Contribute
Register

Success! Conversion from Clover to OpenCore 0.5.7 on Skylake Z170X-ud5 th and RX580

Status
Not open for further replies.

LSP

Motherboard
Gigabyte Z170X-UD5 th
CPU
i7 6700K
Graphics
RX580
Mac
  1. iMac
  2. MacBook Air
  3. MacBook Pro
Classic Mac
  1. Power Mac
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
I Started this project due to the fact that I could not resolve a sleep wake issue that started since I upgraded to Catalina 10.15.4. I previously went through all the guides and created an SSDT for Clover for my USB ports which appeared to have initially caused the problem back in Mojave. That resolved it until 10.15.4.

That being said I took a spare drive he created a clone existing working system. I then swapped that out for the clone to do my testing. My System is as follows:

Board: Gigabyte Z170X-UD5 TH

CPU: i7 6700 K

Graphics Card: Sapphire RX580 8GB

WiFi/Bluetooth: Original Apple Extreme on PCi adaptor

SSD: m.2 Samsung 970. 500GB

I read through everything I could find and then returned to OpenCore Vanilla Desktop Guide https://khronokernel-2.gitbook.io/opencore-vanilla-desktop-guide/

and followed the instructions explicitly for the Skylake build including using the recommended bios setting which differ from Clover, cleaning out all clover artifacts and removing any kexts left in library/extensions. First boot try my drive booted and came up running. Everything worked except USB ports needed to be configured and sleep still not working. To accomplish that I found the following How to which explains in depth the how and why it worksHow-to: USB mapping for OpenCore https://aplus.rs/2020/usb-mapping-how/

I choose to use the SSDT and SSDT-EC-USBX rather than the kext it creates as well as I felt it would be cleaner. After adding that to my config.plist and EFI folder and rebooted all worked perfectly. Sleep works, iMessage Handoff Airdrop all work. My build is now faster and some features now seem to work better.

The only issue I encountered appeared to be USB C ports failed to work or be recognized when I first mapped the ports using USBInjectall. They are linked to Thunderbolt ports in this particular motherboard and have a separate controller. In trying to get them to function I turned back on Thunderbolt support in the bios in the hope that it would work and not give me a kernel panic on boot. It worked without issue and the USBC ports are now active. One caveat though as before with Clover, they do not support hot swap and any device must be plugged in before booting otherwise it wont be seen.

I started with Opencore 0.5.6 and upgraded to 0.5.7. Follow the upgrade instructions explicitly as it does make a difference. That’s the only tedious part as you need to rebuild your config.plist and change the drivers to the current versions. You set Opencore to always boot from the startup disk you want by selecting it in System Preferences/Startup and rebooting.

I Have since added the OpenCore EFI to my main drive and have been running without issue for about two weeks.

There are guides for the following motherboards
Ivy Bridge
Haswell
Skylake
Kaby Lake
Coffee lake
Haswell E
Broadwell E
Skylake X

AMD Bulldozer/Jaguar and Zen

i am on mojave
i am interessting by the EFI. could you post a link ?
thks

Last edited:
I converted over with OC 0.0.4, haven't looked back since. Running OC 0.5.7 with Catalina 10.15.4 currently.
You do need to read the guides carefully though, but works great.

I Started this project due to the fact that I could not resolve a sleep wake issue that started since I upgraded to Catalina 10.15.4. I previously went through all the guides and created an SSDT for Clover for my USB ports which appeared to have initially caused the problem back in Mojave. That resolved it until 10.15.4.

That being said I took a spare drive he created a clone existing working system. I then swapped that out for the clone to do my testing. My System is as follows:

I read through everything I could find and then returned to OpenCore Vanilla Desktop Guide https://khronokernel-2.gitbook.io/opencore-vanilla-desktop-guide/

and followed the instructions explicitly for the Skylake build including using the recommended bios setting which differ from Clover, cleaning out all clover artifacts and removing any kexts left in library/extensions. First boot try my drive booted and came up running. Everything worked except USB ports needed to be configured and sleep still not working. To accomplish that I found the following How to which explains in depth the how and why it worksHow-to: USB mapping for OpenCore https://aplus.rs/2020/usb-mapping-how/

I choose to use the SSDT and SSDT-EC-USBX rather than the kext it creates as well as I felt it would be cleaner. After adding that to my config.plist and EFI folder and rebooted all worked perfectly. Sleep works, iMessage Handoff Airdrop all work. My build is now faster and some features now seem to work better.

The only issue I encountered appeared to be USB C ports failed to work or be recognized when I first mapped the ports using USBInjectall. They are linked to Thunderbolt ports in this particular motherboard and have a separate controller. In trying to get them to function I turned back on Thunderbolt support in the bios in the hope that it would work and not give me a kernel panic on boot. It worked without issue and the USBC ports are now active. One caveat though as before with Clover, they do not support hot swap and any device must be plugged in before booting otherwise it wont be seen.

