondephone , in one PC I have one Quadro 4000, in the other 2 Quadros.
There get really hot and I also nearly burned myself from one of them. It is a known issue with this Graphics Card. In normal usage (Dekstop Usage) I get about 50-60°, while using some applications which are using the graphics, it gets up to 90° (At 100° the pc will shut down).

Yes I installed clover legacy boot with multibeast, then I updated clover to the latest version via the official download link.

Finally got it working. There seem to have been two things hanging me up. Firstly the T5500 will only work with Fermi core Nvidia cards. Secondly there was a problem running Yosemite with this machine. Either I was running to new of a version of Clover for Yosemite or Yosemite is simply problematic. I have only heard of people running 10.8 10.11 or 10.12 successfully.

Thanks FaserF for blazing the trail and linking to the wonderful guides on the site. I made a SSDT for the Quadro 4000 "HP version". Perhaps it will work for other Quadro 4000's. Everything is installing and up to date running 10.12.5 without a hitch. Single X5690 confirmed working.

I would also like to mention I'm using PCIRootUID=4. Apparently it is typical for dells to use 4 for the PCI Root UID. I haven't seen this setting make a difference at all on either of my dells. However In the DSDT the UID for PCI0 is listed as 4 so I figure this is the correct value.

Edit: someone wanted a Geekbench score. https://browser.geekbench.com/v4/cpu/2883377

Attachments

• SSDT-0.aml
    565 bytes · Views: 600
Last edited:
I'm just embarking on my Hackintosh Journey with a T5500 running 2xX5660s,
I've still to sort ethernet, Soundblaster Audigy, and wifi, so will use this guide tonight all being well, in order to resolve the Network issues.

IMG_1430[1].JPG

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back