Contribute
Register

[Success] Dasdf's Build: Core i7-4770k - GA-Z87X-UD3H - HD4600

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hey,

I'm looking into a similar build but I want to add a graphics card eventually. My question is about the power supply. Should I buy a power supply calculated with the graphics card or without? I want to get the machine working before I buy a graphics card in 6 months or so.

Thanks!

Hey,

I'm looking into a similar build but I want to add a graphics card eventually. My question is about the power supply. Should I buy a power supply calculated with the graphics card or without? I want to get the machine working before I buy a graphics card in 6 months or so.

Thanks!

Most important, make sure the power supply is certified with haswell first

If you want to get rid of error in console:
[AGPM Controller] unknownPlatform

Add these lines to your org.chameleon.Boot.plist:
<key>IntelAzulFB</key>
<string>10</string>

I am assuming you have those already:
<key>GraphicsEnabler</key>
<string>No</string>
<key>IGPlatformID</key>
<string>0c260000</string>
<key>IGPEnabler</key>
<string>Yes</string>

I am also not sure how to fix CPU stepping on Haswell and this MB. I posted question/findings here: http://www.tonymacx86.com/user-buil...0k-ga-z87x-ud3h-gtx-770-4gb-2.html#post731196
Also, if you want to use HD4600 DisplayPort you need to alter your MB DSDT. If it easy to do with custom SSDT.aml (attached, place in /Extra folder). I found this solution when going through trouble of enabling DisplayPort:
Code:
/*
 * Intel ACPI Component Architecture
 * AML Disassembler version 20130823-64 [Aug 30 2013]
 * Copyright (c) 2000 - 2013 Intel Corporation
 * Disassembly of iASLyKCJsa.aml, Wed Dec 25 22:29:38 2013
 * Original Table Header:
 *     Signature        "SSDT"
 *     Length           0x00000080 (128)
 *     Revision         0x01
 *     Checksum         0xC4
 *     OEM ID           "SaSsd"
 *     OEM Table ID     "SaSsdt"
 *     OEM Revision     0x00003000 (12288)
 *     Compiler ID      "INTL"
 *     Compiler Version 0x20130823 (538118179)
 */
DefinitionBlock ("iASLyKCJsa.aml", "SSDT", 1, "SaSsd", "SaSsdt", 0x00003000)
{

External (_SB_.PCI0.GFX0, DeviceObj)

Scope (\_SB.PCI0.GFX0)
    {
        Method (_DSM, 4, NotSerialized)  // _DSM: Device-Specific Method
        {
            If (LEqual (Arg2, Zero))
            {
                Return (Buffer (One)
                {
                     0x03
                })
            }

Return (Package (0x04)
            {
                "AAPL,ig-platform-id", 
                Buffer (0x04)
                {
                     0x03, 0x00, 0x22, 0x0D
                }, 

"hda-gfx", 
                Buffer (0x0A)
                {
                    "onboard-1"
                }
            })
        }
    }
}
Make sure you org.chameleon.Boot.plist graphics related entries looks like:
Code:
	<string>No</string>
	<key>IGPEnabler</key>
	<string>Yes</string>
	<key>IntelAzulFB</key>
	<string>10</string>

Or just use:
Code:
	<string>No</string>
	<key>IGPlatformID</key>
	<string>0d220003</string>
	<key>IGPEnabler</key>
	<string>Yes</string>
Interesting, but after this change - DP is fully operational and my monitor is reported as built-in iMac one (see picture).
Code:
Intel HD Graphics 4600:

Chipset Model:	Intel HD Graphics 4600
  Type:	GPU
  Bus:	Built-In
  VRAM (Total):	1024 MB
  Vendor:	Intel (0x8086)
  Device ID:	0x0412
  Revision ID:	0x0006
  Displays:
HP ZR2740w:
  Resolution:	2560 x 1440
  Pixel Depth:	32-Bit Color (ARGB8888)
  Display Serial Number:	CNT323W04Y  
  Main Display:	Yes
  Mirror:	Off
  Online:	Yes
  Built-In:	Yes
  Connection Type:	DisplayPort