I started with Opencore 0.5.6 and upgraded to 0.5.7. Follow the upgrade instructions explicitly as it does make a difference. That’s the only tedious part as you need to rebuild your config.plist and change the drivers to the current versions. You set Opencore to always boot from the startup disk you want by selecting it in System Preferences/Startup and rebooting.

I Have since added the OpenCore EFI to my main drive and have been running without issue for about two weeks.

Ivy Bridge
Haswell
Skylake
Kaby Lake
Coffee lake
Haswell E
Broadwell E
Skylake X

Welcome to the dark side (lol) - Congratulations on the conversion, I did mine a few days ago albeit I converted mine to NDK OC fork, the official version's boot screen is too clinical and bland for my taste after years of Chameleon and Clover boot screens. The speed at which it boots is phenomenal compared to Cover - It is the future my friend - Although it is still in a development stage it is now my daily driver.

The 'Hot Plug' issue you're facing is fixable with just an edit to the config.plist under Kernel. No extra kexts or drivers needed. I tried to patch with Xcode but it kept throwing up Hex errors, had to use 'PlistEdit Pro' which auto converts entries. If you're willing to try the depicted patch, please at least backup your working OC EFI working Folder to spare usb drive. After you apply the patch, it's just a case of repair Cache/Permissions and reboot. Good luck.

* Slight Edit to config.plist - Under Kernel/Patch for 'Hot Plug' lines 1 and 2 can be removed as they serve no purpose being there. The removal will not affect Hot Plugging.

Attachments

• Screenshot 2020-04-12 at 19.16.04.png
    Screenshot 2020-04-12 at 19.16.04.png
    260.1 KB · Views: 281
  • Screenshot 2020-04-12 at 19.51.54.png
    Screenshot 2020-04-12 at 19.51.54.png
    87.8 KB · Views: 310
Last edited:

Ivy Bridge
Haswell
Skylake
Kaby Lake
Coffee lake
Haswell E
Broadwell E
Skylake X

we got the same issue will you check my efi?

Attachments

• EFI.rar
    22.3 MB · Views: 159
Welcome to the dark side (lol) - Congratulations on the conversion, I did mine a few days ago albeit I converted mine to NDK OC fork, the official version's boot screen is too clinical and bland for my taste after years of Chameleon and Clover boot screens. The speed at which it boots is phenomenal compared to Cover - It is the future my friend - Although it is still in a development stage it is now my daily driver.

The 'Hot Plug' issue you're facing is fixable with just an edit to the config.plist under Kernel. No extra kexts or drivers needed. I tried to patch with Xcode but it kept throwing up Hex errors, had to use 'PlistEdit Pro' which auto converts entries. If you're willing to try the depicted patch, please at least backup your working OC EFI working Folder to spare usb drive. After you apply the patch, it's just a case of repair Cache/Permissions and reboot. Good luck.
hanks for the suggestion. Unfortunately it doesn't work. On this board the thunderbolt/USBC are on the pcie bus and are not hot swappable on a real Mac so there is no way to make that happen. It does work if its plugged in at boot but will not reconnect if unplugged

we got the same issue will you check my efi?
You didn't specify which MB or OS you have and I am running Opencore not Clover. Also please remove any system serials or other specifics info from your plist before posting. If its the hot plug issue I discovered it is unresolvable for my motherboard due to the fact that it not on the XHC controller but the Pcie controller

You didn't specify which MB or OS you have and I am running Opencore not Clover. Also please remove any system serials or other specifics info from your plist before posting. If its the hot plug issue I discovered it is unresolvable for my motherboard due to the fact that it not on the XHC controller but the Pcie controller
Supplemental update Catalina 10.15.4 i cant log in to my os tho so i cant edit any on my config.plist?i think we got different issue i just had sleep awake issue thats it after apple logo screen

hanks for the suggestion. Unfortunately it doesn't work. On this board the thunderbolt/USBC are on the pcie bus and are not hot swappable on a real Mac so there is no way to make that happen. It does work if its plugged in at boot but will not reconnect if unplugged

My board is a Gigabyte Aorus z390 pro wi/fi and my p/c case is a CSM Storm Trooper case with an X-Dock feature where I can Hot Plug ssd drives. I had hot plugging working perfect in Clover Catalina but in OC the drive would only show up if plugged in at boot just like what you're experiencing. After patching the OC config.plist with the same Clover patch, Hot plug works perfectly, as I have no Thunderbolt cards installed I cannot offer assistance on that score - Sorry.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back