Contribute
Register

[Success] Dell Latitude E6540 (opencore 0.6.4)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Motherboard
Gigabyte GA-Z97X-UD3H-BK
CPU
i7-4790K
Graphics
R9 270X
Mac
  1. iMac
  2. MacBook Air
  3. MacBook Pro
Mobile Phone
  1. Android
Model: Dell Latitude E6540
CPU: Intel Core i7-4800MQ (haswell)
Graphics: Intel HD 4600 + AMD 8790M(disabled)
Display: 15" 1920x1080
Audio: ALC292
WiFi: DW1520 BCM4322 minipcie

May need optimization.
However, I couldn't find any problems with short tests like sleep, webcam, HDMI, SD-card, all usb ports, keyboard& touchpad, etc...
Dim display while on battery working
brightness FN key working (FN+ up, down arrow)

I tested it from a clean install.

cpufriend.kext should be modified with your CPU.
Modify the wifi to your device too.

ps. Don't update 'SMCDellSensors.kext'
sip off, all debug off. If need, please turn on
Screen Shot 2020-12-17 at 2.27.18 PM.png

Screen Shot 2020-12-17 at 2.27.51 PM.png
Screen Shot 2020-12-17 at 5.53.00 PM.png

Screen Shot 2020-12-17 at 5.44.41 PM.png

Attachments

• EFI.zip
    6.3 MB · Views: 1,938
Last edited:
Hi there,
i have an Asus Rog g771jw and i have almost the same configuration as you, but i have a problem with my OpenCore configuration.
It seems that my system doesnt wanna restart if i try to restart but it does shutdown and sleep.
I didnt had this problem when i was using Clover, but since BigSur works works only on Clover im using OpenCore.
I wanna know if you had the same problem or if you know something about this, because i dont know what else to do.

Thanks.

Hi there,
i have an Asus Rog g771jw and i have almost the same configuration as you, but i have a problem with my OpenCore configuration.
It seems that my system doesnt wanna restart if i try to restart but it does shutdown and sleep.
I didnt had this problem when i was using Clover, but since BigSur works works only on Clover im using OpenCore.
I wanna know if you had the same problem or if you know something about this, because i dont know what else to do.

Thanks.
Even if the laptops are different, you can refer to each other. However, Problems such as sleep and restart, there are too many variables. This is because it can be caused by incorrect BIOS settings, or when USB or add-on device settings are not correctly set.
The opencore manual is the most basic solution, not magic.
If there was no problem when using clover, it is also recommended to try converting to opencore as much as possible. Then completely optimize it with opencore.
Because I don't have an asus laptop, I can only say this much

Hi, I used your EFI to do a clean Big Sur install, everything went pretty much smoothly, but after a few days of use I'm experiencing the following things that are driving me mad:

Battery reading is erratic. Sometimes it will be correct, others it will be completely off(as in show it's got 0 minutes left even though it's fully charged and needs 20 hours to charge when ac cable is inserted).

Trackpad didn't work every now and then, again in a random manner, after cold or warm boot. I tried a few variations of voodoops2 including a working version I had in my previous build(Catalina with clover) but for the past 2 days it doesn't work at all, no matter the version I try.

CPU seems to cap at 2.4ghz instead of 2.8. I'm using an SSDT I had in my previous build, tried CPUFriend with similar results. I got a 4810MQ, using voltage shift to undervolt a bit, tried without it got same results(using Luxmark to test). On top of that, sometimes it will stay at 800mhz from boot, regardless if it is on ac or battery and won't go higher unless I shutdown and restart. I checked all power management settings, didn't find anything wrong or missing.

Any help would be highly appreciated!

Attachments

• EFI.zip
    22.8 MB · Views: 317
Hi, I used your EFI to do a clean Big Sur install, everything went pretty much smoothly, but after a few days of use I'm experiencing the following things that are driving me mad:

Battery reading is erratic. Sometimes it will be correct, others it will be completely off(as in show it's got 0 minutes left even though it's fully charged and needs 20 hours to charge when ac cable is inserted).

Trackpad didn't work every now and then, again in a random manner, after cold or warm boot. I tried a few variations of voodoops2 including a working version I had in my previous build(Catalina with clover) but for the past 2 days it doesn't work at all, no matter the version I try.

CPU seems to cap at 2.4ghz instead of 2.8. I'm using an SSDT I had in my previous build, tried CPUFriend with similar results. I got a 4810MQ, using voltage shift to undervolt a bit, tried without it got same results(using Luxmark to test). On top of that, sometimes it will stay at 800mhz from boot, regardless if it is on ac or battery and won't go higher unless I shutdown and restart. I checked all power management settings, didn't find anything wrong or missing.

Any help would be highly appreciated!
Hi~
Don't update 'SMCDellSensors.kext' (If you do, will be broken 'usbmapping'& 'battery' etc ....

