Contribute
Register

Success: Catalina on Gigabyte GA-Z170X-UD5 TH

Status
Not open for further replies.
Okay. Weird update. So I had installed 10.15.2 and a day ago it was unstable. I've just rebuild the kexts in the kernel using: sudo kextcache -i /

The machine has now been up for 4 hours and for the first time since having a Catalina install it appears to be stable. Fingers crossed

Sorry to be slow to get to this. Here are my important BIOS settings. Please let me know if you want to know more of them:

Advanced Memory Settings (X.M.P): Profile1

BIOS
Fast Boot: Disabled
Windows 8/10 Features: Other OS
Other PCI devices: UEFI

PERIPHERALS
Initial Display Output: PCIe 1 Slot
Super IO Configuration - Serial Port: Disabled
USB Configuration - Legacy USB Support: Enabled
- XHCI Hand-off: Enabled

CHIPSET
VT-d: Disabled

POWER
Platform Power Management: Disabled
Dear Rheneas: Thanks for this. My BIOS settings are the same as yours basically. And weirdly, following the upgrade to 10.15.2 and a reset of the kexts in the kernel my machine is now stable.. been up for 10 hours no crashes.. pleased to report! Best regards, Carl

SOLVED MY ISSUE: Just to add to this thread. Further diagnosis indicated that it was the DVD r/w drive that was causing 'random power downs' in Catalina. There is a patch which Trizel has put together for Clover, the discussion and patch can be found here. This is worth anyone who has a Catalina Hackintosh experiencing random shutdowns that has a DVD r/w or optical drive connected via SATA looking at:

And for ease Tizel's patch is here:

Add patch manually on KernelToPatch

Find : 636F6D2E 6170706C 65005F5F 6B65726E 656C5F5F 00
Replace : 6E6F742E 6170706C 65005F5F 6B65726E 656C5F5F 00
Comment : Disable power state change timeout kernel panic (10.15+)
MatchOS : 10.15.x

Everything working just like it was in Mojave. All I did was update to the most recent stable Clover release as well as Lilu and WhateverGreen kexts and updated from the app store. Zero issues whatsoever.
Could I ask you to please share the EFI Folder?

Any tips on using MultiBeast to set up the boot loader? I can get into Catalina using the USB to boot, but after using MultiBeast my system just hangs when booting from the SSD... Thanks

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back