Contribute
Register

Success: Coffee Lake i7-8700K - GA-Z370N-WIFI

Status
Not open for further replies.
In my case 18,2 and 18,3 didn't work well, only 18.1 worked.
I tested the performance differences and stayed with the current 17.1.
Now I updated CPU to i5-9600K CPU @ 3.70GHz and changed too to MacMini 8,1 and all ok.

You just need to install in /L/E only, make sure these kexts are not in S/L/E and run Kext Utility o manually regen caches and repair permissions

In EFI/Kext only FakeSMC

I can't help you much more, it's a proven configuration as long as you have the BIOS/EFI values right.

Attach updated today EFI and L/E/ extensions...

Attachments

• EFI.zip
    22.2 MB · Views: 108
  • Extensions.zip
    1.4 MB · Views: 96
In my case 18,2 and 18,3 didn't work well, only 18.1 worked...
The .1 System Definition is for on-board graphics while the .2 & .3 are for discrete graphics cards.

I have the same motherboard, and I too stayed with 17,1 after extensive testing of 18,3 and 18,1. Might be a mb-specific thing. Thanks for sharing your experience.

Have you seen any benefits from using MacMini 8,1?

Nothing, I haven't been able to find any difference in anything, even in benchmarks.

Return to 17,1 ;)

Hi @fontanero,

Read through more or less the entire thread and was able to install Mojave 10.14.2. But suddenly it crashed and now i've been stuck in panic loop and I can't figure out why.

Current Build:
CPU: i7-8700k
Motherboard: GA-Z370N-WIFI
RAM: G.Skillz Trident Z 32GB (2x16GB)
GPU: Integrated UHD630
Harddrive: Samsung 860 EVO

Motherboard is on BIOS version F5. was thinking of going to F10 but not sure if that makes a difference.

I've tried using the EFI from this post:
https://www.tonymacx86.com/threads/success-coffee-lake-i7-8700k-ga-z370n-wifi.240887/post-1825424

Other additional configurations:
Config.plist changes:
1) ACPI -> Fixes > FixShutdown

2)find: 83FB0F0F 838F0400 00
replace: 83FB0F90 90909090 90

I'm stuck as what I would need to configure.

Hi, try with files post #393

Hi, try with files post #393
I had just tried with those files as well.

So far my process has been:
1) Create Boot drive using Unibeast
2) Copy EFI (in post #393) to EFI Mount point and Extensions into main partition.
3) Plug into one of the back USB ports
4) Boot into USB and Clover comes up
5) Select 1st option to "Boot MacOS install from Install macOS Mojave".

In verbose mode, i'm seeing that there are a few "Forcing CS_RUNTIME for entitlement"
and then eventually it panics.

Update 1:
Just upgraded BIOS to F10 and will use the EFI in #393 to see what happens after doing step 5

Update 2:
Nope no change. Any other suggestions to tweak? Or anything I can try and grab for debugging?
Also I've noticed that my M.2 SSD drive is already an APFS drive. Do I need to change that?

Last edited:
Hi. /Library/Extensions/ files are only to install in SSD/HDD when you complete installation.
When you install you should try to put as few possible.

Hi. /Library/Extensions/ files are only to install in SSD/HDD when you complete installation.
When you install you should try to put as few possible.

Thanks. But i can't seem to get into the Install MacOS without hitting the panic.

What RAM are you using? Also, I suggest checking other "successful" builds on this site to see what BIOS setting they are using. The last resort would be installing Windows to see if your hardware setup is okay.

Ram: G.SKILL TridentZ RGB Series 32GB (2 x 16GB) 288-Pin DDR4 SDRAM DDR4 3000 (PC4 24000) Desktop Memory Model F4-3000C16D-32GTZR

Thanks, I will try that.
The odd part was that I was able to install macOS and have it run a bit at one point. But, then, it crashed, and I wasn't able to get to the installer or login screen again without hitting some sort of panic error or something.
I also don't have a WiFi or Bluetooth module. So maybe I need to disable the WiFi piece some how? (I'm not planning to use WiFi or Bluetooth for now.) Would you know which part of the config.plist I would need to select to disable that?

I don't think that's necessary. However, I'd recommend getting a Broadcom wifi card, since the motherboard supports easy card replacement, and it works great provided that you get the right card type (BCM94352Z, DW1560).

I use Corsair RAM since it's on the official list of supported modules, not sure if your G.SKILL modules are on that list. (It's easy to check on the Gigabyte support page.)

I can definitely try and get a Wifi Card. Although I don't really plan on using Wifi/Bluetooth.
I believe the RAM works since I was able to get the OS installed at one point (plus it passed POST testing when booting up).

Some of the backtrace/Kernel Extension errors i'm getting are:
  • com.apple.driver.DiskImage.KernelBacked
    • Dependency: com.apple.driver.DiskImages
    • Dependency: com.apple.iokit.IOStorageFamily
  • com.appledriver.DiskImages.UDIFDiskImage
    • Dependency: com.apple.driver.DiskImages.KernelBackend
    • Dependency: com.apple.driver.DiskImages
    • Dependency: com.apple.iokit.IOStorageFamily

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back