GA-Z370n-Wifi - i7-8700K - iGPU

IMG_4441.JPG

IMG_0535.JPG
Components:

Gigabyte GAZ370N-Wifi mini ITX board
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B076VD4XV4/?tag=tonymacx86com-20

Intel BX80684I78700K 8th Gen Core i7-8700K
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07598VZR8/?tag=tonymacx86com-20

Corsair Carbide Series Air 240 High Airflow MicroATX and Mini-ITX PC Case - Black
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00LA6WXEO/?tag=tonymacx86com-20

Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB DDR4 DRAM 3000MHz
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B014JESKRW/?tag=tonymacx86com-20

EVGA SuperNOVA 550 G3, 80 Plus Gold 550W, Fully Modular[/SIZE]
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01LWTS2UL/?tag=tonymacx86com-20

Corsair Hydro Series, H100i v2, 240mm Radiator[/SIZE]
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B019EXSSBG/?tag=tonymacx86com-20

Noctua Fan with Focused Flow and SSO2 Bearing, Retail Cooling NF-F12 iPPC 3000 PWM[/SIZE]
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00KFCRATC/?tag=tonymacx86com-20

Already Owned

Dell UltraSharp U3415W 34-Inch Curved LED-Lit Monitor
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00PXYRMPE/?tag=tonymacx86com-20

Samsung PM951 256GB M.2 NGFF PCIe Gen3 x4, NVME Solid state drive SSD
http://www.amazon.com/dp/B01DTXUT0K/?tag=tonymacx86com-20

Comments

I read somewhere that Coffee Lake processors with iGPU were capable of sleeping and wanted to test this. So far, no sleep. But the build is working.

I wanted fast. Really fast! Even though I don't do much other than work online. I want to do that fast, though. So, I went ahead and got an i7-8700K. Totally extravagant.

I don't do much with graphics or games. So, I don't have plans to add a GPU, but I need lots of room for browser windows. I can't recommend the U3415 enough. Its awesome. I think there is a newer version of it out there. Just buy it OK, just buy it. I used to use Mac Cinema displays. The Dell is better.

QUIET! STFU! I can't stand noise. My last build was in a SilverStone RVZ02B case. I hated it. Too noisy. So, this time I decided to go for a bigger case and go way overkill on the cooling for the sake of quietness. I probably went crazy stupid overboard here. I mounted the radiator on the bottom of the case. Sort of a weird position, I know, but the fans are blowing out and I barely ever hear anything with the fans oriented down. I seldom hear them and the CPU cores usually sit at 30 degrees with the heat sink at 40. On the top of the case, I mounted an industrial Noctua fan. This thing is kind of a monster. It almost never needs to run, the radiator fans seem to pull enough air through the case to keep things cool, BUT, if things ever do heat up, this Noctua fan barely cracks 700 rpm and you can see frost forming inside the case. Finally, I'm trying one of these EVGA power supplies because they are supposed to be quiet.

I am loving this case, except that it does not have a 5.25 bay. If it did, I would mount a hot-swap cage in it for 2.5 inch drives. As it is, this case has easily accessed 2.5 and 3.5 inch bays that you can quickly swap drives in and out of. It also has great cable organization with these rubber grommets between the compartments that the motherboard and PCI card goes into and the other chamber of the case that houses the power supply and the drives. This makes it super easy to keep it tidy and I'm sure facilitates better airflow.

Installation Notes
I will update this, but basically I took the EFI folder from a Kabylake build on a GA-H270N and used that. . I literally took the Samsung NVMe drive out of that Kabylake build, put it into this motherboard and it actually booted! Like really started up. That blew my mind.

I had to build a new SSDT to patch the USB ports, but that is really about it. This board has 6 USB3 ports on the back panel. The case has 2 USB3 ports on the front. So, 8 USB3 ports! Beyond the 15 port limit of macOS, so in my SSDT for USB, I enabled the 4 on the back and the 2 that are on the case along with one for Bluetooth. My keyboard and mouse are hooked up the Dell anyway. So, I have lots of ports left.

I took out the stock WiFi card and put in a Broadcom (I need to list that part up above, but I get them from ebay and couldn't find a link to it).

Working
-PowerManagement P and C states using Clover ACPI plugin=Yes (Go Rehabman).
-HDMI Audio (Go toleda!)
-HWSensors
-Filevault2 on HFS formatted NVMe drive

Not Working
-Sleep. I'm probably delusional thinking that I'm going to get sleep to work without a GPU. I'm honestly sort of interested in what the cheapest, crappiest GPU there is that I could put into a build like this that would enable sleep. I'd really like to get sleep working.

The Plan
I will see how this rig runs for the next week or so and see if any bugs emerge. If I'm happy with it, I need to build 14 more of these for my business. Those will be a bit different, smaller case, Coffee Lake i3's, smaller SSD. I'm already using 6 Kaby Lake builds at work and they have been AWESOME!

I will update this post over the next weeks.

Great! I'll buy this motherboard with 8600k and 960 evo. (the m.2 port on this board are both 32Gbits?)
I will have to use two monitor, one on dp port, one on hdmi, is it possible whit uhd 630?
usb-c tested?
thanks for information and I follow you.
This is my first hack
Sorry for my english....

