CPU
Intel i5-4570S
Graphics
Nvidia GT460
Mac
  1. iMac
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
Wanted to submit this post for reference. Successfully installed High Sierra 10.13.5 on a pre-built Dell Optiplex XE2 with an added graphics card (Nvidia GT640). I've successfully got the following installed and working.

1. Operating System (obviously)
2. Audio (front and rear panel)
3. USB (3.0, all ports)
4. Network (1Gbps)
5. Graphics: Intel Integrated, I'll be getting the Nvidia card working this week.

Specs
Motherboard: Dell, no further information
Processor: 4th Gen Intel Core I5-4570S Pr ocessor (Quad Core, 2.90GHz Tu rbo, 6MB, w/ HD Graphics 4600) , XE2
Memory: 8GB (2x4GB) 1600MHz DDR3 Non-E CC
Graphics Card: Nvidia GT640

Guide
(Source from Apple-Juice-Mac: https://www.tonymacx86.com/threads/...ierra-on-any-supported-intel-based-pc.235474/)

1. BIOS Settings
  1. Restore BIOS
  2. SATA Mode: AHCI
  3. IO Serial Port: Disable (Set to Port 1 by default)
  4. Boot Option: IMPORTANT. Regardless of using UEFI or Legacy, you must ensure that the "Legacy" view button is pressed. If you click the "UEFI" view button the system will KP. I haven't looked into this much except the headache it originally caused from me trying to boot without selecting the Hard Drive itself after installation.
  5. Performance: Untouched
  6. Virtualization: Intel Virtualization Technology: Enabled
  7. Virtualization: VT for Direct I/O: disabled
2. Clover/Unibeast
Please follow the guide here (https://www.tonymacx86.com/threads/...upported-intel-based-pc.235474/#uefi_settings) to create your bootable USB drive. This can be created using the OS X Journaled format. The hard drive will not be formatted in this way. You can set inject Nvidia but it won't be used (currently using the integrated graphics until I can work on the system again. I'll update the guide then).

3. Install High Sierra from bootable USB
Following the link directly above, you'll want to boot using F12 and select the USB drive you've formatted. Next, we're going to follow the guide from Apple-Juice-Mac. NOTE if you did not change the plist settings for USB Ownership and Injection, you must go to the settings area within clover every time you boot from usb. From there, check the following boxes:

For a new installation of macOS, you MUST erase and format the destination drive according to the following steps before continuing (Thanks to BreBro):

At Clover Boot Screen select Options > PCI devices > USB Ownership and USB Injection

For permanent solution check Inject USB + FixOwnership in Clovers config.plist
Code (Text):
<key>USB</key>
<dict>
<key>FixOwnership</key>
<true/>
<key>Inject</key>
<true/>
</dict>

a. Choose Disk Utility

b. Click View and turn on show all Devices

c. Highlight your target drive for the High Sierra installation in left column.

d. Click Erase button

e. For Name: type High Sierra (You can rename it later)

f. For Format: choose APFS (NOT ENCRYPTED!)

g. Click Erase

h. Close Disk Utility

7. When the installer asks you where to install, choose High Sierra

8. Upon completion, the system will automatically restart.

4. Finishing Installation

To finish the installation, you'll need to now use the USB to boot to the High Sierra Hard Drive you've begun the installation on. You'll need to do this 1-2 times (remember the USB ownership step above). When you've finally reached the installation window with the apple logo and an estimated time remaining, you'll have successfully installed the operating system. Configure it correctly, remembering to NOT SHARE DATA WITH APPLE.

5. Multibeast
Following the guide from part 2, open Multibeast. When you run Multibeast, perform the following.

• Quick Start

• Select UEFI (The Optiplex 990 guide I first linked said to choose Legacy but I have UEFI working fine)[/SIZE]
  • Audio drivers: I selected the 200/300/400 option with the 200/300 fix but there's additional work to be done after this.
  • Misc: Select NullCPUPowerManagement. Unsure of its use but it might solve the issue I've been having in UEFI if you choose Legacy.
  • Network: Select the newest AppleIntelE100e
  • USB: Select nothing
  • Graphics: Select nothing unless you want to use Nvidia before I've updated this.
  • Customize: Point System Definitions (Ensure it's a iMac 14,2).
  • Save the configuration to a safe location (I chose the Clover USB)
  • Click Build the Install.
6. Audio
The Dell site states that the device is using the Realtek ALC3220 codek. Upon further research, I discovered this is the ALC280 codek and can be setup as such. There's numerous guides on this process so I'll summarize. You'll need to install KextBeast, Lilu, AppleALC, and change the DSDT file used within Clover. here's the audio guide from the site: https://www.tonymacx86.com/threads/applehda-realtek-audio-guide.234732/

1. Install KextBeast for ease of install
  2. Download AppleALC and use KextBeast to install: (ALC link: https://github.com/vit9696/AppleALC/releases)
  3. Install Lilu kext as well: https://github.com/vit9696/Lilu/releases
  4. The Codek mode is 13, this will enable front and rear panel support
  5. Mount EFI (I used clover configurator for ease). and Change the Layout ID to 13.
  6. Reboot Machine
Provided you've done this, you should be able to press F12 and select the UEFI option for your hard drive. The boot should work without any hiccups, and you'll now have 10.13.5 running with audio, network, and USB!

