Contribute
Register

[SUCCESS] Corsair One Pro (MSI Z270i, i7-7700k, GTX 1080)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Motherboard
MSI Z270I GAMING PRO CARBON AC
CPU
Intel 7700K
Graphics
GTX 1080
intoth3rainbow's Corsair One Pro (MSI Z270i, i7-7700k, GTX 1080)

Components

Corsair One Pro 7700K GTX 1080(SKU CS-9000007-NA) - Amazon

Western Digital My Passport SSD 512GB - Amazon
(I decided to go for this one, since I need at least 512GB for my OS X drive, and I’m already having a perfect working PC that I don’t want to mess with. Also the drive comes with USB-C and USB 3.0 / 2.0 compatible connector too!)

Already Owned
  • Monitors: Acer Predator X34 100hz, Dell U2515H
  • Sound: Bose Companion 50
  • Peripherals Filco Majestouch 2 TKL, Steel Series Ikari Laser, Steel Series Stratus XL (only works with Windows)

Comments

Hi everyone, I have just joined this forum a few days ago, and this is my very first attempt at Hackintosh, despite being a long time mac user for over 12 years now.

Lately, my Macbook Pro (mid 2015 i7 2.8Ghz R9 M370X) has been showing its age, especially when I upgraded my monitors set into 2x 1440p monitors. Connecting to those monitors, the MBP's fans kept running at max speed (over 6000rpm) all the time, even when I was just browsing YouTube videos. Editing photos is a pain despite it's one of the strongest MBP till date.

I need a machine that is strong enough for gaming, photo editing, while its heat being well managed and noise being kept as quiet as possible. The Corsair One dual booting Windows 10 and Mac OS X seems to be my best option.

BIOS setup (MSI z270 / z270i)
  1. Restore to default BIOS
  2. Legacy USB Support -> Auto
  3. Fast Boot -> Disabled
  4. Secure Boot Support -> Disabled
  5. Resume By USB Device -> Enabled

Overview:

Bug Fixed:

Summary

What Works:
  • iMessage
  • iCloud
  • Ethernet
  • Time Machine (even restoring from My Macbook Pro's old snapshot)
  • All USB (type A, type C, 2.0, 3.0, 3.1 etc)
  • Nvidia Graphics (GTX 1080)
  • Dual Monitors (1440p, one being Ultrawide + 100hz + G-Sync)
  • Sound (both my Speakers and Headphones are USB-connected and worked right away, so I did not bother with onboard sound driver)

What Does Not Work:
  • Wifi (as usual, onboard Intel Wifi)
  • AirDrop: not sure how to get it working, probably has something with Wifi not supported.
  • Sleep - Wake: unfortunately, had I use an internal SSD, it should be perfect. Due to having an external USB-C SSD OS Drive. It seems like every time the Hackintosh wakes up, it restarts the USB-C drive, which apparently crash the system a few seconds after.

Benchmarks (Not overclocked)

Final Impressions

I'm extremely satisfied with how everything is now. The Corsair One runs very quiet and cool, editing photos with Aperture 3.0 is faster than ever for me. It took me full 3 days of tinkering around the internet and research about every single bug that bothered me but it was definitely worth it. Lots of knowledge acquired too!

The external SSD speed vs internal SSD isn't something that I could notice at all, the Hackintosh has been running for 2 days now without any problem / glitch / crash at all. Boot time is definitely longer than my MacBook Pro, but it's something I am OK with.

Attachments

• EFI.zip
    7.9 MB · Views: 200
Last edited:
This turned out great, and I really like the idea of using the Corsair One as the basis for Hackintosh. Nice work.

I have a fairly similar pc with an i7 7700k but with an msi z270m mortar and 1050ti. Unfortunately I am having trouble installing macOS onto my system. I am completely new to Hackintosh so I have no idea what to do. How can I change the kext and EFI to fit my specs? Thanks a lot!

Hi @intoth3rainbow, based on when your guide was originally posted (June 2018), the most recent MSI z270 BIOS would have been 7A66v1B 2018-05-04. Is this the one you restored to? Also, any long-term issues to report? Still booting into High Sierra? Thanks!

Thank you for asking I’m having exactly the same question, please update us.

hoi intoth3rainbow,
I have the same computer, the link to EFI is dead, could you give me a fresh link
Thanks in advance,
DannyVdH

Hey guys, sorry about the link, attached again in this message. Turned out dropbox isnt the best way to share files publicly lol.

Attachments

• EFI.zip
    7.9 MB · Views: 101
I run almost the same but not the 1080. I got the 1080Ti. What should I change?
I give them I try :D I will also try the dual boot ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back