Last edited:
Concerning the plans builds for your business: I read in erik's "Tiny But Mighty" Build, that coffee lake i3's iGPUs don't seem to be able to get acceleration in a hack. Do you have other information or do you not care about acceleration?

Great! I'll buy this motherboard with 8600k and 960 evo. (the m.2 port on this board are both 32Gbits?)
I will have to use two monitor, one on dp port, one on hdmi, is it possible whit uhd 630?
usb-c tested?
thanks for information and I follow you.
This is my first hack
Sorry for my english....
I believe both m.2 are 32Gb
I have not tested the USB-C, I will try that soon and report in

Concerning the plans builds for your business: I read in erik's "Tiny But Mighty" Build, that coffee lake i3's iGPUs don't seem to be able to get acceleration in a hack. Do you have other information or do you not care about acceleration?
That's interesting. I haven't tested a Coffee Lake i3. Given what erik found and posted, I will have to decide if I want to proceed with i5 Coffee Lake or build more Kaby Lakes. Will have to look at cost vs performance and see how that stacks up. Right now, I have build 4 i5-7600 Kaby Lakes and an i3-7350 Kaby Lakes. The i3-7350 is an interesting option, it is only dual core, but it is 4.2 GHz and $50 cheaper than the i5-7600 which is quad core 4.1 GHz. i3 7100s are dirt cheap right now too. I will see if I can build a table showing CPU cost, motherboard cost, and specs and see how this stacks up.

Installation Notes
I will update this, but basically I took the EFI folder from a Kabylake build on a GA-H270N and used that. . I literally took the Samsung NVMe drive out of that Kabylake build, put it into this motherboard and it actually booted! Like really started up. That blew my mind.

I did the same when I upgraded from Z170 to Z370. I just transplanted my SSD from old motherboard to new motherboard and made a few config.plist changes.

If you keep most/all of your hackintosh related kexts in /EFI/CLOVER/kexts/Other/, you can even do this with drives pulled from real Macs. Just copy over your working EFI folder to the pulled drive.

Not Working
-Sleep. I'm probably delusional thinking that I'm going to get sleep to work without a GPU. I'm honestly sort of interested in what the cheapest, crappiest GPU there is that I could put into a build like this that would enable sleep. I'd really like to get sleep working.

I've read some reports of successfully getting sleep to work with UHD 630. I have not personally tested...

I did the same when I upgraded from Z170 to Z370. I just transplanted my SSD from old motherboard to new motherboard and made a few config.plist changes.

If you keep most/all of your hackintosh related kexts in /EFI/CLOVER/kexts/Other/, you can even do this with drives pulled from real Macs. Just copy over your working EFI folder to the pulled drive.

I've read some reports of successfully getting sleep to work with UHD 630. I have not personally tested...
Sleep worked out of the box for me. Same main board, different processor: i3 8100 on High Sierra 10.13.2

Can you give us some more information on your config? What hard drives are you using, for instance, and what brand of memory? Also, which version of Clover, and which kernel extensions?

Maybe we can isolate the Sleep issue.

Another thing: Are you getting hardware acceleration with the iGPU? Another user here (@erik) had problems with the i3 8100.

My build is a

Board: Gigabyte Z370N Wifi
CPU: i3 8100
Memory: 16GB DDR4 2400MHz Crucial Technology
Drive: Seagate 320GB 5400.6 RPM formatted with Journaled HFS+ GPT
Clover: Classic Edition 4.60.0.0
Kexts: (I just copied everything lazily from the Clover USB stick)
AppleALC.kext
CodecCommander.kext
FakePCIID.kext
FakePCIID_Intel_HD_Graphics.kext
FakeSMC.kext
IntelGraphicsFixup.kext
IntelMausiEthernet.kext
Lilu.kext
NvidiaGraphicsFixup.kext
Shiki.kext
SmallTreeIntel82576.kext
USBInjectAll.kext
WhateverGreen.kext
XHCI-200-series-injector.kext

For the accelerated graphics, which I just got working...like I came here with excitement to this forum...I changed the default config.plist by adding IntelGFX 0x59168086 under Devices and ig-platform-id 0x59120000 under Graphics.

For the cause!

Attachments

• config.plist
    9 KB · Views: 572
  • IMG_5653.JPG
    IMG_5653.JPG
    2.6 MB · Views: 624
Thanks! This is great!

From what I can see, what your build has in common with others that got Sleep to work with Intel graphics only is that you use AppleALC and CodecCommander rather than RealtekALC.kext. The Whatevergreen extension I don't think you'll need (AMD graphics).

Also, your config.plist is more detailed (are all patches needed?) than anything I've seen so far.

What is the SmallTreeIntel extension for?

Would you mind uploading your full EFI folder?

@mille1j Maybe this will help you to get Sleep to work!
My entire EFI as per request (although you could probably just get the Clover version I have and have the same thing...) As I said before, the config.plist is pretty much the one that came with Clover plus the aforementioned graphics-related things.

Oh wait... it seems I cannot upload tar.gz or tar.xz. How should I upload this thing? It is around 25MB.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back