My overall setup time (No knowledge to everything working [including iMessage]): ~5 hours. Includes debugging the kernel panic from the BIOS for about 90 minutes, three complete reinstallations and learning how to do most of this from scratch. Having full knowledge of this process, I'd probably be able to get it done in less than 1.

Any questions feel free to reach out. Happy to help the community.

**EDIT** Nvidia GT640 Update
So I went ahead and switched over to the Nvidia GT640. The graphics card is natively supported so there was no configuration step needed! Smooth sailing.

Last edited:
Hello,

could you possibly share your EFI partition contents.
I have a Optiplex XE2 with i7 4770s processor - impossible to get the installer to start. Clover starts no problem, but I have had anything from the white apple on the black background hanging for hours, to restarts and KPs shortly after booting the installer from clover. I have tried with 10.13.6 as thats the only version of HS I can download from the app store, and also Mojave. No Joy

Any hints would be appreciated.

Last edited:
Just reading your post in detail I saw you spoke about debugging kernel panic... I think that's where I'm at with my XE2... were you getting that with the installer or once the OS was installed? Thanks

Wanted to submit this post for reference. Successfully installed High Sierra 10.13.5 on a pre-built Dell Optiplex XE2 with an added graphics card (Nvidia GT640). I've successfully got the following installed and working.

1. Operating System (obviously)
2. Audio (front and rear panel)
3. USB (3.0, all ports)
4. Network (1Gbps)
5. Graphics: Intel Integrated, I'll be getting the Nvidia card working this week.

Specs
Motherboard: Dell, no further information
Processor: 4th Gen Intel Core I5-4570S Pr ocessor (Quad Core, 2.90GHz Tu rbo, 6MB, w/ HD Graphics 4600) , XE2
Memory: 8GB (2x4GB) 1600MHz DDR3 Non-E CC
Graphics Card: Nvidia GT640

Guide
(Source from Apple-Juice-Mac: https://www.tonymacx86.com/threads/...ierra-on-any-supported-intel-based-pc.235474/)

1. BIOS Settings
  1. Restore BIOS
  2. SATA Mode: AHCI
  3. IO Serial Port: Disable (Set to Port 1 by default)
  4. Boot Option: IMPORTANT. Regardless of using UEFI or Legacy, you must ensure that the "Legacy" view button is pressed. If you click the "UEFI" view button the system will KP. I haven't looked into this much except the headache it originally caused from me trying to boot without selecting the Hard Drive itself after installation.
  5. Performance: Untouched
  6. Virtualization: Intel Virtualization Technology: Enabled
  7. Virtualization: VT for Direct I/O: disabled
2. Clover/Unibeast
Please follow the guide here (https://www.tonymacx86.com/threads/...upported-intel-based-pc.235474/#uefi_settings) to create your bootable USB drive. This can be created using the OS X Journaled format. The hard drive will not be formatted in this way. You can set inject Nvidia but it won't be used (currently using the integrated graphics until I can work on the system again. I'll update the guide then).

3. Install High Sierra from bootable USB
Following the link directly above, you'll want to boot using F12 and select the USB drive you've formatted. Next, we're going to follow the guide from Apple-Juice-Mac. NOTE if you did not change the plist settings for USB Ownership and Injection, you must go to the settings area within clover every time you boot from usb. From there, check the following boxes:

4. Finishing Installation

To finish the installation, you'll need to now use the USB to boot to the High Sierra Hard Drive you've begun the installation on. You'll need to do this 1-2 times (remember the USB ownership step above). When you've finally reached the installation window with the apple logo and an estimated time remaining, you'll have successfully installed the operating system. Configure it correctly, remembering to NOT SHARE DATA WITH APPLE.

5. Multibeast
Following the guide from part 2, open Multibeast. When you run Multibeast, perform the following.

• Quick Start

• Select UEFI (The Optiplex 990 guide I first linked said to choose Legacy but I have UEFI working fine)[/SIZE]
  • Audio drivers: I selected the 200/300/400 option with the 200/300 fix but there's additional work to be done after this.
  • Misc: Select NullCPUPowerManagement. Unsure of its use but it might solve the issue I've been having in UEFI if you choose Legacy.
  • Network: Select the newest AppleIntelE100e
  • USB: Select nothing
  • Graphics: Select nothing unless you want to use Nvidia before I've updated this.
  • Customize: Point System Definitions (Ensure it's a iMac 14,2).
  • Save the configuration to a safe location (I chose the Clover USB)
  • Click Build the Install.
6. Audio
The Dell site states that the device is using the Realtek ALC3220 codek. Upon further research, I discovered this is the ALC280 codek and can be setup as such. There's numerous guides on this process so I'll summarize. You'll need to install KextBeast, Lilu, AppleALC, and change the DSDT file used within Clover. here's the audio guide from the site: https://www.tonymacx86.com/threads/applehda-realtek-audio-guide.234732/

