Contribute
Register

[Success] Core i5 3570k GA-Q77M-D2H 16GB RAM Dual Boot (Mountain Lion 10.8.1 & Win7)

Status
Not open for further replies.
@stork, I did read about the chameleon solution and download the latest version yesterday with no success. I'm fairly certain it was still the same version I installed with and I tried the resolution fix, without success. However, you may well be right and I may be getting something wrong, but it works now and I won't mess with it just yet, I'm waiting to here some feedback on any gains from updating to BIOS F2.
This is my first build and whilst I'm not completely brain dead I only have the internet, this site mainly, as support. I have found the whole build more difficult than expected, so when I fix something I try to post my fix to give a little back. Any new information or advice is always greatly received, I will try your advice out at some point and let you know how I get on.
When you say BIOS graphics parameters do you mean - IGFX, 64M and MAX?? On an unrelated subject, do you know anything about coremidi, as it doesn't seem to work with my Focusrite Saffire 6? It might be the Focusrite kext or coremidi, but I have tried a USB MIDI keyboard and that worked.

@shargath, might be a good idea to try what stork says first, as I'm sure he knows more about this than I do, but I'm staying with my fix for now. I have found that sometimes with these things you can read post after post and get even more confused. In my opinion there is a large element of learning and research, but in the end you have to find what works for you.

@stork: are you sure? as I said, I can't boot with GE=Yes, and I can't play videos in VLC/flash...., I've added
<key>Graphics Mode</key>
<string>1440x900x32</string>

and my sys info looks like this:
View attachment 44911
Yes, I am sure. There's something else that is keeping you from having HD4000 work correctly. Make sure you're using the DVI or HDMI motherboard video connections.

...When you say BIOS graphics parameters do you mean - IGFX, 64M and MAX?? ...
Yes. As I noted in my Thunderball build description:
  • For HD4000, ensure the Internal Graphics is set to Enable and the Internal Graphics Memory Size to 32MB since Mountain Lion allocates the HD4000 memory size needed (Peripherals);

troll33 said:
...On an unrelated subject, do you know anything about coremidi, as it doesn't seem to work with my Focusrite Saffire 6? It might be the Focusrite kext or coremidi, but I have tried a USB MIDI keyboard and that worked.
No, unfortunately, I'm not familar with "coremidi." I recommend you post your question in the Music forum section as that's were the hobbyist, pro-sumer and professional audio recording guys hang out. :thumbup:

@stork, troll33: ok, problem will be then the VGA output I'm using, I have to buy new screen with DVI/HDMI...
just out of curiosity I've tried that EFI injection with 01620005, and this resulted to freeze at apple logo booting screen... so I had to boot in single user mode, and rewrite chameleon.Boot.plst...

@stork, thanks, I will check my graphics at some point and I will check the music forum, didn't realize there was one. Should I take down my post in the other thread, relating to HD4000?

@shargath, probably best to ask stork, but I used the chameleon.Boot.plist file from the USB because I was having the same problem. I had VGA without HD4000 but not now I have enabled it.

@troll33: so you have enabled HD4000 while using VGA? we have same mobo(not many people use this Q77M, so it's hard to find some resources..) but I have i7 3770....

@shargath, I had VGA before enabling HD4000, but youtube, flash, VLC and various other video apps and sites would not work. I ran my Hack for a month or so without HD4000, but I eventually got annoyed with it and started to look for answers.
When I first installed, I had similar issues as yourself. I could Install everything fine and I would run multibeast with the settings recommended by other users, with the GA-Q77M-D2H (user DSDT, ALC887/888b, hnak's AppleIntel ethernet, if I remember). I would then restart and try to boot from the hard disk, but I would get as far as the grey apple screen and it would freeze. I couldn't even get it to boot again from the USB, which I found strange, and I would end up starting over.
After much head scratching, I got it to work by installing and running multibeast as per instructions, but instead of using the chameleon.Boot.plist file created by multibeast I used the chameleon.Boot.plist from my USB boot drive. I should point out that this was before the multibeast update, so I was using multibeast 5.1.3.
This method got me up and running and a few days ago I tried the EFI injection and got HD4000, with the loss of VGA. I have read that DVI works and you can get a VGA-DVI adapter for very little money.
One other thing to be aware of is I think there is more to chameleon.Boot.plist than getting the right commands. This is why I used the file on the USB, my reasoning was, 'if it boots off the USB first time it CAN boot, so there must be some difference between the two'.
You are right about this motherboard, there seems to be a lack of firm answers and I have noticed others having similar issues. However, tonymac is a fantastic resource and without them my build and, I expect, many other would have been impossible.
I hope this has helped, keep me updated on how you get on.

@stork, thanks I will have a look.

@troll33: I have almost the exact same experience, after multibeast it would freeze at apple grey logo screen, I assume that multibeast changed GraphicsEnabler to Yes, so I tried to boot with -GraphicsEnabler=No and it worked... then I changed this in chameleon.Boot.plist and it works...

about that DVI to VGA adapter, I also wanted to try it, but I couldn't find the proper adapter in any eshop in my country... so I'll probably order it from dealextreme... also I plan to buy new LCD screen, so I can use DVI/HDMI, thanks for your help
:)

@shargath, GREAT, glad you got it sorted!!

Thanks for the guide, just got mine up and running with a Radeon HD 5770 inside a Silverstone FT03 with an H80 cooler. I'll try to post some pics later if anyone is interested. Also threw in a TP-LINK WNDR4800 (think thats right) other than not going above channel 64, I'm happy with it. Just need that 27" ASUS monitor and some decent speakers and I think I'll have a worthy successor to my 2007 iMac. Should have a bluetooth adapter tomorrow, I'll let you know how that pans out also. Fired up severals games, Diablo 3, Civ 5, Borderlands, Rochard, The Cave, a few others, all play flawlessly. May load up Premiere Pro CS6 this weekend or early next and see how the OpenCL hack for the 5770 works.

USB3.0 ports seem a bit wonky, sometimes they work. I might just wire up my front USB3.0 ports to the 2.0 ports until someone comes up with a better solution.

I got sensors working by installing FakeSMC & FakeSMC Plugins, now I can monitor with iStat Menus. :)

But seriously a big thanks for pretty much making this happen, other than spending a little money!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back