Attachments

• Display.png
    Display.png
    69.3 KB · Views: 216
  • org.chameleon.Boot.plist
    798 bytes · Views: 190
  • SSDT.aml
    128 bytes · Views: 220
I have been following your interesting posts… what's the differences between DSDT and SSDT ?
i tried understand plist and code into your attachments but i've no skill to do that ;)

SSDT is used to compliment your MB DSDT with CPU power specs (as CPU info is not part of it on Hacks), but because of it can carry DSDT info as well, it is often used to compliment your native UEFI MB DSDT with DSDT edits without the need of extracting and forcing external DSDT.aml with boot loader. I have attached all files, so there is no need to edit anything, just drop in the replacements. You may need to generate your own iMac14,1 system profile (smbios.plist) with MultiBeast 6.0.1.

Attachments

• MB-iMac.png
    MB-iMac.png
    113.3 KB · Views: 305
Just finished Windows 7 install on my new Haswell platform and played Half-Live 2 for a little bit to test Graphics - with high to medium settings on 2560x1440 this HD4600 was butter smooth and hardly got any wormer from usual room temperature, if at all. Few more chip generations and we will not need dedicated graphics anymore for decent gaming. I feel justified to get rid of GTX 670, HD4600 is more than adequate for older games.

When using iMac system profile you may experience a small audio pops due to audio power management enabled. I found this post that takes care of it in a very simple and elegant way:http://www.tonymacx86.com/audio/91572-quick-fix-hack-eliminate-sound-popping.html#post562302

Or:
LineIn app described here: http://www.tonymacx86.com/audio/96369-audio-popping-any-solutions.html#post591629
You only need to run it once and select "silent input" from input menu, leave other defaults and click Pass Through button. The good thing it stays like this after you quit app. You need to activate it after reboot (it seems). Although I still can hear faint pops.

I prefer the "cron" as it "shoot and forget" type of solution and fixes audio completely - no any pops, period.

Testing the same Haswell system...

The system was not very stable until I upgraded to BIOS F8K: Chimera would freeze and Clover would just reboot.

I have the same setup (except I'm using the internal HD4600) and have been having the 4 DIMM freezing problem. I took out 2 DIMMs and I'm not experiencing any freezing anymore. I saw this post and I'm considering loading the F8K Beta BIOS and putting back the 2 DIMMMs I removed, but I have a question:

Are you running with 4 DIMMs and the F8K BIOS and no longer have any freezes (assuming you're running the Chimera boot loader)? If so how long?

I have the same setup (except I'm using the internal HD4600) and have been having the 4 DIMM freezing problem. I took out 2 DIMMs and I'm not experiencing any freezing anymore. I saw this post and I'm considering loading the F8K Beta BIOS and putting back the 2 DIMMMs I removed, but I have a question:

Are you running with 4 DIMMs and the F8K BIOS and no longer have any freezes (assuming you're running the Chimera boot loader)? If so how long?
I upgraded to F8k BIOS today and am now running with 4x8GB at 1600MHz (1.50V) without freezes for 2 hours. I think the freezes are fixed, but I need some time to test if the system is fully stable.

Thanks - as you can tell I'm hoping that this BIOS is going to address the 4 DIMM lockups and get us a stable platform with no side-effects. If custom-mac confirms he has been solid since the 22nd when he installed F8K then we should be looking good.

Thanks - as you can tell I'm hoping that this BIOS is going to address the 4 DIMM lockups and get us a stable platform with no side-effects. If custom-mac confirms he has been solid since the 22nd when he installed F8K then we should be looking good.
I hope the same, I finally want a stable system... I've had freezes even with 1, 2 or 3 sticks of RAM.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back