Contribute
Register

Success: Catalina on Gigabyte GA-Z170X-UD5 TH

Status
Not open for further replies.
Tomorrow morning I will replicate your steps above and post my result, understanding that ultimately it did not solve the crash problem. It may enable my system to stay up longer than 5 minutes.
In case it's useful this is the complete EFI I am using. Might be worth trying.

For clarity also to rebuild the kext cache the command is:

sudo kextcache -i /

Last edited:
Thanks! This is immensely helpful. Okay, so I've removed all the Google programs from my machine (Chrome and 'Sync Backup'). Then I removed the following files
  1. /Library/Preferences/com.apple.SoftwareUpdate.plist
  2. /Library/Caches/com.apple.SoftwareUpdate/
Then I used the steps in the google note that you posted, in 'recovery mode' in the terminal to repair the file system, if this is the case

chroot /Volumes/Macintosh\ HD [note: “Macintosh HD” is the default]
rm -rf /Library/Google/GoogleSoftwareUpdate/GoogleSoftwareUpdate.bundle
mv var var_back # var may not exist, but this is fine
ln -sh private/var var
chflags -h restricted /var
chflags -h hidden /var
xattr -sw com.apple.rootless “” /var

Seems I got that right as the machine is now up again. Will see if it crashes. Will post again in a bit...
It's been up now for over an hour: No crashes yet. Am running a bunch of programs to stress test it a bit and will see if it survives overnight.

It's been up now for over an hour: No crashes yet. Am running a bunch of programs to stress test it a bit and will see if it survives overnight.
Unfortunately, this didn't fix the issue. Whilst the frequency of crashes has reduced, it still crashes. These are the console reports. Any advice appreciated. Thanks, Carl

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2019-12-03 at 6.59.29 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2019-12-03 at 6.59.29 AM.png
    137.5 KB · Views: 61
  • Screen Shot 2019-12-03 at 6.59.41 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2019-12-03 at 6.59.41 AM.png
    205.1 KB · Views: 84

Your EFI was very helpful, thank you! I reached 18 minutes without a crash, so I decided to install the 10.15.1 update from the .dmg I had downloaded. To be clear, I also have the 10.15.1 installer to do a clean install, but did not use it this morning - just the update .dmg.

I was able to install 10.15.1 and have seen stability for about 45 minutes. I haven't tested it longer than that. I was also able to make a bootable backup on an external SSD with CCC.

I deleted Chrome but could not find the other Google application on my system.

I have been rebuilding kext caches using terminal and your command, but frankly that's all over my head - so I don't know if I'm improving stabliity, etc., or when I should stop repeating that process.

I will continue to test for stability. Again, thanks for your help.

I haven't booted up since. Will time it again tomorrow morning.
This end, I have tried installing a fresh version of Catalina from the installer on a clean drive. This is a completely fresh install. With nothing else on it only Catalina 10.15.1 (macOS 10.15.1 (19B88)). Then booted using that EFI. It still crashes, frequently. A search of the console system.log file finds:

Search for "reboot" in system.log:

Dec 3 14:41:22 CarlMacDesktop suhelperd[593]: objc[593]: Class KeychainMasterHandler is implemented in both /usr/lib/libIASAuthReboot.dylib and /System/Library/CoreServices/Software Update.app/Contents/Resources/suhelperd. One of the two will be used. Which one is undefined.
Dec 3 23:09:06 CarlMacDesktop suhelperd[571]: objc[571]: Class KeychainMasterHandler is implemented in both /usr/lib/libIASAuthReboot.dylib and /System/Library/CoreServices/Software Update.app/Contents/Resources/suhelperd. One of the two will be used. Which one is undefined.

Search for "crash" in system.log:

Dec 3 14:40:41 iMac com.apple.xpc.launchd[1] (com.apple.xpc.launchd.user.domain.248.100006.Aqua): com.apple.ReportCrash (lint): Unrecognized MachService property: DrainMessagesOnCrash
Dec 3 14:42:15 CarlMacDesktop com.apple.xpc.launchd[1] (com.apple.xpc.launchd.user.domain.501.100040.Aqua): com.apple.ReportCrash (lint): Unrecognized MachService property: DrainMessagesOnCrash
Dec 3 23:08:45 CarlMacDesktop com.apple.xpc.launchd[1] (com.apple.xpc.launchd.user.domain.501.100006.Aqua): com.apple.ReportCrash (lint): Unrecognized MachService property: DrainMessagesOnCrash

Appreciate any comments / thoughts from others. I am unable to diagnose this. Thanks.

This end, I have tried installing a fresh version of Catalina from the installer on a clean drive. This is a completely fresh install. With nothing else on it only Catalina 10.15.1 (macOS 10.15.1 (19B88)). Then booted using that EFI. It still crashes, frequently. A search of the console system.log file finds:

Search for "reboot" in system.log:

Dec 3 14:41:22 CarlMacDesktop suhelperd[593]: objc[593]: Class KeychainMasterHandler is implemented in both /usr/lib/libIASAuthReboot.dylib and /System/Library/CoreServices/Software Update.app/Contents/Resources/suhelperd. One of the two will be used. Which one is undefined.
Dec 3 23:09:06 CarlMacDesktop suhelperd[571]: objc[571]: Class KeychainMasterHandler is implemented in both /usr/lib/libIASAuthReboot.dylib and /System/Library/CoreServices/Software Update.app/Contents/Resources/suhelperd. One of the two will be used. Which one is undefined.

Search for "crash" in system.log:

Dec 3 14:40:41 iMac com.apple.xpc.launchd[1] (com.apple.xpc.launchd.user.domain.248.100006.Aqua): com.apple.ReportCrash (lint): Unrecognized MachService property: DrainMessagesOnCrash
Dec 3 14:42:15 CarlMacDesktop com.apple.xpc.launchd[1] (com.apple.xpc.launchd.user.domain.501.100040.Aqua): com.apple.ReportCrash (lint): Unrecognized MachService property: DrainMessagesOnCrash
Dec 3 23:08:45 CarlMacDesktop com.apple.xpc.launchd[1] (com.apple.xpc.launchd.user.domain.501.100006.Aqua): com.apple.ReportCrash (lint): Unrecognized MachService property: DrainMessagesOnCrash

Appreciate any comments / thoughts from others. I am unable to diagnose this. Thanks.

So a complete, fresh install ...

1) Did you use UniBeast or some other method?

2) Do you have any peripheral USB devices plugged-in besides keyboard and mouse?

3) Wireless or Ethernet?

:)

This end, I have tried installing a fresh version of Catalina from the installer on a clean drive. This is a completely fresh install. With nothing else on it only Catalina 10.15.1 (macOS 10.15.1 (19B88)). Then booted using that EFI. It still crashes, frequently.

Sorry to read you are continuing to have crashes. I wish I could help as you have me. My system was up for 4 hours this morning without a crash. I would think it's something small that's causing your problem.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back