Contribute
Register

[SUCCESS] Clover 10.11 - Intel 4790K, Asus Gryphon Z97, GTX970 (USB3, Graphics, HDMI Audio,Trim, Dua

Status
Not open for further replies.
Motherboard
Asus Z97 Gryphon Armour Edition
CPU
i7-4790K
Graphics
MSI GTX970 Million Edition
Mac
  1. 0
Classic Mac
  1. 0
Mobile Phone
  1. 0
Hi guys, managed to finally get El Capitan working on my computer.

Specs are:
Intel 4790K
Asus Z97 Gryphon Armour Edition
16GB (2x 8GB) Corsair Vengence LP RAM
MSI GTX970 Million Edition
Samsung 850 Pro
Broadcom BCM94360CD Wireless AC / BT4.0 (no kexts required, works straight out of the box)

USB3, Graphics, TRIM, Ethernet, Facetime, iMessage, iCloud, WiFi, Bluetooth, Dual Booting with Windows 10 (on separate drive) all works.
Audio from ALC892 unfortunately doesn't work after waking up from sleep, however this doesn't bother me too much as I use a USB microphone and HDMI Audio.

You will require a working hackintosh or need access to a Mac.

Steps:
1- Download OS X El Capitan from app store, and download and use DiskMaker X 5 to create a USB installation disk.
2- Download El Capitan Post install tools from here, Nvidia Web Drivers here (latest version at time of writing), HWSensors here, Multibeast - used to install ALC892 codec (from tonymacx86 downloads section) and Clover configurator to use later.
3- Download latest version of Clover and install onto USB stick. (Follow this guide from step 13)

Select the following customisation settings>>
Bootloader > Install boot0af in MBR
CloverEFI > CloverEFI 64-bits SATA
Drivers64UEFI > OsxAptioFixDrv-64

Replace the default config.plist file with config.plist-standard-latest (available as a download from the guide)

Add FakeSMC.kext, AppleIntelE1000e.kext, NullCPUPowerManagement.kext to /EFI/CLOVER/kexts/10.11

remove VBoxHfs-64.efi and add HFSPlus.efi at /EFI/CLOVER/drivers64UEFI
(The kext and efi files are available to download from the TonyMacx86 download section)

4- Boot from USB Drive, when you reach Clover boot menu, select Boot Install OS X from USB using the -nvdisable=1 -v flags, and follow onscreen instructions to install

It is best to remove all other internal drives while you install OS X.
Make sure you use Disk Utility and format the drive you're installing OS X on as OS X Extended (Journaled), using the GUID Partition map.

The setup will automatically restart once then installs the recovery partition, make sure you boot into the USB Clover drive using the same flags as above.
Upon the second restart, boot into the drive El Capitan is installed on using the same flags as above to complete installation.

When you reach the welcome screen, don't log into iCloud yet but complete the setup process.

5- Run Clover_v2.3k_r3270_UEFI.pkg (found in the El Capitan Post-Install Tools) and install.
6- Install HWSensors (make sure you click on customise and select everything)
7- Install the Nvidia Web Drivers
8- Use Multibeast to install ALC892 kext (make sure optional EFI Installed Bootloader Support is selected)

9- Reboot your system, and hopefully it reboots without a problem! Just a note though, after installing Nvidia drivers my display that is connected to my GTX970 via DisplayPort would always sleep on wake or boot. To fix this, make sure your display is running at DP1.1 standards, and not DP1.2. I have a 1440p 60FPS screen so this is fix works for me, but if you're gonna be running at 4K then this might be an issue.

10- to enable trim, open terminal and run: 'sudo trimforce enable' and then reboot.
11- to enable Facetime/iMessage follow this guide. Basically this will guide you through generating a working SMBIOS to allow you to use iMessage and Facetime. For maximum compatibility, I recommend you use the iMac14,2 SMBIOS as that is what I used.
12- to fix the problem where all USB ports are running at USB2 speeds, follow this guide
13- to enable HDMI Audio, download HDMIAudio1.1.dmg here (download link is a few posts down on the link) and install the Kext using KextWizard
14- Finally, I went into Clover Configurator and under the Boot section, I set Darkwake=10, and XMPDectection=Yes (to allow my RAM to run at the rated 1600MHz speeds).

15- OS X EL Capitan should be running stable now, to install Windows all you need to do is install Windows as you do normally, but make sure you unplug the El Capitan disk (as well as all other disks not being used) before you install, and to install as UEFI.

Note: For those looking for a ALC892 fix, follow this guide: http://www.tonymacx86.com/audio/151504-no-audio-after-sleep-wake-realtek-alc-applehda-fixes.html

Last edited:
Why do you use NullCPUPowerManagement? Isn't the in-kernel Power Management working for you?

I have a nearly identical system (but with GTX 760 and 32GB of memory) and I've never needed to disable power management in Yosemite onwards.

I think he just used NullCPUPowerManagement.kext for installation, like discribed in Tony's guide.
Having a natively supported CPU, you don't need that.

Yep, I only used NullCPUPowerManagement.kext for booting using my USB installation disk, as far as I'm aware I haven't got it installed after installation (so long Clover_v2.3k_r3270_UEFI.pkg doesn't automatically install it)

Personally I can't be bothered with fixing the ALC897 audio, but those that need it should follow the link posted above, I remember one of the codec-commander does fix it when I had Yosemite installed. However I also have another issue where when the audio goes into low power mode / sleep, every second there'll be a static noise which annoys the hell out of me - which is why in the end I decided to use HDMI audio.

An update to the above regarding USB3, I just found out that only one of my USB3 ports work (I got lucky as the first one I tried happened to be the only working one). For now I gave myself more USB3 ports by using a USB3 hub on that port, however I will be creating port injectors when I have time (the same guide linked in my original post shows you how)

I had to use NULLCPUPowerManagement on my rig. Not sure why, but my system would crash otherwise, if I didn't.

Are you dual booting with EFI? Or legacy? I'm trying to dual boot on my rig with EFI, but struggling. What did you do to get Win 10 working and booting from clover?

The Build worked! but no sound. How do I make sure optional EFI Installed Bootloader Support is selected when installing ALC 892?

(Update: NVM! Got it!)

Hey, could you tell how you got the sound working, mine doesn't.. thanks !

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back