It's Unnecessary 'SMCSuperIO.kext' and SSDT.aml
About cpu,
first remove 'ssdt.aml' (Haswell is navtively supported as Native CPU Power Management
Only need 'SSDT-PLUG.aml'. CPUFriend is not required.

Hi,

I was away for a bit and couldn't check. For the past week I've tried all possible variations, with or without DellSensors(it is not updated btw but figured I don't really need it anyway as I'm not touching the fan speed which seems to be the only thing this kext does), removed SMCSuperIO and SSDT, yet I'm still having the same issues with the battery, sometimes the reading is correct, other not, I'm also experiencing audio issues. Audio might take a few minutes to work after boot(not recognized at all) and a few times a restart was necessary. I wonder if these two issues are unrelated and battery is just getting super old(it's at 45% health, 1885 instead of 4400mAh) hence not being read properly every other boot.

How are you dealing with the headphones plug btw? In Catalina I had a patch in place, running an ALC-plug fix launch deamon but can't install it on Big Sur even with sip turned off, so I have to manually run it whenever I need to plug my headphones.

Thanks again!

Hi,

I was away for a bit and couldn't check. For the past week I've tried all possible variations, with or without DellSensors(it is not updated btw but figured I don't really need it anyway as I'm not touching the fan speed which seems to be the only thing this kext does), removed SMCSuperIO and SSDT, yet I'm still having the same issues with the battery, sometimes the reading is correct, other not, I'm also experiencing audio issues. Audio might take a few minutes to work after boot(not recognized at all) and a few times a restart was necessary. I wonder if these two issues are unrelated and battery is just getting super old(it's at 45% health, 1885 instead of 4400mAh) hence not being read properly every other boot.

How are you dealing with the headphones plug btw? In Catalina I had a patch in place, running an ALC-plug fix launch deamon but can't install it on Big Sur even with sip turned off, so I have to manually run it whenever I need to plug my headphones.

Thanks again!
Assuming that the BIOS is up-to-date and Power Management is set as standard,
In my opinion, your battery is not in good physical condition. I think it might be helpful to do a calibration.
problems with Audio(combo jack) can be solved with layout 32 + codecommand.kext or when set to layout 55 (ALC-plug fix is not required).
There is certainly some delay in the audio loading when the system boots up,
but not in minutes. Just wait a bit.

The test goes up to big sur 11.1 and I don't know the result in 11.2.
E6540, e7250, e7270.. Currently, all Dell laptops have switched to Windows.
The poor performance of the ALPS touchpad drives me crazy.

Assuming that the BIOS is up-to-date and Power Management is set as standard, In my opinion, your battery is not in good physical condition. I think it might be helpful to do a calibration. problems with Audio(combo jack) can be solved with layout 32 + codecommand.kext or when set to layout 55 (ALC-plug fix is not required). There is certainly some delay in the audio loading when the system boots up, but not in minutes. Just wait a bit. The test goes up to big sur 11.1 and I don't know the result in 11.2. E6540, e7250, e7270.. Currently, all Dell laptops have switched to Windows. The poor performance of the ALPS touchpad drives me crazy.

Thanks for the prompt reply.

Bios is updated and power management is fully functional. Some E6540 laptops have a hardware issue and cpu runs at base speed if ac cable is removed or they wake up on battery, I have a feeling mine belongs to this group so I don't see any way of fixing this particular issue.

No dice with layouts 32 or 55, still getting the crackling noise and have to use alc-plug fix. It's weird if you don't have this issue if our laptops are identical.

I'm quite happy with the trackpad I must say, I don't use gestures so don't really care about that, left/right tap plus three finger swipe work, I can live without the rest.

Model: Dell Latitude E6540
CPU: Intel Core i7-4800MQ (haswell)
Graphics: Intel HD 4600 + AMD 8790M(disabled)
Display: 15" 1920x1080
Audio: ALC292
WiFi: DW1520 BCM4322 minipcie

May need optimization.
However, I couldn't find any problems with short tests like sleep, webcam, HDMI, SD-card, all usb ports, keyboard& touchpad, etc...
Dim display while on battery working
brightness FN key working (FN+ up, down arrow)

I tested it from a clean install.

cpufriend.kext should be modified with your CPU.
Modify the wifi to your device too.

ps. Don't update 'SMCDellSensors.kext'
sip off, all debug off. If need, please turn on
View attachment 501329
View attachment 501330View attachment 501332
View attachment 501331
I use your EFI work for me, but only error is headphone, when plug headphone i can't hear any thing and don't talk to other person. Help me please! Thank you very much!
My laptop is Dell Latitude E6540, core i7-4600m, audio alc3226

Hi there,
im just curious if you used the latest versions of WhateverGreen from 1.4.7 to 1.4.9 because for me they dont work, they get my boot to freeze and i cant find the problem. in the config.plist if i delete the device-id for the graphic then i can boot but the graphic acceleration is off so i gues is something dealing with that or just not wirking in my case because i didnt found anything on forums.
If you can test it, please let me know.

Thanks

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back