ASUS P8Z77-V LX
CPU
Intel Core i7 3770k Unleashed @ 4.8GHz
Graphics
Gigabyte GTX 970 G1 GAMING OC
Mobile Phone
  1. Android
Hello, everyone.
So I've been having a Hackintosh installation on a separate HDD ever since 10.8 now, but never got around doing a post about my machine. So, without further ado, here it is.

Relevant components:

Intel Core i7 3770k 3.5GHz (4.8GHz custom Turbo Boost thanks to Unlocked edition)
Asus P8Z77-V LX Mainboard
16 GB Corsair Vengeance LP DDR3 RAM
Gigabyte Windforce 650 Ti BOOST OC
TP-Link TL-WDN4800 WiFi Adaptor (Atheros Chipset recognised by AirPort kexts as AirPort card)

Yes, some the components are a little bit old already, but they serve well as a gaming PC under Windows and I might upgrade the graphics card to an Nvidia GTX970 some time in the future to give it a lifetime expansion.

For the installation, I simply used Unibeast with the Clover option. It worked flawlessly and I don't think I have to explain these easy steps.

Now, for the bootloader configuration.

Clover automatically detected the first time I installed it that the type of hardware I am using is best off with an iMac13,2 system definition, as this model sports nearly the same CPU. I recommend either not messing with the values Clover is giving you, or just updating the BIOS version string so you don't get the Thunderbolt firmware update in the App Store all the time. My edits are as follows:

Bios Version: IM131.010A.B08.2015001
Bios Release Date: 06/30/2015

I'm not going into every single detail of my config.plist, since you can see for yourself down in the attachment, rather I will give you the most essential parts.

Boot arguments: darkwake=1 dart=0 kext-dev-mode=1 rootless=0
*I think I've heard rootless isn't effective in 10.11 anymore or just partially, you may need more steps to disable system protection.

Installed UEFI 64 Drivers: CsmVideoDxe, DataHubDxe, OsxAptioFix2Drv, PartitionDxe, HFSPlus.efi

Note that I have disabled legacy boot drive scanning in the Clover config, as my many Windows partitions were spamming the bootmenu with unfunctional entries. Now Clover only displays the recovery partition and other UEFI bootloaders besides OS X entries. You should tweak this to suit your needs, for instance with Clover Configurator.

As for kexts in the kext folder of Clover, there are none, since I consider it to be easier to update kexts in /S/L/E the folder is empty. (Plus kext injection and 10.11 is still a bit wonky or not functional at all, so there ya go)
Otherwise, kexts that I am using are: FakeSMC, RealtekRTL81xx.kext, VoodoHDA
Additionally, I am using the Nvidia Web Drivers for better UI performance (it just feel smoother with the Nvidia drivers sometimes, though the current version shows a few low framerates on the UI here and there. Can't have everything, I guess.) and Nvidia CUDA drivers (though I think I might not need the CUDA drivers, it's just to be sure I have 100% for the card installed).

For power management, I am using a patched DSDT with appropriate fixes for the Z77 chipset and Asus-specific ones and an SSDT that was created by pssdtgen. I'm going to include both alongside my Clover configuration in the attachment, though you CANNOT use the SSDT for any other CPU, it has to be the exact same 3770k, while the DSDT should work with any configuration based on that mainboard.
Intel SpeedStep is working and the computer can be put to sleep successfully without weirdly glitching out and restarting again (note that I rarely put the computer to sleep and that I don't know how reliable it is. It's possible sleep doesn't work for you with my config because your BIOS settings are different from mine. Write down in the thread if you need any help). Though personally I feel that CPU scaling seems to be a bit aggressive and the CPU often runs up to maximum clockspeed while doing normal tasks. This may be due to the extreme Turbo Boost overclock that I have set (or the SSDT dictating aggressive scaling) and is not recommended for people who have a smaller heatsink (Mine is the Skythe Mugen 4 PCGH, the previous cooler didn't even allow for such high overclocking speeds).

I think that's pretty much it. Have fun with the nearly one-click Clover configuration in the attachment (extract into the EFI folder of your ESP, overwriting any files and folders if present), though I am not responsible for any bootloops that you might experience due to an incompatibility with something, even though I consider it to be unlikely since this configuration has worked for me every day.
I hope this thread has helped you and I wish you good luck.

Attachments

• CLOVER.zip
    12.9 MB · Views: 10,399
Hey, I was reading your success story for booting el capitan on your machine. This is my first time doing doing a hackintosh so I was hoping you could give me some pointers. I have the exact same processor and motherboard. I successfully booted into el capitan from usb however I can't seem to boot into clover directly from my hard drive. I used the same CLOVER folder as you but the only thing that appears in my boot menu is Clover Legacy which won't work. Any ideas?

Got this board and an Asus z97 wifi pro ac i will be trying with .....Thank you so much for all this information it has been a long hard 2 days and night coming from no knowledge to only scratching the surface. I finally got El Cap, up on my lx. I am not entirely sure I have it at 100% but not far maybe.

I have a couple of questions for the OP at the end, but I'm just giving some background to what I did to get to where I am now that may help

I tried various things to get snow leopard up (which was a mission in it self) to THEN make my el cap USB with UniBeast 6.1.1
finally made the el cap USB then installed using the main guide. UniBeast: Install OS X El Capitan on Any Supported Intel-based PC

I think 'post' install it all seemed a bit random as to what I was doing so please dont use this info as gospel

I used MultiBeast - El Capitan 8.0.1 (it didnt work immediately but it worked after I rebooted) not sure why maybe i updated the mac app software like i said post install was a bit messy

I used MultiBeast - El Capitan 8.0.1 to install
the audio drivers ALC887/888b
the network drivers RealtekRTL81xx

this page helped somehwhat on what driver to choose [Success] P8Z77-V LX / i5-3570K / HD4000 / 10.9.5 this guide above actually says run multibeast again after reboot, anyway network worked -
I actually stuck with using installUSB to boot back into mac for now this info also helped [SUCCESS] Asus P8Z77-V LX + i5-3570K + GTX 970 TwinFrozr

reason i did not install anything else yet was because i was clueless on the boot method to install to stop using USB

I then used mutibeast to install the UEFI Boot Mode but this did not boot up so i kind of panicked
what I thin I shoudl ahve done is simply copy your clover folder over the one produced minus the SSDT files

but I went to El Capitan Post-Install Tools and installed it again through this then copied Ops clover folder to the EFI partion clover folder and low and behold it booted fine without USB

So my question to the OP is

1)Should I have just copied over your clover folder minus the SSDT or did i need to have done anything else?

2)and also how can I produce SSDT.aml for my i3570k?

3) could I use these? I was tempted to use the files here from a thread titled "[SSDT] GA-Z77X-UD5H + Intel Core i5-3570K Ivy Bridge" from another forum
but they are SSDT files ending .dsl and yours SSDT are .aml

4) If I wanted to use onboard intel video how would i change any edits you had made to accommodate this in the DDST.aml patched file?

anyway i'm so far and away, glad i got this far, i'm not into i-stuff but meaning to get this on my lx board for years. whoohoo

hey there.
I have some problems with my installation.
Got random crashes, when i start random apps (Black screen and restart)
I didn´t inject any cpu or energie or sata kexts. Just the basic settings from Multibeast for Legacy boot.
Do you have some tips for me, which kexts are essentials for the mainboard and how to inject them properly?
Ethernet works.
I have the p8z77-v lx 2!

Thank you very much :)

Hello, tanks for help. i use your efi and a cant pass 3 state of cpu. i have my ssdt but dont work. can anyone help me? tanks

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back