1. Install KextBeast for ease of install
  2. Download AppleALC and use KextBeast to install: (ALC link: https://github.com/vit9696/AppleALC/releases)
  3. Install Lilu kext as well: https://github.com/vit9696/Lilu/releases
  4. The Codek mode is 13, this will enable front and rear panel support
  5. Mount EFI (I used clover configurator for ease). and Change the Layout ID to 13.
  6. Reboot Machine
Provided you've done this, you should be able to press F12 and select the UEFI option for your hard drive. The boot should work without any hiccups, and you'll now have 10.13.5 running with audio, network, and USB!

My overall setup time (No knowledge to everything working [including iMessage]): ~5 hours. Includes debugging the kernel panic from the BIOS for about 90 minutes, three complete reinstallations and learning how to do most of this from scratch. Having full knowledge of this process, I'd probably be able to get it done in less than 1.

Any questions feel free to reach out. Happy to help the community.

**EDIT** Nvidia GT640 Update
So I went ahead and switched over to the Nvidia GT640. The graphics card is natively supported so there was no configuration step needed! Smooth sailing.

Would you mind sharing your config.plist? I have the same machine and am trying to get everything running. Seem to be having an issue with this part

Would you mind sharing your config.plist? I have the same machine and am trying to get everything running. Seem to be having an issue with this part

What are you having problems with exactly. Starting the installer? That where I got stuck. I succeeded (not sure exactly what, where) with the attached config.plist.

Screenshots of my Drivers64UEFI folder:

upload_2018-10-23_20-31-18.png

and Drivers64:

upload_2018-10-23_20-33-36.png

And Kexts Other folder (Ignore the NOTs - your kexts should be here):

upload_2018-10-23_20-33-11.png

Not saying this is right, but managed to get the installer booted for the first time like this, using my GeForce GT730 graphics card in VESA mode for the install... Installer crashed twice and I had to launch it again twice, but got there, and have a fully working system - apart from sleep and dual boot windows 10 with Clover (Windows problems) using the 10.13.6 installer downloaded from Apple.

Reach out to me if you need any further help with your XE2.

Attachments

• config.plist
    13.1 KB · Views: 284
Yes, the installer keeps cycling continuously after the apple logo. Tried all the configurations on the guides, but I'm going to try to set everything up exactly as you have it and will report back with my results! Thanks a lot for your response!

Cycling continuously = rebooting?
With the attached plist it should show verbose text output on the screen rather than the apple logo. If you are getting somewhere, you will see lots and of text scrolling on the screen. It can stall for 1-2 minutes some times and still continue OK afterwards.

Make sure your Nvidia card is set as priority graphics in UEFI/BIOS. As you have a similar graphics card to me, it may work as is, but I also used a custom DSDT file created after a request. You can submit your request, see here. You just need to put the generated DSDT.aml in EFI/CLOVER/ACPI/patched on your boot USB drive.

I also used a specific version of clover. you should have access to a Mac and use the Clover_v2.4k_r4658.RM-4903.ca9576f3 version. (That was the only clover that worked for me (but with trial and error, unless you religiously log everything you do, it may not have been the clover version that did it, but if you want to try exactly like I tried...)
Use the clover installer to create clover on the USB flash drive, then coopy kexts to kexts/other in the clover folder in EFI partition. Copy your DSDT.aml file, and then boot.

Good luck.

Cycling continuously = rebooting?
With the attached plist it should show verbose text output on the screen rather than the apple logo. If you are getting somewhere, you will see lots and of text scrolling on the screen. It can stall for 1-2 minutes some times and still continue OK afterwards.

Make sure your Nvidia card is set as priority graphics in UEFI/BIOS. As you have a similar graphics card to me, it may work as is, but I also used a custom DSDT file created after a request. You can submit your request, see here. You just need to put the generated DSDT.aml in EFI/CLOVER/ACPI/patched on your boot USB drive.

I also used a specific version of clover. you should have access to a Mac and use the Clover_v2.4k_r4658.RM-4903.ca9576f3 version. (That was the only clover that worked for me (but with trial and error, unless you religiously log everything you do, it may not have been the clover version that did it, but if you want to try exactly like I tried...)
Use the clover installer to create clover on the USB flash drive, then coopy kexts to kexts/other in the clover folder in EFI partition. Copy your DSDT.aml file, and then boot.

Good luck.

Yes, rebooting after sitting on the apple logo for roughly 15-20sec with the small area of code followed by the ++++++++++++++ line, reboots and comes back into Clover. I will follow your instructions thoroughly. My GPU is a MSI GT 710, so fairly similar and hopefully will take with this configuration. Thanks again!!

Please you could post your EFI folder? i'm having some troubles to install mac os on my computer. Thanks already!!!

Try This.

Attachments

• EFI-XE2-BOOTINSTALLER.zip
    18.9 MB · Views: 203
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back