Contribute
Register

[Success] Coffee Lake - Gigabyte Z370 HD3P - i5-8600K - MSI GeForce GTX 1080 DUKE

Status
Not open for further replies.
thanks - you know i think what happened was that my build became corrupted. i had restored from a TM backup of my old hack using migration assistant and this brought with it all kinds of crap - a bunch of old kexts in /L/E and a couple of /Extras folders. at some point while i was trying to fix the audio, i completely borked the system and had to start over, which is when i realized what had happened with the old kexts.

right now i'm injecting 11 and the audio is working perfectly.

thanks - you know i think what happened was that my build became corrupted. i had restored from a TM backup of my old hack using migration assistant and this brought with it all kinds of crap - a bunch of old kexts in /L/E and a couple of /Extras folders. at some point while i was trying to fix the audio, i completely borked the system and had to start over, which is when i realized what had happened with the old kexts.

right now i'm injecting 11 and the audio is working perfectly.

Glad I could help! Did you encounter any issues regarding your HDMI audio setup? That's the one thing I just can't figure out, but I've read other threads and articles on how some people are having the same issue even though they've followed the proper steps and what not. I've read that I may have to get a DVI to HDMI cable in order for it to work. I might give that a shot just for the heck of it.

Last edited:
Thank you! I installed the driver and everything seems to be working, the graphics card is recognised and I followed all the steps. But when I try to edit on Premiere Pro CC18 it is so slow, slower than my Macbook Pro which is the whole reason I built the hackintosh...Did I miss something? I installed the .106 Nvidia driver because the new ones apparantly lag, I patched it to work on Mac 10.13.3. Do I have to install CUDA, is that what I'm missing? I looked at the guide for CUDA but I cannot understand it...
I really hope this machine will work out for video editing...
Thank you!

Hi, yes install the CUDA driver and then enable the "Mercury Playback Engine GPU Acceleration (CUDA)" on the Project Settings dialog. (File --> Project Settings --> General...)

Image1.jpg

If the dropdown selection is not enabled then you had to insert in the Premiere folder a text file named
"cuda_supported_cards.txt"
and insert in it a line with your card, here an example:
Geforce GTX 1050
Geforce GTX 1060
Geforce GTX 1080

Then restart Premiere Pro and select the Mercury Engine from the Project Settings dialog.
If don't work check if your driver are the right ones, and restart the machine.

Let us know if everythings works fine.

Last edited:
Glad I could help! Did you encounter any issues regarding your HDMI audio setup? That's the one thing I just can't figure out, but I've read other threads and articles on how some people are having the same issue even though they've followed the proper steps and what not. I've read that I may have to get a DVI to HDMI cable in order for it to work. I might give that a shot just for the heck of it.

well, it seems that HDMI audio may or may not be working... hard to say. i used a very old video card because i have 2 30" apple monitors which have DVI inputs and you have to reach way back to find one that has 2 HDMIs. i also have an ASUS monitor with an DVI input which i connected to the card with an HDMI to DVI cable. when i do that, one of my sound options is "ASUS VS228" but if i select that as the sound output, the mac's volume slider is greyed out and there's no sound. at first i thought maybe the monitor does not have speakers, but looking in its menus i see there is a volume control. so i guess it's half-working?

on the topic of monitors, i have had a hell of a time getting those dual monitors to work. i set the system up with the ASUS monitor and then when it was working, transferred it to my office. i found that with both 30" monitors hooked up, i didn't get any video from the BIOS. and i could only ever get one monitor to work at a time, but the OS has definitely detected the monitor (it's listed in the About This Mac and i can see it in IORegistryExplorer, but it's just dark.) finally i hooked up one 30" display and the ASUS monitor and they are both working. my best guess is that because the two monitors are identical except for the serial number that some piece of software along the way is not able to distinguish between them and initializes the same one twice.

one solution would be to buy a dell 30" monitor to replace one of the apple monitors, but i guess i should ask for help in the graphics forum first.

strangely, i used the same kind of video card on my previous build (i3770k / gigabyte z77 with El Capitan) and everything worked just fine there. i guess i can try using the exact same card but the fan was failing which is why i bought another copy of the card on ebay.

well, it seems that HDMI audio may or may not be working... hard to say. i used a very old video card because i have 2 30" apple monitors which have DVI inputs and you have to reach way back to find one that has 2 HDMIs. i also have an ASUS monitor with an DVI input which i connected to the card with an HDMI to DVI cable. when i do that, one of my sound options is "ASUS VS228" but if i select that as the sound output, the mac's volume slider is greyed out and there's no sound. at first i thought maybe the monitor does not have speakers, but looking in its menus i see there is a volume control. so i guess it's half-working?

on the topic of monitors, i have had a hell of a time getting those dual monitors to work. i set the system up with the ASUS monitor and then when it was working, transferred it to my office. i found that with both 30" monitors hooked up, i didn't get any video from the BIOS. and i could only ever get one monitor to work at a time, but the OS has definitely detected the monitor (it's listed in the About This Mac and i can see it in IORegistryExplorer, but it's just dark.) finally i hooked up one 30" display and the ASUS monitor and they are both working. my best guess is that because the two monitors are identical except for the serial number that some piece of software along the way is not able to distinguish between them and initializes the same one twice.

one solution would be to buy a dell 30" monitor to replace one of the apple monitors, but i guess i should ask for help in the graphics forum first.

strangely, i used the same kind of video card on my previous build (i3770k / gigabyte z77 with El Capitan) and everything worked just fine there. i guess i can try using the exact same card but the fan was failing which is why i bought another copy of the card on ebay.

hmm thats quite strange regarding your monitor troubles. I'm gonna test mine with the DVI eventually and see what happens.

I gave up on the Nvidia card and went for a Radeon RX 560, but I seem to be having intermittent problems with video - have had a few display lockups (the computer continues to run fine, but needs to be rebooted to make the display work again).

I ended up having to use an active DisplayPort -> DVI adapter (USB bus powered) to make the 2nd monitor work with the RX 560. Apparently the HDMI port can not drive more than 1080p, but there are apparently some kext patches and/or EDID overrides that might let an HDMI port go above 1080p. Didn't try those.

seems like using iMac 18,1 solved the video lockup problems. which is weird because i don't think imac 18,1 has a discrete GPU, just built-in graphics. luckily iMessage still works even with all the same nvram data. currently i have the intel integrated graphics disabled.

seems like using iMac 18,1 solved the video lockup problems. which is weird because i don't think imac 18,1 has a discrete GPU, just built-in graphics. luckily iMessage still works even with all the same nvram data. currently i have the intel integrated graphics disabled.

Glad you solved your problem! Also good to know switching to 18,1 doesn't cause any major hiccups(knock on wood:lol:). I'm hoping to just fix this sleep wake fan issue I've been encountering, but it seems to be an issue with the Gigabyte BIOS itself. It even takes place on my Windows side of the PC, as well as other Windows based users PC's. There's multiple posts about on the Gigabyte forums, and I'm hoping they can fix it because that's the only thing I have left on my to-do list:crazy:

Hi, sorry for the silly question, as Iam new to hackintosh. You mentioned that after first booting into desktop without graphic card, then enable nvidia card. How exactly did you enable nv card?

Hmm I'll just do some more research and see what comes up. I updated all of my kexts to the latest versions in my EFI, and unchecked things in my config.plist that did not need to be checked. I also have "Enable Powernap" unchecked under my settings as well. Hopefully the powernap unchecking will fix my problem, as that is the last thing I have yet to try that I can think of.

Hi Monsterz, did you also update the EFI folder zip that you posted?
Thx

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back