[Success]Dell Optiplex 7010 with NVIDIA GT640 1GB, i5

Status
Not open for further replies.
Motherboard
Dell Optiplex 7010
CPU
I5-3470
Graphics
GeForce GT640 (by Asus) , Integrated Intel HD2500 (Disabled)
I've been lurking here and finally built my first desktop Dell Hackintosh thanks to all the good folks here.

I have a Dell Optiplex 7010 SFF (two expansion slots, and 3 SATA) with Core i5 , 4GB of RAM. When I first began, I tried with the built in graphic card HD2500. After much research and trial and error, I've concluded it makes more sense to just get an NVidia card. I found an Asus GT640 card on eBay for $50. While I can get HD2500 to boot, but the lack of EQ/CI defeats the purpose of why I am using a MAC. In addition, HD2500 if boot without -x, has a nasty lag.

Some tips from my experience:
- make sure you install the graphic card in the slot that's furthest away from the power pack. I don't know why, but installing the card in the slot next to the power pack never work.
- I reset my bios settings. Then turn off all VT.
- I also select Nvidia as my primary and only card (no auto selection). If I don't do this, the installation always goto the HD2500 card.

Once this is done, just follow the 10.10 installation guide.

Post Installation was simple. The machine booted up without any flags.
For Multicast post installation, I set the following:
Quick Start> Easy Beast
Audio>Realtek ALCxxx>ALC269
Disk> 3rd party sata
Disk> Trim enabler > 10.10.x Trim patch
misc>Elliott Force LegacyRTC
misc>EvOreboot
misc>FakeSMC v6.11.1328
misc>NullCPUPowerManagement
misc>USB 3.0
Network>Intel>AppleIntelE1000e v3.1.0
Bootloader> Chimera v4.0.1
Boot Options> 1080p Display mode, Basic Boot Options, Generate CPI states, hibernate mode - desktop, Kext Dev Move, Use Kernel Cache
System Definitions > MAc mini > Mac mini 6,1

Once the above are set, everything work well. I also applied 10.10.1 update from AppStore.

Next, is get the HDMI sound to work. For this, search on google for "HDMI Audio Macintosh" or HDMIAudio-1.0.dmg. Follow the instruction to install. Now, come the weird challenge. After reboot, the computer doesn't send any signal to the monitor. I thought , DOH. Boot it back into safe mode (-x). Shut down and reboot, and voila, everything works include the sound.

I do not know if USB 3.0 truly works, so I'll need to test that.

I think eq/ci works as well. I can see multiple screen saver and the top menu bar has transparency.

I will be adding a Windows 7 drive on this machine. Dual boot shouldn't be an issue.

All in all, I would say the installation once you have the right graphic card is rather straight forward.

I've been lurking here and finally built my first desktop Dell Hackintosh thanks to all the good folks here.

I have a Dell Optiplex 7010 SFF (two expansion slots, and 3 SATA) with Core i5 , 4GB of RAM. When I first began, I tried with the built in graphic card HD2500. After much research and trial and error, I've concluded it makes more sense to just get an NVidia card. I found an Asus GT640 card on eBay for $50. While I can get HD2500 to boot, but the lack of EQ/CI defeats the purpose of why I am using a MAC. In addition, HD2500 if boot without -x, has a nasty lag.

Some tips from my experience:
- make sure you install the graphic card in the slot that's furthest away from the power pack. I don't know why, but installing the card in the slot next to the power pack never work.
- I reset my bios settings. Then turn off all VT.
- I also select Nvidia as my primary and only card (no auto selection). If I don't do this, the installation always goto the HD2500 card.

Once this is done, just follow the 10.10 installation guide.

Post Installation was simple. The machine booted up without any flags.
For Multicast post installation, I set the following:
Quick Start> Easy Beast
Audio>Realtek ALCxxx>ALC269
Disk> 3rd party sata
Disk> Trim enabler > 10.10.x Trim patch
misc>Elliott Force LegacyRTC
misc>EvOreboot
misc>FakeSMC v6.11.1328
misc>NullCPUPowerManagement
misc>USB 3.0
Network>Intel>AppleIntelE1000e v3.1.0
Bootloader> Chimera v4.0.1
Boot Options> 1080p Display mode, Basic Boot Options, Generate CPI states, hibernate mode - desktop, Kext Dev Move, Use Kernel Cache
System Definitions > MAc mini > Mac mini 6,1

Once the above are set, everything work well. I also applied 10.10.1 update from AppStore.

Next, is get the HDMI sound to work. For this, search on google for "HDMI Audio Macintosh" or HDMIAudio-1.0.dmg. Follow the instruction to install. Now, come the weird challenge. After reboot, the computer doesn't send any signal to the monitor. I thought , DOH. Boot it back into safe mode (-x). Shut down and reboot, and voila, everything works include the sound.

I do not know if USB 3.0 truly works, so I'll need to test that.

I think eq/ci works as well. I can see multiple screen saver and the top menu bar has transparency.

I will be adding a Windows 7 drive on this machine. Dual boot shouldn't be an issue.

All in all, I would say the installation once you have the right graphic card is rather straight forward.

Hi, I know this is an old thread, but does the Asus GT640 work out of the box? Or does it require drivers downloaded to get it to work?

It still has support in HS and works OOB in my experience. I've got the MSI 1GB version, full height card.

It still has support in HS and works OOB in my experience. I've got the MSI 1GB version, full height card.
Thanks for your response. I got the card, but when I am running osx and it uses any amount of graphics power, graphics load slowly. When I go to about my mac, it only shows around 24 mg of graphics available to me. Any Ideas?
Thanks a lot for your help!

@ethansenoj, please update your profile (personal details) with your Motherboard, CPU and iGPU or Graphics Card.
If you have a prebuilt computer enter make and model instead of motherboard (Mobo).
The Rules said:
Profiles need to contain at least your primary system to assist others with helping you.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back